Storyist Forums

New standard character sheet

Narayume

Is there a way of creating a new default character sheet for a project? To exemplify what I mean: I am writing a fantasy story and most of my characters are non-human, so having "race" on all my sheets would be useful. Currently I have to pull up an existing sheet and copy over the categories for five minutes whenever I make a new sheet.

Hi - I'm sure Steve or someone will be along to give a more detailed response, but I've added race to my character sheets just by adding a custom 'race' field under 'Description' on the character sheets (right click on an existing category > Add field...> Custom). Once created it's in the list of fields to add to each new character sheet. Yes, you'd have to manually add them to each new sheet, but no need for copying and pasting... (if I've misunderstood I apologise, I'm pretty bad at organising my character, and just have them running around my head shouting at each other :) )

I also notice that there's a File > Save as Template... option that would presumably preserve this if you wanted to use the same project settings for another project (although I've not tested that, as I have gone with multiple manuscripts inside the same project)

-Nick

Hi - I'm sure Steve or someone will be along to give a more detailed response, but I've added race to my character sheets just by adding a custom 'race' field under 'Description' on the character sheets (right click on an existing category > Add field...> Custom). Once created it's in the list of fields to add to each new character sheet. Yes, you'd have to manually add them to each new sheet, but no need for copying and pasting... (if I've misunderstood I apologise, I've pretty bad at organising my character sheets, and just have them running around my head shouting at each other :) )

That's how I am doing it at the moment, which is a bit of a hassle as I have a lot of custom categories. If there isn't a way to change the template though, it will continue doing fine. It's great that you can customise the sheet at all in my opinion :)

I also notice that there's a File > Save as Template... option that would presumably preserve this if you wanted to use the same project settings for another project (although I've not tested that, as I have gone with multiple manuscripts inside the same project)

I've played with this, but it keeps giving me a project template, as if it will add it along with Fiction Novel and Screenplay, which isn't really what I want. I want a new character template. If I am misunderstanding this option though, I apologise.

Archived