Storyist Forums

Uses of Storyist?

marguerite

The show on 9/9 just made it onto the archive site mentioned in Steve's announcement. Very interesting interview, I thought--more content than some of the others (plus Steve had a chance to mention us! :)). Good publicity, too.

I was fascinated that so many of the questions involved whether one could use Storyist for nonfiction writing. One can, of course, although footnotes/endnotes would be a must for academic writing. Although I have to admit, the interview made me think: there are other not-quite-fiction genres for which Storyist would be the perfect tool. Biographies, memoirs, and popular history spring to mind.

So I thought I'd ask. What do you use Storyist for, instead of/in addition to novels, short stories, or screenplays? Calli has started a graphic novel and is considering a biography. Anyone else?

I, alas, am Ms. Dullsville in this regard (novels only, so far). :P

Best,

Marguerite

The comic book, if I can wrangle it, is going to be a really neat way to use Storyist. That's why I'm documenting it in the other thread. So far, I've written three novels (none of them are finished, don't get impressed), and a number of papers for school using Storyist. Like I said before, it's my only word processor.

The comic book, if I can wrangle it, is going to be a really neat way to use Storyist. That's why I'm documenting it in the other thread. So far, I've written three novels (none of them are finished, don't get impressed), and a number of papers for school using Storyist. Like I said before, it's my only word processor.

Just for fun, this morning while making coffee I was considering how I would answer John Iazullo's question about how he could use Storyist to keep track of his radio shows. I throw these ideas out as examples of a nonfiction use of Storyist.

1. Sections for each show, with capsule descriptions of the guests and topics covered, questions asked, lists of music clips, etc., in the Manuscript and fields in the Section Sheets for Guest1, Guest2, products covered, Mac/PC, and notes on what did/didn't get covered. Guest1 and Guest2 would be character fields, Mac/PC settings fields, and products plot fields (see below).

2. Character sheets for each speaker, with custom fields for phone number, e-mail address, website, area of expertise, Mac/PC, and perhaps some kind of rating system (Make this guy a regular/Never invite again :lol:). By setting up character development points and linking them to the sections for the shows, you could keep tabs on when a given speaker appeared.

3. Settings sheets for general categories: Mac, PC, MP3 players, iPhone, etc.--anything you'd want to use over and over and be able to link many shows to.

4. Plot threads for more limited categories (e.g. Writing Programs) that would then contain plot points for individual programs (Storyist), linked to character sheets (Steve Shepard) and sections (Steve's show), although you'd have to have individual plot points for Storyist1, Storyist2, etc. This would let you find an individual program when you were scratching your head wondering who was that Storyist guy anyway (not that anyone would forget you, Steve :lol:).

5. Notes with lists of URLs, music clips, questions to ask, screen shots, whatever.

I'm sure you could adapt that setup to many different kinds of projects, so feel free to pirate and expand as necessary!

Best,

Marguerite

Archived