Storyist Forums

Procrastination Station

Steve E

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know what makes packing nice? Eating strawberry ice cream, playing video games, and decidedly NOT packing. :P

Sounds like you've found the secret. :( Ain't moving the pits?! Hope you still get along with your parents after six weeks in their spare room, although I guess you can build up steam for the move that way!

But congratulations on having set the date--I know, I'm a week behind.... Five chapters of my new story and counting, although at least one of them already needs, ahem, a major overhaul.

You never said, what part of New Hampshire are you moving to? And are you driving cross-country? Everyone should do that once: it's a fascinating experience, especially for a writer.

Best,

Marguerite

P.S. What's happening with the Pedro Pan/biography project? Or are you working on something else these days?

Mm, nice picture Thoth.

Five chapters! Go M! Cheers to you on that.

We're moving to Dover, NH. We'll be staying with Alex's friends until we can find a place. We might have enough to actually have a down payment on a house, which would be all sorts of exciting and terrifying. We're driving cross-country. I'm not sure how that's going to go down, but it will be an adventure for sure!

My father-in-law's bio is still on the slate. I got so caught up in the project I'm working on now that the bio kinda took a backseat. Someday.

- Calli

Hi Calli.

I'm curious. What made you choose Dover, NH? I Googled it, pulled up the map view (which had several pretty pictures), and looked around. If you haven't yet, you should. Do you know that the village (sorry but anyplace with under 30,000 people qualifies as a village in my eyes) has an AmTrak station? You might consider going by train. But a road trip is more of an adventure. You'll get to see all those fly-over states (sorry Isaac) as you stop for gas, over and over again, and take in the local color. (How's your milage?) One more thought. A town that doesn't have much development (for preservation reasons) might not have much housing turnover.

Ten Fun Things To Do In Dover.

M, way to go.

-Thoth.

(sorry but anyplace with under 30,000 people qualifies as a village in my eyes)

If under 30,000 is a village, what are those little places I used to run into in Illinois with population ~1000? Encampments? Hobbles? In denial about being a suburb?

Let's hang out at the DQ, then go shoot rats at the dump.

From the land of many golf courses,

IF

If under 30,000 is a village, what are those little places I used to run into in Illinois with population ~1000? Encampments? Hobbles? In denial about being a suburb?

A huddle.

Let's hang out at the DQ, then go shoot rats at the dump.

Sound like fun! But we don't have to go all the way to the dump. The trash bin in back of the DQ will do. Just close your eyes and fire randomly. You're bound to hit one.

From the land of many golf courses,

IF

From the land of many indoor driving ranges and "closet" putting greens,

-Thoth

Mm, nice picture Thoth.

Five chapters! Go M! Cheers to you on that.

We're moving to Dover, NH. We'll be staying with Alex's friends until we can find a place. We might have enough to actually have a down payment on a house, which would be all sorts of exciting and terrifying. We're driving cross-country. I'm not sure how that's going to go down, but it will be an adventure for sure!

My father-in-law's bio is still on the slate. I got so caught up in the project I'm working on now that the bio kinda took a backseat. Someday.

- Calli

Looks like a nice, quick run to Boston or Portland, ME, if you get bored--both great places to hang out. Good choice!

Driving cross-country is great fun. I did it twice in the late 70s/early 80s (when gas was admittedly a lot cheaper). Long hours in the car, but all those neat little diners and such. If Jane and Michael Stern's Road Food is still in print (especially if it's been updated sometime in the last two decades!), treat yourself to a copy and you can hunt down all kinds of neat truck stops and places you'd never pick out from the pack on your own.

What's the latest, then? The goram fires book?

Best,

M

Thoth:

We're driving because we need a] to have our car when we get there and b] to bring our cat. Our car gets 34 mpg in the city, more on the freeway. Gas will be our biggest expense, but we're well aware of it and have budgeted accordingly. We're moving to Dover for the time being because that's where his friends live and work. (Remember, the video game company?) We're not entirely sure we'll get a house in Dover, but right now, Prudential has 90 residences under 200k listed, which isn't bad. Who knows, we could live in Lee! Look that one up! And you can't see it from Google, but it's a gorgeous place. Full of trees. AND! No buildings above the treeline! How awesome is that? That's gorram awesome. :P Thanks for the link - I was wondering where the Farmer's Market was, but I hadn't had the time to look it up!

LadyM:

Having never lived on the east coast (does a year and a half stint in Georgia count?), I've got to say I'm really excited. It seems like you can go to so many different places so quickly. If you drive two hours here, you're still in California. Try the same thing there and who knows where you'll be! It's so neat to think about. I'm not sure I could eat at 80% of the places along the way. Wheat is everywhere. :( Current project is my little sci-fi brain explosion I had after Andy died and I realized I just didn't like writing fantasy.

- Calli

Hi Calli.

Thoth:

We're driving because we need a] to have our car when we get there and b] to bring our cat. Our car gets 34 mpg in the city, more on the freeway. Gas will be our biggest expense, but we're well aware of it and have budgeted accordingly. We're moving to Dover for the time being because that's where his friends live and work.

The cat's?

(Remember, the video game company?)

Oh.

Who knows, we could live in Lee! Look that one up! And you can't see it from Google, but it's a gorgeous place. Full of trees.

For your convenience: Lee Website.

AND! No buildings above the treeline! How awesome is that?

Back in the late 70's I worked in Wilton, CT. The local witches put a curse on us because our building was taller than their church. Long story short, the company is no more.

Are we gorram awesome today?

-Thoth.

LadyM:

Having never lived on the east coast (does a year and a half stint in Georgia count?), I've got to say I'm really excited. It seems like you can go to so many different places so quickly. If you drive two hours here, you're still in California. Try the same thing there and who knows where you'll be! It's so neat to think about. I'm not sure I could eat at 80% of the places along the way. Wheat is everywhere. :( Current project is my little sci-fi brain explosion I had after Andy died and I realized I just didn't like writing fantasy.

- Calli

You can't eat gluten? You will have a time. The Great American Middle, not to mention the Southeast and large chunks of Maine, are white-bread paradise (perhaps the reason the Middle is so Great :P). Maybe Felis felis will condescend to share his chow (although you have to check the ingredient list even then).

Good luck out there, sister,

M

• 2 weeks later...

Lil update: Looks like we're going to be tacking on an extra thousand(!) miles to our trip and taking the southern route. Alex calculated it out and we'd actually be saving money because we've got places to stay/visit all the way up to Mississippi. So. Yeah.

/exhausted

• 2 weeks later...
Any thoughts on how long it will take us to reach 3000 posts?

This is post #2906 in the Forum. Only #140 here in Procrastination Station (see upper right corner).

-Thoth.

And the answer is....(drum roll)....nine days.

At this rate we'll hit 4,000 posts before the end of the year.

-Thoth.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! We're here in New Hampshire! We just put down a security deposit on a place, so hopefully we'll a have a more permanent place to stay in a few days. We're staying with one of Alex's friends. (And he fixed my computer while we were on the road! :D All my files are okay!)

Looking forward to getting my stuff into a house and out of boxes,

Calli

Hi guys! We're here in New Hampshire! We just put down a security deposit on a place, so hopefully we'll a have a more permanent place to stay in a few days. We're staying with one of Alex's friends. (And he fixed my computer while we were on the road! :D All my files are okay!)

Calli

Congrats! I find unpacking to be a half-life process. Every 6 months, I unpack half of the boxes that are left over. I've still got about three more to go (after 4 1/2 years).

IF

Calli

Congratulations! :D

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your new home, or the trip to NH, once you're ready.

So your computer's fixed, you're settling in. Now seems like a good time to jot down some notes in Storyist about your adventures on the road. (I smell a Pulitzer. Or is that lunch cooking?)

BTW, I agree with Isaac about unpacking being a half-life process. I have some boxes I still haven't unpacked from my 1981 move. God (or EAOs) only knows what has evolved in there after all this time. And I still haven't unpacked my rehab duffle. What is it about unpacking?

Blessed be your new dwelling.

-Thoth.

Congratulations! :D

Blessed be your new dwelling.

-Thoth.

Couldn't have said it better! Yes, congrats on making the big trek east, and glad your Mac found its marbles on the way. Good luck with the housing.

Ah, unpacking. My experience is if you don't unload it in two weeks, it remains in boxes forever because you didn't really need it in the first place. I carted stuff around (tons of stuff!) from place to place for about 10 years, then chucked all the unopened boxes (so I wouldn't be tempted to cart it any further). But I swear the ones that made it to the next site have been reproducing like crazy out there in the garage.... We did another clean-out last spring, and wouldn't you know it, the little dears are already supplying a new generation.

Aw, widdle boxes. Aren't they cute?! :D

Finally shut of beastly time-consuming work and ready to check out the new Storyist this weekend!

Best,

Marguerite

Thanks guys. We got a place today; we move in on Tuesday. :D I'll post pictures when we get the keys. As for the boxes, I threw so much away before we moved that I don't think anything is going unpacked. I guess that's the good thing about moving in your car?

- Calli

Thanks guys. We got a place today; we move in on Tuesday. :D I'll post pictures when we get the keys. As for the boxes, I threw so much away before we moved that I don't think anything is going unpacked. I guess that's the good thing about moving in your car?

- Calli

Calli, I found this useful. I thought you might as well:

Unpacking in 10 Steps.

-Thoth.

Archived