Storyist Forums

Odd font behavior

marguerite

I wouldn't call this a bug, exactly, and it's easy to fix, but has anyone noticed that Storyist's definition of, say, Times New Roman is not the same as Word's? When I created a synopisis in my TNR template and copied the text into Word, Word insisted that it was Times New Roman PS MT. The text also looked different, until I selected all and applied the Word TNR font.

I noticed this earlier with the Courier template: not the regular Courier roman, but the italic Courier converted to something else in Word.

Given past problems I've had with fonts not matching up between Mac Word and PC Word (!), I wouldn't necessarily blame Storyist for this mismatch, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Best,

Marguerite

I wouldn't call this a bug, exactly, and it's easy to fix, but has anyone noticed that Storyist's definition of, say, Times New Roman is not the same as Word's? When I created a synopisis in my TNR template and copied the text into Word, Word insisted that it was Times New Roman PS MT. The text also looked different, until I selected all and applied the Word TNR font.

I noticed this earlier with the Courier template: not the regular Courier roman, but the italic Courier converted to something else in Word.

Given past problems I've had with fonts not matching up between Mac Word and PC Word (!), I wouldn't necessarily blame Storyist for this mismatch, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Best,

Marguerite

Unfortunately, this is an issue with Word (at least in Office 2001) that affects most OS X apps (TextEdit, Pages).

TimesNewRomanPSMT is the name of the font that OS X uses for the "Times New Roman" font family. Word doesn't recognize the font name, so it marks it as "missing" and assigns a replacement font (which defaults to "Times" in 2001) to pasted text. You can assign a different default as follows:

1. Paste your text into a Word document.
  2. Select Word > Preferences... and choose "Compatibility" from the list on the left.
  3. Click the "Font Substitution..." button.
  4. You should see TimesNewRomanPSMT listed as a "missing" font. The default substituted font will probably be "Times". Change this to "Times New Roman."

You can handle the problem with italicized Courier in a similar manner. OS X uses a font named Courier-Oblique for italicized Courier. Word doesn't recognize the font and rather unhelpfully substitutes Times for it. Using the steps outlined above, you can instruct Word to substitute Courier for the "missing" Courier-Oblique.

-Steve

Unfortunately, this is an issue with Word (at least in Office 2001) that affects most OS X apps (TextEdit, Pages).

TimesNewRomanPSMT is the name of the font that OS X uses for the "Times New Roman" font family. Word doesn't recognize the font name, so it marks it as "missing" and assigns a replacement font (which defaults to "Times" in 2001) to pasted text. You can assign a different default as follows:

1. Paste your text into a Word document.
  2. Select Word > Preferences... and choose "Compatibility" from the list on the left.
  3. Click the "Font Substitution..." button.
  4. You should see TimesNewRomanPSMT listed as a "missing" font. The default substituted font will probably be "Times". Change this to "Times New Roman."

You can handle the problem with italicized Courier in a similar manner. OS X uses a font named Courier-Oblique for italicized Courier. Word doesn't recognize the font and rather unhelpfully substitutes Times for it. Using the steps outlined above, you can instruct Word to substitute Courier for the "missing" Courier-Oblique.

-Steve

Thanks!

Archived