Storyist Forums

Page Setup Bug or...

TLC

Hello,

We are on the latest Storyist on iPad and iMac.  We are having a very distressing issue. The iPad opens the same file as desktop (through iCloud), set to the same "US Letter", but the pagination (or page interpretation) is not the same. We have painstakingly formatted correctly on iMac, only to have it be presented incorrectly on iPad.

For every page on the desktop, the iPad "page" seems to be exactly one line "smaller", thus pushing the last line of text on page 1 to page 2.  But ONLY on the iPad. Every page on the iPad pushes one line of text to the next page.

This is rather serious for us because we simply can't have dialogue or lyrics cross pages without the proper formatting ( CHARACTER (CONT'D)).

I have included the first 3 pages (didacted) so that you can see the difference when viewing on iPad and iMac. 

Thank you for your help.

Thaddeus & Tracey Corea

Draft r26 Test Copy.story

Hi, TLC,

I don't know exactly, but I have seen the difference. In my case, it's because I have the Mac version set to prevent widows and orphans, and the iPad version doesn't support that (as far as I  know). So the page breaks change whenever there is a single line at the end or beginning of a paragraph. You can reset the formatting, in that case, on the Mac by choosing View > Layout > Draft, then View > Layout > Page Layout. That forces the Mac version to respect the widows/orphans setting again.

I'm a novelist, and I write mostly on the Mac, so it's not a big issue for me. There may be additional Screenplay issues with formatting that I don't know about, but I'd start with the widows/orphans and perhaps "keep with next paragraph" settings in your styles. You can see them by going to the Format menu, choosing Style, then Edit Current Style.

Best, Marguerite

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the response.  

widows/orphans in Styles was a helpful clue.  

Overall, we are having a difficult time counting on Storyist to keep it's formatting exactly the same when we output to PDF, and also when we switch to iPad. For those reasons, we are looking for other software.