Storyist Forums

Using backspace results in font change or the exorcism of Lucida

Narayume

I am currently writing using the Default Style with the font set to GB18030 Bitmap. However whenever I use the backspace key to delete something I have written and then start typing again, the font has invariably changed to Lucida Grande with the Default Style information now reading as "Default Style + Font: Lucida Grande". Sadly I would not be an author in the days of the typewriter and spent plenty of time having to delete and re-write sections, words, sentences, really anything with letters in it, which makes this bug or feature particularly irritating? Pray say, is there a ghost in this machine which wishes the text to be in Lucida Grande? Is it a keyboard shortcut which I have accidentally misaligned? Is it a particularly obscure bug produced in the dead of night by the creators to express their undying love of Lucida Grande? Whatever it is: How do I get rid of it? Out, out fowl deamon! Quit this place with your Lucida! I shall write with awkwardly squished letters no more!

Hi Narayume,

Well that's a new one!

What version of OS X are you running? I'm not familiar with GB18030 Bitmap, but Lucida Grande is the default system font on Mavericks and earlier, and I suspect one of two things are happening:

1. If you're backspacing within a paragraph and Lucida Grande appears when you type, the characters you are typing may not have a representation in the font, so the system substitutes an appropriate font, which could be the default font.
  2. If you're backspacing into the last paragraph and then pressing return, Storyist is probably applying fonts from the "next style" as specified in the style definition for that paragraph.

Pressing the return key at the end of a paragraph causes Storyist (and many other word processors that support styles) to check the style applied to that paragraph and read the "next style" setting. If there is one, it applies the formatting properties from that "next style" to the new blank paragraph after the paragraph return.

This is how, for example, Storyist knows to apply the Section Text style when you press return at the end of a paragraph having the Chapter Title style in the Novel template.

If you don't want Storyist to apply a "next style" simply edit the style definition and change the "next style" setting popup to read "No Value."

-Steve

I am backspacing within a paragraph, often within a word. I know of and use the "next style" shortcut regularly.

I'm afraid I'm running Yosemite. OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5 and Storyist Version 3.1.2 (3113).

I don't really know much about GB18030 Bitmap either - I just went down the font options and this one resonated with me for this particular story.

Hi Narayume,

OK, thanks for the additional information. The fact that you're on Yosemite makes it somewhat stranger. What happens if you use a different default font? It would be good to rule out the font as the culprit.

-Steve

Right! Experiment 1: Changed the font under Default Style>Edit Style... to Mshtakan to make it look different. Backspacing through empty space does nothing, but as soon as backspace hits a letter it changes this font to Times. A look at the top right window confirms "Default Style + Font: Times".

Experiment 2: Used default font (Courier) as Section Text. Backspacing with no trouble.

Experiment 3: Used Courier as Default Style (same procedure as in experiment 1). Backspacing with no trouble.

Experiment 4: Used Times New Roman as Default Style. Backspacing with no trouble.

Experiment 5: Keeping the Default Style as Times New Roman, I then changed the font back to GB18030 Bitmap. This worked the first time, but as soon as I backspaced the font was gone, even though the drop down menu still clearly said GB18030 Bitmap. Interestingly enough I couldn't reproduce the effect. From then on, when I chose GB18030 Bitmap the font reverted to default while writing.

Experiment 6: Same as 5, but using Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold. Font changes dutifully and remains the same even after backspacing.

Experiment 7: Same as 5, but using Academy Engraved LET. The results were the same as in Experiment 5, but now sticking with Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold, which is neither on the drop down menu nor in the Default Style.

Essentially it looks like my list of fonts includes a fair number which aren't actually available and using the backspace key seems to remind the program that they aren't. Any chance of a way to filter out the unsupported ones (providing my assumption is correct)?

Hi Narayume,

Ah! So it was the first case. When the system tries to render a character from a font and can't find the character in the font, it chooses a substitute.

For example: Mshtakan is a font containing glyphs for the Armenian script. It doesn't have glyphs for many latin characters as you can see from the attached Font Book screenshot.

All_Fonts__1_of_401_Fonts_.png

When OS X encounters latin characters, it can't render them in Mshtakan, so it chooses another font.

If you're writing in English, you'll want to use fonts that contain latin characters. The "English" collection in the Font panel contains appropriate fonts.

Fonts.png

-Steve

Archived