Storyist Forums

Storyist website is down?! storyist not available on iTunes???

bquigley

Hi bquigley,

There were some problems at the hosting company earlier today that caused the website to be offline for a little while. That should be resolved now.

As far as I know, Storyist was always available on iTunes (it's currently featured next to Pages in the "Apps for Writers" collection). I can search for it and find it here. Let me know if you still can't locate it.

-Steve

I just tried the site and it is back up. It was down the entire day. itunes.com and my mac says that Storyist no longer exists on itunes. The itunes "not found" may be regional (as I am in Europe), but I used several US websites to ping Storyist.com today and got nada.

I just tried the site and it is back up. It was down the entire day. itunes.com and my mac says that Storyist no longer exists on itunes. The itunes "not found" may be regional (as I am in Europe), but I used several US websites to ping Storyist.com today and got nada.

Does the link above work for you?

-Steve

Hi Steve,

we just posted at the same time.

I went to the link you posted and sure enough it showed Storyist. Then I typed Storyist in the search box on that page and it came up with "No results were found". I tried iTunes on both my Mac and PC and both give the same "No results were found". If you search for "screenplay", Storyist does not show up. Seems odd.

Glad the problem with your site was temporary. It was unfortunate, as I was not able to get to the help pages and needed to know how to sync my script on my ipad with my mac. In other words, I could use the more feature rich version of Storyist today... c'est la vie.

namaste

brian

Hi Brian,

I went to the link you posted and sure enough it showed Storyist. Then I typed Storyist in the search box on that page and it came up with "No results were found". I tried iTunes on both my Mac and PC and both give the same "No results were found". If you search for "screenplay", Storyist does not show up. Seems odd.

Odd. This is what I see using "storyist":

iTunes-2.png

As for why Storyist doesn't appear in the search results for "screenplay", your guess is as good as mine. Apple's search technology doesn't seem to provide consistent results. (Which is frustrating for developers.)

Glad the problem with your site was temporary. It was unfortunate, as I was not able to get to the help pages and needed to know how to sync my script on my ipad with my mac. In other words, I could use the more feature rich version of Storyist today... c'est la vie.

Do you have the information you need now?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reply. I'm still spending a lot of my time trying to figure this all out and not spending time writing. :(

iPad - successfully set up for one touch sync with Dropbox, and it works fine.

Mac - opened the Dropbox folder and open my project and only see the latest version of my script on my iPad, but *not* plot, notebook, etc.

I really hate being dependent on Dropbox or being forced to use any other third party service that comes between me and my technology.

I would rather use a one touch synch directly between my iPad and Mac via WiFi or Bluetooth, and, as backup via a cable connection. Maybe you have this already but I am not able to find it when I google "storyist sync ipad to mac" or "storyist sync mac" or "storyist sync files between devices" etc. It is quite frustrating.

The writing aspect of your software is terrific. I am pulling my hair out with synching between devices.

namaste

brian

Hi, Brian:

The only one-touch sync between Storyist for iPad and Storyist for Mac is via Dropbox. You can open the Dropbox file directly in the Mac version of Storyist: you will always have the latest version (assuming that you remembered to use one-tap sync before closing); there is no effect on performance; and once you have opened the Dropbox version once, you can just leave it open in Storyist when you quit the Mac version, and it will "remember" that you want to work on that file when you start up again. You can retrieve previous versionseven deleted filesthrough Dropbox itself if you need them. You can also get to the file, after you open it for the first time, from Recent Files (in the File menu). Hence you don't even need a one-click sync feature on the Mac: set it up properly, and when you open Storyist, the file is there.

If your notes, etc., are not showing, is it possible that you have hidden the Project View? Choose "Show Project View" from the View menu, and the complete list should appear on the left. It will stay there until you hide it again, even if you have to call it up manually on the iPad.

If you hate syncing through Dropbox (I do what follows as a backup), you can export the file to iTunes on the iPad. Next time your iPad is connected to your Mac, click on the Apps tab and scroll down until you see Storyist in the list of Apps That Can Share Files. Click on it. Your file will be listed, and you can drag it to your desktop. You add files by dragging them in or by clicking Add and selecting them. It's not one-tap, but it is a viable alternative.

The one thing you want to avoid if possible is casually importing a file from iTunes, then syncing with Dropbox. You won't lose anything, but you will end up with two versions of the file. If that happens, just delete the one with the original name (say, myscreenplay.story) and rename the one now called myscreenplay.story (Brian's iPad version DATE). Also be aware that if you delete a file from your iPad, then sync to Dropbox, the file will be deleted from Dropbox, too (you can get it back, as mentioned).

Hope that helps.

Marguerite

Archived