Storyist Forums

Character Sheets

eripoll

Hi all,

I'm currently testing Storyist for a tv serie project. Beside the fact that it seems difficult for me to handle various episodes with one file (but that's another thread, I know), I would like to be able to customize the Character sheet even more.

When writing a serie, one needs to constantly add to the "Bible" detailing each character on various aspects, such as Childhood, Adolescence, and other time-based events, likes and dislikes, psychological aspects, etc, way beyond basic Physical description....

Obviously, I could throw it all into the "Notes" section of the Character Sheet. However, I need to be organized when all the information starts pilling up.

Any thoughts ?

Erwan

Hi Erwan,

Storyist currently allows you to add additional character attribute types. (I always add a personality type, myself.) Other people (I'm looking at you, Isaac) have also brought up the idea of handling a series in Storyist and the necessity of a series bible (but not in those terms). I can only wonder what Steve has in mind. (Steve?)

In the meantime, I use character groups to handle the evolution of characters. For example, the John Group might contain the Character Sheets John-Kid, John-Adult, John-Post-Accident, etcetera. Within the Character Sheet "John" can be linked to various Sections in the manuscript.

The problem is that Sheets are currently subordinate to, not independent of, the Manuscript. There is currently no way (that I see) to link a Character Sheet in one manuscript to a Character Sheet or Section in another manuscript, without a coding change to Storyist. (Steve?)

A means of simply gathering together various Sheet types across Storyist files, for viewing or editing, might suffice.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this issue?

Thoughtfully yours,

Thoth.

Hi Thoth,

Hi Erwan,

Storyist currently allows you to add additional character attribute types. (I always add a personality type, myself.) Other people (I'm looking at you, Isaac) have also brought up the idea of handling a series in Storyist and the necessity of a series bible (but not in those terms). I can only wonder what Steve has in mind. (Steve?)

I have started using the Character attributes myself, but (i'm being perfectionnist here), those attribute fall under the Physical Description header of the sheet.

What I would llike is to have the ability of creating my own headers, for easier access and uniformity across my "Bible"

In the meantime, I use character groups to handle the evolution of characters. For example, the John Group might contain the Character Sheets John-Kid, John-Adult, John-Post-Accident, etcetera. Within the Character Sheet "John" can be linked to various Sections in the manuscript.

That's a nifty idea. How is that working for you ? I know I like to have things nicely ordered so it might help.

Thanks for your reply !

Erwan

Hi Thoth,

I have started using the Character attributes myself, but (i'm being perfectionnist here), those attribute fall under the Physical Description header of the sheet.

What I would llike is to have the ability of creating my own headers, for easier access and uniformity across my "Bible"

That's a nifty idea. How is that working for you ? I know I like to have things nicely ordered so it might help.

Thanks for your reply !

Erwan

Hello again, Erwan,

I don't think you're asking too much to have the option of creating your own attribute group headers within a Section Sheet. But then, I'm not writing the code. (We really need Steve's take on this.)

As for how Character Groups are working for me: can't complain, yet. Putting a person at different ages or points of their lives in a Character Group named after that character makes sense to me. Subtly different characters also work better in groups. Think of handling a Jekyll/Hyde character. Physically, they look about the same and are the same age but the small physical distinctions (like carriage) can be vitally important to the story. Their personalities are distinctly different, yielding different story lines within the plot. Yet they are effectively the same person: both protagonist and antagonist simultaneously. Do they belong in the same Character Group? If not, how would you establish the connection between them if you can't create (named) links between Character Sheets? How would you handle this?

As for a "bible" supporting a series of books, movies or TV episodes. This is beginning to strike me as not supportable by the current Storyist methodology. It's going to require an expansion of that methodology and lot of thinking on Steve's part. How would you implement it? What should it look like?

-Thoth.

Erwan & Thoth,

There is a lot I want to do still with story sheets and adding the ability to add/edit the sheet headings is just the start. Erwan, I'd love to see and example (.doc or rtf is fine) of what you're aiming for.

-Steve

Erwan & Thoth,

There is a lot I want to do still with story sheets and adding the ability to add/edit the sheet headings is just the start. Erwan, I'd love to see and example (.doc or rtf is fine) of what you're aiming for.

-Steve

Sure thing Steve.

I will send you an example once I have a character planned out.

It might be in French though... But I will translate the headings so you can get the gist of it.

-Erwan

Archived