Storyist Forums

The Coultontrain

Steakpirate

By request of the mighty Thoth, my favorites from Jonathan Coulton's work (http://jonathancoulton.com/), in their relative order of awesomeness.

My Playlist

Still Alive

Re: Your Brains

Skullcrusher Mountain

Codemonkey

The Future Soon

Better

That Spells DNA

Not for everyday listening, but enjoyable

Chiron Beta Prime

The First Of May

A Laptop Like You (Everyone here should be able to appreciate this one)

Honorable Mentions

Ikea

I Feel Fantastic

Womb With a View

Thank you Steakpirate, much appreciated.

Which version of "Still Alive" do you prefer: the cute-as-all-hell GLaDOS version or the more artistic J.C. mix? I thought his Folk Singer version of Baby Got Back was hysterical, possibly historical, but First of May struck me as a one note joke (yes, we get it, in May you can have sex outside). And speaking of historical, I'm going to suggest to an elementary school teacher friend of mine to kick off her American History class with The Presidents (not on your list).

My robot overlords—did I say overlords? I meant protectors—are calling me to the feeding trough.

Love that Soylent Green.

-Thoth

Thank you Steakpirate, much appreciated.

Which version of "Still Alive" do you prefer: the cute-as-all-hell GLaDOS version or the more artistic J.C. mix? I thought his Folk Singer version of Baby Got Back was hysterical, possibly historical, but First of May struck me as a one note joke (yes, we get it, in May you can have sex outside). And speaking of historical, I'm going to suggest to an elementary school teacher friend of mine to kick off her American History class with The Presidents (not on your list).

My robot overlords—did I say overlords? I meant protectors—are calling me to the feeding trough.

Love that Soylent Green.

-Thoth

I have actually only ever heard the Glados filtered version. I imagine him singing it might be a little creepy.

Don't remember Baby Got Back, I'll give it a listen tonight.

As far as the First Of May goes, I appreciated it musically, and the line about them in the park made me chuckle.

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE! (Yes, I've seen it.)

- Exuding amonia scented snow,

SP

I have actually only ever heard the Glados filtered version. I imagine him singing it might be a little creepy.

Delightfully creepy, like Skullcrusher Mountain or Re: Your Brains. You know, JC reminds me of a more techy Weird Al Yankovic but with a better voice.

Don't remember Baby Got Back, I'll give it a listen tonight.

It's identical to "Baby Got Back", the 1992 hip hop song by Sir Mix-a-Lot from his album Mack Daddy, but done as a folk song.

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE! (Yes, I've seen it.)

Fun Fact: Soylent Green (1973, and is being remade for 2012) was Edward G. Robinson's last film. Ironically, he dies at the end of the film and is mulched into yummy soylent green crackers.

Caught in flagrante delicto.

-Thoth.

Archived