Storyist Forums

User Dictionary

Captain Marsupial

Hi, sorry if it's already in the program, but I haven't seen a user-defined dictionary. I'd love to be able to put my characters' names, or heck, even my name into the dictionary without it having to be part of the Global English dictionary. Or if there's a story dictionary so I don't have character names run across all my projects. Thanks!

Hi, sorry if it's already in the program, but I haven't seen a user-defined dictionary. I'd love to be able to put my characters' names, or heck, even my name into the dictionary without it having to be part of the Global English dictionary. Or if there's a story dictionary so I don't have character names run across all my projects. Thanks!

Hi Captain,

Are you interested in adding local definitions to the Dictionary application (for Look Up in Dictionary) or adding to a local spelling dictionary so that the spell checker won't flag words as misspelled?

-Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I can't speak for him, but I imagine he wants to be able to add a local spelling dictionary. As it is, I just add them to the global. It's not a huge thing for me, but with a name like Callista you get used to it. :)

Where is that stuff anyway? Accidentally add one misspelled word, and it haunts you forever.

IF

Where is that stuff anyway? Accidentally add one misspelled word, and it haunts you forever.

IF

Words you have added to the spelling dictionary are in ~/Library/Spelling/en (if you are an English speaker). It is a simple array of C (null-terminated) strings.

-Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Words you have added to the spelling dictionary are in ~/Library/Spelling/en (if you are an English speaker). It is a simple array of C (null-terminated) strings.

Thanks a bunch! Looks like I can edit this file with Hex Fiend.

IF

• 3 weeks later...

Okay but here is my quandary:

I need to add a list of words in an alternate language (not commonly found within the OS, mind you). Is there a plan to incorporate a user-defined dictionary/word list that will allow you to break english rule standards and simply accept the words as they are typed?

Non-standard language being used (in my case) is Mohawk. There are guttural stops (defined by a ":" that can (and often does) appear in the middle of a word with accents that Storyist attempts to apply its grammatical and spelling rules. However since the entire language doesn't conform to english grammatical standards I am not able to simply define it within the global dictionary because it sees it as a mistyped word (sees the colon and tries to separate the word into two separate words).

It would be easier to simply have a user defined dictionary where you can enter all known entries and it would accept them as typed (and to alleviate the 'mistyped word haunted forever' scenario as mentioned before you can always go back and edit the list on the fly).

Any hopes?

...I need to add a list of words in an alternate language (not commonly found within the OS, mind you). Is there a plan to incorporate a user-defined dictionary/word list that will allow you to break english rule standards and simply accept the words as they are typed?...

Interesting idea, native dude. You'd think Apple would supply a way in the OS to turn off automatic grammatical and spelling corrections, given the worldwide scope of their sales. But short of that, I have to wonder if Steve can create a user-defined dictionary that overrides the assumptions the OS makes about colons (and other grammatical marks). Steve?

Oh, and a belated, "Welcome to the forum, William". Good to hear from you. I hope we haven't kept you away with all our silly talk about muffins and such. We can also be serious here too.

-Thoth.

Archived