Storyist Forums

Word Count Issues

james011

My word count doesn't match. Up top it says I have 19 words today, but I know that I typed the 271 words shown below. Also the target is off again. My daily target is 1,000 words, not 2,000 words. Please see the screenshot. MacOS 10.14.5 and Storyist v. 4.0. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 2.04.48 PM.png

I think I may have stumbled on what is triggering the word count issue. When I was writing this morning, the word count was correct, and my word target had reset last night after midnight. So it's back to the proper 1,000 words per day. Before noon, I decided to take my laptop outside to write. My internet connection isn't that great outside, and I am storing my manuscripts using Dropbox. After working a moment outside I noticed the word counts were off again and my daily target was bumped up to 2,000. It seems to me that there is a synching issue going on here. I hope that this can get fixed, because it is important to me that I can take my laptop to appointments, the park or beach and without an internet connection still be able to write. 

• 5 months later...

James011, I'm not so sure it's your Dropbox syncing that's causing the problem --- I am having word count discrepancies as well, and I am not using Dropbox, nor syncing of any kind (other than backing up to iCloud). 

I posted about this last Sunday but have yet to receive any sort of response on it. I really would like to purchase Storyist once NaNoWriMo is over, but the lack of response from Support is disheartening. No one has responded to my email, either (different issue).

I don't have an answer for the problem, except to say that I'm not encountering it under High Sierra, so it may be an OS issue.

I will say that Storyist Support (i.e., Steve Shepard, the developer) is usually very quick to respond, both here and especially via e-mail. So there must be some reason for the delay, although I have no idea what that is.

Best, Marguerite