Storyist Forums

Slow doing any actions while using the screenplay template

YellowOwl

Hello,

I have used Storyist for many many years on my iPad and absolutely loved it however I recently bought the 3.0.4 Mac version. Prior to using Storyist on Mac I was using Movie Daft SE for scriptwriting on my previous and was looking to transfer my old script to Storyist on my newer computer.

I copied and pasted my copy of my script of into Storyist and have had to go over each area and change the style in order reformat it correctly with this program.

What I have found is that doing any kind of re-customization on Storyist towards my old script in Storyist makes the program extremely slow to nearly unresponsive.

For example going from one line to another, deleting letters or even changing the style often leads the program to become extremely slow and unresponsive until I move the mouse over to the dock then the previous actions follow suit. It's proven to be extremely annoying and cumbersome. It's made a process that should have taken a day or two to nearly a week or two and I am only half done it.

Is there something I am doing wrong or is this a bug with the program?

My computer is a MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz intel Core i&, 8 GB of RAM, 10.10.1 OS X Yosemite.

Hi YellowOwl,

There isn't a known performance issue with Storyist 3.0.4 on 10.10.1. Try this:

1. Download Big-Fish.fountain from the Fountain site.
  2. Create a new Storyist project from the Blank template.
  3. Drag Big-Fish.fountain from your downloads folder to the project view of the new project. This will import the script and set up the stylesheet appropriately.
  4. Save the project.

When you edit the Big Fish script, do you see the same performance issues? If not, let me know. The next step is to take a look at your script.

-Steve

Hi YellowOwl,

Another thought: If you've pasted a large script from Movie Draft but haven't yet applied the Scene Heading style to your scene headings, you can do this quite easily as follows:

1. Choose Format > Style > Apply Styles by Matching Text
  2. Verify that the styles match the screenshot below.
  3. Click OK.

ApplyStyles.png

Your scenes should each now have the properly scene heading styles. This would speed things up some.

(Unfortunately, you'll need to apply the other styles manually.)

That said, the easiest way to get a script from Movie Draft SE to Storyist would be to export the script in Final Draft format and then just drag that file to Storyist's project view.

-Steve

I have tried both options. Loading big fish into a new project and editing it doesn't seem to create the same slow down I am experiencing with my script. The other suggestion does help with the scene headings.

I have lost the Movie Draft version of my script (was on old computer, long story) and only have a PDF version of my old script which is where I copy and pasted it from.

I have attached the script save file to this reply. Let me know if anything else is else is needed.

The Goaltender (screenplay).story

Hi YellowOwl,

Hmmm. I'm not seeing the slowdown on a MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz intel Core i7 with 16 GB of RAM on 10.10.1 OS X Yosemite. Now that we're working from the same source, can you give me a specific example of what is slow?

By the way, Highland does a pretty good job of converting from PDF to Final Draft. If you've got a few scripts to convert, it might be worth the investment. (If this is the only script, I'd be happy to do the conversion for you if you send the PDF to the support address.)

-Steve

The problem was doing any kind of action was causing a slow down basically. However I was going to locate the page where I currently was though the previewing it in PDF when it cause my computer to crash. Now reopening the file, it all seems to be moving smoothly now with no slow down.

I am fairly certain that I have restarted my computer prior and the issue still occurred. Either way its not occurring anymore.

Thank you for your help either way. I will reply back if this issue reoccurs and we could do the highland way as this was the only script I needed converted.

Thank you

Archived