Storyist Forums

No emphasis after exporting to ePub

rayneyday

Hi all,

I'm new and I just had a quick and hopefully simple question. (I'm not even sure whether I'm posting in the right place.)

I've noticed that when I export to Word or Pages, the emphasis I use - usually underline - translates fine into those programs. But when I export to ePub, there's nothing - no underline, no italics, just plain text like the text around it.

Is there something I'm missing? I'd really like to be able to do this, so Storyist could be my one-stop shop for all my writing.

Hi, rayneyday, and welcome to the forums.

I have no trouble getting italics and bold to show up in my ePub files. Could you say a bit more about how you're applying the emphasis? Does the problem affect only underlines, or bold and italics as well?

Best,

Marguerite

Hi Marguerite,

Certain words and sentences require underlined text, so I use highlight and cmnd+U, if that's what you mean. Otherwise, I'm a bit lost. When I export the file, I select .epub as the option (rather than text files or such), select My Manuscript, my title page, and my cover page, put them in order, and then export them to a file in the novel's specific folder. There's no option that asks me whether I want to keep the emphasis or not. Oddly, the emphasis shows up fine in .pdfs and .docs, just not in .epub.

The problem is with underlines and italics. I have not tried bolding anything, but I imagine it's the same.

Edit: I'm also having a problem with justified text translating into ePubs.

Hi, rayneyday:

That's odd, because I just checked the last ePub I exported from Storyist, and the italics and justification are there. In general, ePub is a very simple format, because it has to reflow if a reader decides to change the font. But it's not so simple that it can't include italics. I produce them just the same way you do, I select the word or phrase and hit Command-I.

I asked because some books tell you to use character styles instead for ePub, which in my experience doesn't work that well—at least not from Storyist.

So I'm stumped. Maybe Steve Shepard, our Fearless Developer, can suggest a solution. At least you know that it is possible. The trick is figuring out why it's not working for you.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi Marguerite,

Thanks so much for your help! I still haven't quite figured out how to get the emphasis to work - I got it one time, but the text wound up way too small. I took some screenshots, if that helps.

What it looks like in Storyist,

what it looks like after exporting as PDF,

what it looks like as an ePub rendered in a browser,

and what it looks like in iBooks on my phone.

I am glad to know it's possible - thanks! As for Steve Shepard, do you happen to know how I can get a hold of him, just for extra insight?

Thanks again!

Rayneyday

Archived