Storyist Forums

Moving image and character files

Julie

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to move an image and character file from one project to another.

Right now I have two projects, Book 1 and Book 2. They share some characters between them. Is there a simple way to move or copy a character sheet/setting/etc from Book 1 to Book 2?

It's a waste of time to retype information or go searching in my photo app for images I already have in Storyist.

Help?

Thank you.

No, I'm afraid it's not. If you've got the Mac version it's easy enough to copy and paste a character sheet from one project to another as a text file or notebook entry. On iOS, though, it's not really practical.

You could keep both Books in the same project or gut one to keep the characters etc, and paste your manuscript in.

Since I use Dropbox, is it possible to move these types of files using the Dropbox app on an iPad?

Thing is, I don't have a Mac desktop, I have a Windows computer (Dell).

I guess cut and paste could work, from one book file to another onto the character sheets?

It'd be great if character files, etc could be independent of the project files.

Well, your story file is a zip, so you can right click it and view the contents with an unzip utility. This is good for getting your images, (if you're not sure where they're at otherwise) but not so good for getting your character sheets or anything else, really.

The most straight-forward approach might be to just export the characters you need to dropbox, then import them into the project you need them in. These will be rtf files, though, not "character sheets." You'll have to copy/paste if you want it in a "character" sheet.

Julie,

Have you already started the new project? If not, the easiest thing is to copy the existing file and use that as the basis of your new file, deleting (or, better, moving to an "Unneeded Characters" folder for later retrieval if necessary) whatever you don't need.

You can save individual files to RTF, and import those into the new file, but the information doesn't slot right in where it was. On the Mac, you can save a file as a template, but basically you're just making a copy of it when you do that, so copying the original file works just as well.

If you've only written new text (in the manuscript, I mean), then you can copy the file with the characters and use copy/paste to transfer the text. But if you have to blend two sets of characters, saving to RTF and importing is probably your best bet. In that case, you want to Copy to iTunes and Copy from iTunes (it won't matter if you don't have iTunes on your Windows computer, because this is all internal to the iPad).

Hope that helps, and welcome!

Marguerite

Archived