Storyist Forums

Distraction action

codemer

Do you know how hard it is to write when your cat keeps coming and lying down on your arm? I think he's attracted to the heat of my powerbook. I've booted him off so many times now that I just don't have the heart to keep pushing him away. What to do...

Warm elbowed,

IF

Do you know how hard it is to write when your cat keeps coming and lying down on your arm? I think he's attracted to the heat of my powerbook. I've booted him off so many times now that I just don't have the heart to keep pushing him away. What to do...

Warm elbowed,

IF

Your cat seems to be more attracted to your warm elbow than your powerbook. Then again, maybe he just wants attention. This is easy to test. Put a (disposable) blanket through the dryer until it's nice and toasty. Then put the blanket nearby. My cousin tried this and it worked for one cat. The other had to be distracted by a "mouse" toy.

Cool elbowed and currently catless,

-Thoth

BTW: I hear that some male cats do this to establish dominance in the household. Does he try to...ahem... mark his territory around you?

Your cat seems to be more attracted to your warm elbow than your powerbook. Then again, maybe he just wants attention. This is easy to test. Put a (disposable) blanket through the dryer until it's nice and toasty. Then put the blanket nearby. My cousin tried this and it worked for one cat. The other had to be distracted by a "mouse" toy.

Cool elbowed and currently catless,

-Thoth

BTW: I hear that some male cats do this to establish dominance in the household. Does he try to...ahem... mark his territory around you?

My cats show up an hour before dinnertime, and it's no coincidence. One of them plants himself in front of my monitor and pats it with his paws, resisting all attempts to encourage him to leave short of physical carting off. Even that only works for a few minutes. At best, I can persuade him to lie on the printer, which I'm sure doesn't do the poor machine much good.

They also like to tear up the stairs and roll around on my desk, kicking and biting and throwing all my books on the floor.

But when they're not trying to provoke me into feeding them, their only concern is who's going to lie in my lap as I type.

Marguerite

He is just an old cat you likes to be around his family. No marking problems. He used to very skiddish (we think he was abused), but now he's not afraid of anything (including children pulling on ears and tails or thrown stuffed animals trying to dislodge him from sitting in front of the television screen again).

The younger cats usually won't bother me when I have my computer, except our girl sometimes comes and lies on my shoulder.

My cats show up an hour before dinnertime, and it's no coincidence. One of them plants himself in front of my monitor and pats it with his paws, resisting all attempts to encourage him to leave short of physical carting off. Even that only works for a few minutes. At best, I can persuade him to lie on the printer, which I'm sure doesn't do the poor machine much good.

I hope you bought the cat protection plan for your printer. Another favorite spot for our cats is in front of the vent at the bottom of the fridge where all the warm air comes out. This drives the dogs nuts, though, because their kennels are just a few feet away.

IF

I've handled my cat since the day she was born, so she's very used to my presence and usually wants to be on my lap. (If I'm in a slightly horizontal position, say, reading on the couch, she wants to be asleep on my chest.) I put a little bed on top of the filing cabinet next to my desk for her, and it seems to work.

Options, options, why do we all have cats?

- Calli

They're a lot smarter than goldfish. Most of them, anyway. An old boss of mine had a cat named Boofoh, who she claimed didn't have two brain cells to rub together. Yet, when the cat got cancer at age 16, she parted with much of her life's savings to cure it. About a month after remission it went up to the Heavy-side Lair. (Did I get the reference right? It's been a while since I saw the play CATS.)

Grizabella forever,

-Thoth.

- Calli

Creative types, Mac users, makes sense.

Someone (Newsweek?) once did a survey of Fortune 500 CEOs. The only thing they all had in common was that none of them had a cat.

Sorry if any of you were planning to run a Fortune 500 company someday. :lol:

My cats are Siamese. Lap is pretty much their reason for being. When not crouched in front of the monitor, they've been known to follow people around, yowling at them to stop this coffee-making nonsense and sit, now.

The younger one is curled up here purring as I type. This is his moment. Later in the day he's relegated to the printer or the recycling box while the older cat moves in.

Best,

Marguerite

My cats are Siamese. Lap is pretty much their reason for being. When not crouched in front of the monitor, they've been known to follow people around, yowling at them to stop this coffee-making nonsense and sit, now.

Hmm, maybe it's a breed thing. My cat is half Siamese. (and half I-have-no-clue-but-he-had-a-white-mask-face)

Someone (Newsweek?) once did a survey of Fortune 500 CEOs. The only thing they all had in common was that none of them had a cat.

If they were Fortune 500 CEOs, then 50% of them were probably just lying out of habit. ;-)

The younger one is curled up here purring as I type. This is his moment. Later in the day he's relegated to the printer or the recycling box while the older cat moves in.

Train them young. Sometimes I'll wind up with 2-3 on my lap. On hot days, you'll see three of them curled into a big ball on my bed. My room is currently impossible to keep cool on hot days, and the cats seem to like that.

IF

If they were Fortune 500 CEOs, then 50% of them were probably just lying out of habit. ;-)

:lol:

Train them young. Sometimes I'll wind up with 2-3 on my lap. On hot days, you'll see three of them curled into a big ball on my bed. My room is currently impossible to keep cool on hot days, and the cats seem to like that.

How do the kitties get along with your dog? Do they fight over the bed?

I think it's a scent thing.

-Thoth.

How do the kitties get along with your dog? Do they fight over the bed?

For the most part, we have the dogs and cats trained to get along pretty well. They don't go curling up together, but they don't attack each other either.

The only problem is that cats are cats. When our dogs are away in their kennels, one of the cats in particular likes to sit in front of them and taunt.

IF

Archived