Storyist Forums

Problem using iPad with Storyist

micmasters

Okay. Big time newbie here. I got Storyist for both my MacbookPro and my iPad. I'm also using syncing through Dropbox. When I worked on my story last night I added about a paragraph, not wanting to add to much until I was familiar with the software. Here are some of the things that are happening:

When I try to sync with Dropbox to my iPad I'm getting the old version. I accept the possibility of user error here.

When I go directly to Dropbox app and try to pull up my story there under the Storyist folder, it says "Unable to view file". But I created my story directly in the Storyist program on my MacBookPro.

If I try to create a new project in the app, I click on "New Project" > choose Novel > tap "Novel" under the My Projects dashboard > tap the "copy from" icon on the toolbar > tap "copy from Dropbox". My story is greyed out.

Any suggestions here are appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirsten

Hi, Kirsten, and welcome to the forums

Just guessing here, but I see a couple of possibilities.

1. You probably have two versions of the Dropbox file on your iPad, and now on Dropbox, one called mystory.story (old version) and one called something like mystory (Kirsten's iPad version DATE). The latter is the newer version of your file.

2. This is happening because you are mixing Dropbox sync and Copy from Dropbox. Bad idea. You wanna sync, then sync. You wanna copy to/from, then do that. If you mix them, Dropbox tries to help you by saving both versions. (If you worry about Dropbox--I do, even though it has never given me any reason--copy to iTunes instead before you sync.)

3. No need to start a new project and then copy from Dropbox. Just copy the project from Dropbox without starting a new project first.

Hope that helps. If not, ask again. I'll check back tomorrow morning. Steve may check in sooner, but he is probably on his way to WWDC.

Best,

marguerite

Hey Marguerite,

I think I'm doing #2. I'll stick with the one method. I do have another question though. On my iPad, when I click into the Dropbox app and then the Storyist folder, I cannot view any of the .story files. I can view .txt and .rtf though. For .story files I get the message "Unable to vew file". Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kirsten

.story files are Zipped files. Dropbox doesn't know how to open them. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the files. You can store the files on Dropbox and view them in the Storyist for iPad app, or you can use Dropbox to transfer the files between Storyist for Mac and Storyist for iPad (or just to store backup copies on your Mac). But you cannot view the files in the Dropbox app itself.

RTF, TXT, and PDF are so common that most apps know what to do with them. Storyist has yet to take over the world.... :)

Best,

M

Archived