Storyist Forums

Soft Return for Screenplay

Leguare

Hello, I noticed that in the Forum for the Mac version someone asked about creating soft returns and the answer was to use Control+Return to create a soft return.

This doesn't seem to work on the iPad version... In fact no combination with Return appears to work.

The goal is to create soft returns in Action lines of the screenplay files. Hitting return creates a full space (new paragraph).

Example:

Want to create something that looks like this.

Then no space for the next line even though it doesn't wrap from the page margins.

Instead of having those two sentences look like this.

With a full space between the two.

Now, both are used in screenplays and it's easy to do in FD or using Fountain. But there doesn't seem to be a straightforward way to create this key combination on the iPad.

I'm using and iPad Pro with Apple's external Keyboard.

Thank you.

Looks like I may have figured my own question.

By changing the Action style's Line Above value from 12 to 0. Then all carriage retuns are single so you can control the spacing.

If there's a better way, or a way to make this a custom/global style... Please advise. Thanks.

Well. I spoke too soon. The above only addresses how the script appears on the screen. But when you export out to Fountain the double line carriage returns are present where only a single line should be.

While editing styles there's a screen to Pagination where you select Action for Action etc. but there doesn't seem to be a way to change those Pagination settings anywhere. Please advise. Thanks.

This may be a conversation with myself, but I did some further testing and it appears that I'm back to the original question... How do you perform a Control+Return on the iPad.

I downloaded the trial of the Mac Desktop app and the control+return works as expected and exports perfectly to Fountain. In fact when you turn invisibles on you can see the difference in the character marks.

Then... on the iPad I tried the obvious modifiers for use with Return: option, control, command, and shift. Nothing worked. In fact I opened the .story file from the iPad on the Desktop and looked at invisibles and all returns were the same, regardless of modifier.

So, back to the original question: How do you perform a control+return on the iPad to achieve the same function as that key combination performs on the Mac.

Remember, one of the goals of fountain is that it assumes carriage returns are purposeful, so there's a difference between one and two and so both (like on Storyist Mac) need to be supported.

Thanks.

Archived