Storyist Forums

Default Style Issues

Jewell0607

Hi, Jewell0607, and welcome to the forums!

Default Style is Storyist's backup way of not upsetting the formatting on imported text (at least, that's my experience of it—I'm a user, not a support person). So if you copy and paste from Word or even from one part of Storyist to another, say the Notebook to your manuscript or vice versa, it tends to acquire the label of Default Style. I'm not sure why you're seeing the Default Style formatting change, but the easiest way to get around it is to avoid using Default Style in the first place.

The solution is to set up the Section Text, Section Separator, Chapter Title, and other styles in the manuscript to have the fonts and attributes you want, then apply those to your text. You can do the same thing in notes with Body Text, etc., but the changes are unique to each note. Those styles will not change once you set them. At least they should not. You may want to try it out on a few paragraphs first to be sure. If they do, then you have a different problem, one that, most likely, only the developer can solve. In that case, your best bet is to send a message to support at storyist dot com.

While actively working on a manuscript, I also keep a second manuscript in the same project called "Saved Scenes" or some such thing. If I want to get a scene out of the manuscript but am not sure whether I can do something with it later, I copy that section and save it as a section in Saved Scenes. Then I can restore it if need be. Another option is to Save a Version and add a comment so you know which version has the scene. Either of those methods will avoid having the text revert to Default Style.

Hope that helps,

Marguerite

Archived