Storyist Forums

Word export fails

bodsham

I am trying to export an 85k words file to Word. The resulting file is unreadable in Word, Nisus, Pages, everything, nor will it import back into Storyist. It does work as an rtf export but I suspect something will be lost that way, won't it?

Most likely, nothing will be lost in RTF export except your running heads. Storyist files don't contain the type of complicated formatting (footnotes and the like) that most programs strip out.

Usually RTF is the best choice for file import and export in Storyist. This is because Word defines some codes differently from other Apple programs (Microsoft is trying to maintain compatibility with its Windows versions), so fonts can change and things like that. But make sure you create the RTF file within Word if you're taking the Word to Storyist route. Word will then substitute the proper Apple codes. TextEdit doesn't always do as good a job.

You don't say exactly what you did that resulted in an unreadable file, though. I've had files show up in Word with peculiar formatting, but I've never had one that was entirely unreadable, especially by TextEdit or Pages. Perhaps if you list the steps you took, Steve or someone else can help you figure out what went wrong.

Best,

Marguerite

I am trying to export an 85k words file to Word. The resulting file is unreadable in Word, Nisus, Pages, everything, nor will it import back into Storyist. It does work as an rtf export but I suspect something will be lost that way, won't it?

It sounds like there is a problem with the file itself. Storyist uses the built-in Apple Word converter to export project data, so, unfortunately, I don't have much control over the results. What version of OS X are you running? Also, do you get the same result exporting, say, the novel template text? If so, I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. I can file a bug with Apple if necessary.

As for Word vs. RTF format for export: Storyist 1.3 uses the built-in Apple RTF converter to export project data, so there should little difference between the formats: the headers and style sheets are not exported in either case (though the formatting, of course, is exported).

Storyist 1.3 does use a custom RTF importer, which handles style sheets, so for import, RTF is the preferred format.

Storyist 1.4 (available in a few weeks) features a new RTF exporter that does export headers and style sheets, so RTF will be the preferred format for both import and export.

-Steve

I have Word 2008 and Leopard 10.5.2. I just get a message saying the file is either in use or corrupt or something. It won't open in Word, Nisus, anything. But the rtf works fine. I can't let this outside I'm afraid - my editor would kill me. But thanks for the offer - it's workable as rtf. It will have to go through Word in the end anyway for delivery and further editing, which is always going to be a pain.

It sounds like there is a problem with the file itself. Storyist uses the built-in Apple Word converter to export project data, so, unfortunately, I don't have much control over the results. What version of OS X are you running? Also, do you get the same result exporting, say, the novel template text? If so, I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. I can file a bug with Apple if necessary.

As for Word vs. RTF format for export: Storyist 1.3 uses the built-in Apple RTF converter to export project data, so there should little difference between the formats: the headers and style sheets are not exported in either case (though the formatting, of course, is exported).

Storyist 1.3 does use a custom RTF importer, which handles style sheets, so for import, RTF is the preferred format.

Storyist 1.4 (available in a few weeks) features a new RTF exporter that does export headers and style sheets, so RTF will be the preferred format for both import and export.

-Steve

I have Word 2008 and Leopard 10.5.2. I just get a message saying the file is either in use or corrupt or something. It won't open in Word, Nisus, anything. But the rtf works fine.

Thanks for the information. If the problem was corruption, it could be an issue with the Apple converter. Since 10.5.2 was just released, I'll do some extended export testing with it to see if I can reproduce your results. If the problem was "file in use", this may be a file system issue. What size does Finder report when you use Get Info?

I can't let this outside I'm afraid - my editor would kill me. But thanks for the offer - it's workable as rtf. It will have to go through Word in the end anyway for delivery and further editing, which is always going to be a pain.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was hoping that you saw the same results when exporting the text in the stock Novel template. If so, I was asking to get a look at that. If not, no worries.

-Steve

Thanks for the information. If the problem was corruption, it could be an issue with the Apple converter. Since 10.5.2 was just released, I'll do some extended export testing with it to see if I can reproduce your results. If the problem was "file in use", this may be a file system issue. What size does Finder report when you use Get Info?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was hoping that you saw the same results when exporting the text in the stock Novel template. If so, I was asking to get a look at that. If not, no worries.

-Steve

The novel template exports fine. The Word export is 964k which sounds about right. It's not a file in use issue because I still get it if I restart. Out of interest I pulled in an old book, 140k words, to Storyist and exported that. It worked fine. So it's obviously just something corrupt somewhere. I wouldn't worry too much about it - just me.

Archived