Storyist Forums

Opening a Scrivener Project not working

JohnDarr

Hi Darrell,

The Scrivener version shouldn't make a difference, especially if you're using the latest version of Scrivener. Let me ask you a few questions:

1. Does the project have the .scriv extension? If not, try adding it.
  2. What happens when you click Open?
  3. Does this happen with just the project you selected, or all projects?

-Steve

Hi Darrell,

Finally!

It worked on my fourth try.

Glad to hear your up and running. I'm curious about what happened times 1-3 though. Are there any Storyist entries in the Console log?

If it happens again, please let me know. I'd be happy to take a look at any file that gives you trouble.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

I have to apologize. I think Storyist did work the first three times. When I bought software, I opened a new novel project to look around. When Storyist opens a Scrivener project, it gives it the same "Untitled" title that it does with a new project, instead of the actual Scrivener project name. Also, all folders are collapsed even if they were expanded in the original Scrivener project. In my haste (red-faced), I thought the same new project window was opening.

Everything's working. : )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi vitomar,

If you have a very simple project, please send it to the support address along with information about which versions of Storyist, Scrivener, and OS X you're running so we can investigate.

Also, if you do see a crash, please send the crash report to Storyist when prompted. Crash reports contain useful information.

-Steve

In order to test the Scrivener compatibility I created a new Scrivener project using the blank template and saved it. This very simple project was correctly opened by Storyist. I am seeing what is wrong with my original projects. I am in the process of moving from Scrivener to Storyist. I bought the Mac version and the iPad version of Storyist and I was impressed by the perfect sync process and the beauty and simplicity of Storyist. Thus, I am trying to transfer my previous work with Scrivener to Storyist. However, I wonder if my scriv projects are too complex to import or there are features (for instance in the Research folder) that are not imported. Is there an adequate description of which kind of features are not imported by Storyist from scriv files? I think that this point should be clearly stated in the Manual.

I use Yosemite, Scrivener 2.6 and Storyist 3

I tried to create a novel scriv file and I succeeded in importing in Storyist. Then I tried to import my previous complex file and the import was made apparently correctly. I do not why, but now the import is working. There is some temporary problem. I am not able to say what is changed, not having restarted my Mac or made any other change.

Thanks vitomar. You're running the most up-to-date versions.

By the way, Storyist should work fine with larger, more complex projects. However, if you find one that doesn't import successfully, please let me know. I'll fix it right away.

-Steve

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm joining this thread - same problem here! I've installed Storyist and am trying it out in demo mode, but can't open any of my Scrivener projects. No crashing, but when I select the Scrivener project to open, and click OK, nothing happens. I've tried opening projects both with and without the .scriv extension, and that doesn't make any difference that I can see. Nothing doing!

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.1, Scrivener 2.6, and Storyist 3.0.4.

Katie

Hi Katie,

Welcome to the forums.

Can you tell me a little more about what happens after you click OK? For example, does the Open panel disappear? Does a window open?

Note that in the current version, there is no initial selection, so the Tutorial, for example, looks like this:

Tutorial.png

Since this is a new project, it is unsaved (and has the title "Untitled"), so saving it won't overwrite your original project.

-Steve

Thanks for the speedy reply. When I click OK, the open panel disappears, but no window opens, and... nothing happens. Storyist seems happy enough, and I can create a new document, or try again to open a document, but it just won't ever actually open the Scrivener project I've selected.

K

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I just tried and failed to duplicate this problem. I opened two files created in Scrivener and never previously opened in Storyist. There was a momentary hiccup when nothing appeared to happen except for the Open button going blue, then the window closed and there was another small hiccup while Storyist performed the conversion. But then each file (I opened them separately, as a double test) opened with all its parts complete.

I am still using Mavericks, so perhaps there's an issue specific to Yosemite?

Best,

Marguerite

Hi katiee,

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce your issue. Would you be willing to send a small project that shows the problem to the support address? If I can reproduce the problem, I'll fix it for you right away.

-Steve

BTW, I'd be happy to send you a temporary license to extend your trial period.

Thanks. Sorry to keep this on the forums when it should really have gone into an email conversation, but I emailed you the Scrivener project on 23/2 and haven't yet had a reply, or even an acknowledgement that my email was received. It's support@storyist.com, right?

Katie

Archived