Storyist Forums

On another note

Steakpirate

I think that theorizing about time travel has irreversibly damaged my brain, and I've realized that I don't ever want to read anyone else's published theories again until they've been proven.

(> ; _ ; <)

It's annoying to have invented something that's already been invented.

I think that theorizing about time travel has irreversibly damaged my brain, and I've realized that I don't ever want to read anyone else's published theories again until they've been proven.

(> ; _ ;

It's annoying to have invented something that's already been invented.

But so much more fun writing fiction, where we can make up our own rules without benefit of math, don't you think? :lol:

Followed the time travel discussion with great interest. I hadn't heard the expanding bubbles version before, but it makes a weird kind of sense. Must significantly complicate Mr. Spock's calculations for slingshotting round the sun, though.

Being a historian, I naturally find time travel fascinating (to continue the Spock metaphor). but I would like a little certainty that if I did go back and ran into, say, Ivan the Terrible or Genghis Khan, I'd have an escape route set up that didn't require calculating how far the bubble had expanded today. You'd need more than a few overmuffins to rein in your classic medieval tyrant, although I suppose a good pair of stiletto heels could stop them in their tracks. :lol:

Still procrastinating like crazy,

Marguerite

My favorite fictional time machine was Mr. Peabody's "Wayback Machine" from Peabody's Improbable History (which was created by Ted Key and produced by the legendary Jay Ward in the late 1950s and early 1960s). Mr. Peabody was a brilliant talking dog who adopted a little orphan boy named Sherman. Concerned with Sherman's education he created the machine so he could show Sherman "real" history, not cleaned up "book" history. And all he had to do was set a date and place and walk through a doorway. The machine not only opened the door on the correct historical event it allowed you to hear everyone's speech in english and allowed them to understand you (something the TARDIS also did years later). After 90 episodes they visited everyone from Ben Franklin to Zebulon Pike (for whom Pike's Peak is named) and each shaggy dog story ended in a bad pun (is there any other kind?).

Little known fact: Mr. Peabody's first name is Hector.

Lesser known fact: DreamWorks Animation has licensed the show.

"Quiet, you."

-Thoth.

My favorite fictional time machine was Mr. Peabody's "Wayback Machine" from Peabody's Improbable History (which was created by Ted Key and produced by the legendary Jay Ward in the late 1950s and early 1960s). Mr. Peabody was a brilliant talking dog who adopted a little orphan boy named Sherman. Concerned with Sherman's education he created the machine so he could show Sherman "real" history, not cleaned up "book" history. And all he had to do was set a date and place and walk through a doorway. The machine not only opened the door on the correct historical event it allowed you to hear everyone's speech in english and allowed them to understand you (something the TARDIS also did years later). After 90 episodes they visited everyone from Ben Franklin to Zebulon Pike (for whom Pike's Peak is named) and each shaggy dog story ended in a bad pun (is there any other kind?).

Little known fact: Mr. Peabody's first name is Hector.

Lesser known fact: DreamWorks Animation has licensed the show.

"Quiet, you."

-Thoth.

Oh my god... I haven't seen that show since I was like 5..

Oh my god... I haven't seen that show since I was like 5..

DreamWorks Animation is betting heavily on the nostalgia factor.

Cleopatra: Hello, little doggie.

Mr. Peabody: I am not a little doggie, I am Mr. Peabody, and this is Sherman.

Cleopatra: Shouldn't you be marching to the sea?

Mr. Peabody: That was General Sherman, Madam, this one's only a Second Lieutenant.

-Thoth.

Archived