Storyist Forums

Fountain Exporter creating extra returns in single-spaced lines

manjusri

Hello Storyist Forums,

I'm writing screenplays using fountain syntax. However, I can't figure out how to get Storyist's fountain exporter NOT to add extra returns in-between single-spaced lines of text.

Has anyone figured this out?

I'm writing in a Storyist Text File and decreasing the After Paragraph spacing from 10 to 0.

However, the fountain exporter exports:

JOHN

(into phone)

I'm on my way.

as:

JOHN

(into phone)

I'm on my way.

And thus it breaks the fountain syntax and cannot be rendered in screenplay format without fixing this in the exported file first.

This is the same for any instance of a manual, single-spaced return, such as indented action text:

Room 492

Calzone

Exports as:

Room 492

Calzone

Any fixes for this behavior?

I realized that I can simply use Storyist's text file exporter as an alternative, and that eliminates these issues completely. The text exporter exports exactly what's on the page without adding any extra returns.

But I'm curious why it's fountain exporter doesn't export exactly what's on the page, and if there's a way to fix it.

Thanks!

Hi manjusri,

Are you editing a plain text file with a .txt extension?

The Fountain exporter is designed to translate script styles in Storyist and Final Draft files into Fountain markup. Plain text files are considered to have the body text style (and only the body text style), so the Fountain exporter is interpreting it as action. That is why you're seeing the double spacing.

If you're editing a plain text file and including Fountain markup yourself, just export it instead as plain text. That way Storyist won't try to mark up your work.

Another option is to edit a Fountain file with the .fountain extension.Storyist formats the script for you, and you can edit it using the built-in WYSIWYG screenplay editor with tab and return shortcuts, smart text, etc...

You'll find more information about editing Fountain files in Editing Fountain Files with Storyist for iOS.

-Steve

Ah! Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I really appreciate it.

I now understand what the fountain exporter's designed to do.

Yes, I was writing in a Storyist Text File and exporting as fountain, but now understand that that's not its purpose.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Archived