Storyist Forums

iCloud sync with Scrivener on Windows

joegillon

I put a pre-existing Scrivener project in the Storyist folder on my iCloud drive. Storyist on my iPad saw it, opened it. I did a few edits, closed, opened on my laptop, saw the edits. Great. But it doesn't seem to work going the other way. I did some work on the Windows laptop, closed Scrivener, opened the project in Storyist - didn't sync. If I go to the Scrivener project in the iCloud folder and open it there, I see the work, so it did make it from the Windows box to the iCloud folder. But Storyist is not apparently not reading from the iCloud folder, even though it automatically wrote to it.

Hi Joe,

I saw your post in the Mac section. Let me ask you a few questions about the steps you took.

1. "I put a pre-existing Scrivener project in the Storyist folder on my iCloud drive." Did you put the file in the Storyist folder in the iCloud Drive folder on your PC or upload it to the Storyist folder at iCloud.com?

2. "I did some work on the Windows laptop, closed Scrivener, opened the project in Storyist - didn't sync." Is the file you edited in Scrivener stored in the Storyist folder in the iCloud Drive folder on your PC?

3. "If I go to the Scrivener project in the iCloud folder and open it there, I see the work, so it did make it from the Windows box to the iCloud folder." This where I'm not sure that I follow. It sounds like the iCloud folder you're talking about is not the one on your PC.

Note that the file needs to be in the Storyist folder in your iCloud Drive folder for Storyist for iOS to see it.

-Steve

1. I copied the Scrivener folder on my Windows box onto the iCloud\Storyist folder, also "on" my Windows box.
  2. Yes, if I open Scrivener from the iCloud folder I see the latest edits.
  3. The iCloud folder is "on" the Windows box but of course it is, presumably, also on some iCloud box somewhere. And I'm pretty sure everything is where it should be since Storyist on the iPad does "see" the Scrivener project and opens it. It just doesn't have the latest edits. And note also, that when I do edits in Storyist, then go to the Windows box and open Scrivener, those edits are there. So I doubt there's anything wrong with the location of the files.

Here's what it looks like. It looks like both Scrivener and Storyist are pushing their edits to the iCloud folder, but only Scrivener is pulling the latest edits from the other app.

Hi Joe,

Ok, so it sounds like everything is set up, but that the changes you make to at least one file in Scrivener on Windows aren't immediately synced from your PC to the cloud. Let's try this:

1. Create a new file in Scrivener and save it to the iCloud/Storyist folder. Does that file appear in Storyist for iOS?
  2. If not, does it appear in the iCloud Drive app on your iPad?
  3. If the new file does appear, we should probably look at the file that is not syncing. What changes did you make to the file in Scrivener?

One thing that might help in understanding what is going on: Neither Storyist nor Scrivener actually sync the files. They just write a file to a location on the local device, and iOS or the iCloud driver on PC does the rest. Similarly, they just read a file from a location on the local device.

-Steve

Not looking good. I made a new file and also edited an existing file. Did this on my PC. Then, still on the PC, went to the Storyist iCloud folder and found the new stuff. So it IS on my iCloud drive. But still not showing in Storyist. Unfortunately, the iCloud app on the iPad doesn't let me get down into the files and read their content to make sure the iPad sees the new data, so...

I switched to Dropbox. Reconfigured Storyist to see my project in Dropbox. Made the same changes as before, on the PC, went into Dropbox, on the PC, saw the new edits. Then on my iPad I went into Dropbox and saw the edits. This proves that the PC is sending the data and the iPad is seeing it. But still nothing in Storyist. So the only piece not getting the new data is in fact Storyist.

Bottom line, I spent, what, $15?, to find out your app simply doesn't sync.

Hmm. This is interesting. In a final attempt I deleted Storyist and went to the App Store to reinstall it, hoping maybe something got gummed up in all this fooling around. But the App Store doesn't show Storyist as an already purchased app. OK. This iPad was previously in my wife's name/account. I never changed it until I had to get it to sync with my iCloud drive, which is in my own name. It looks like I purchased and downloaded Storyist when it was still my wife's account, then tried to get it to sync to my own account. I assume this is why, now that I go into the App Store using my account, it thinks I haven't already bought it. This could easily be the problem with syncing but I do NOT want to spend another $15 just to find out it still doesn't sync. Can you change the purchasing data or whatever to my account from my wife's so I can have another go at this? Her account would have been leahg@umich.edu, mine is joe.gillon1@gmail.com. Or refund one of my 2 $15 purchases? Actually, if it worked I wouldn't even mind the extra $15.

Archived