Storyist Forums

Catharsis

Steve E

Today we laid my dad to rest in New Jersey's frigid terra firma Why New Jersey when most of the family is from New York? Long story. It's one of the reasons I decided to write about the whole experience (in Storyist of course) when I got home. I figure it will be cathartic. Let's hope so.

Part of the problem is that the funeral provided little closure for me. There was a military honor guard which played taps for him. (He was a tail gunner for a cargo plane in the Pacific Theatre during WWII.) But all I could think about was the load of work he dumped on me. As if the endless details of planning a funeral wasn't enough, I now have to go through 80+ years of accumulated papers, pictures and property. You see, I'm the executor of his will. Lucky me.

Anyway, I thought I'd first drop in on the forum, as I often do when I take a writing break, to see what's up and how the rest of you are doing.

Carrie, I hope your arm is better. M, even the Russians had a finite amount of history. Isaac and Steakpirate, don't give up on world domination. Steve, fix my bookmarks. And remember, a Beta with a thousand bugs will someday be released from its cocoon as a beautiful butterfly looking like a flying blue book.

Hang in there.

-Thoth.

Today we laid my dad to rest in New Jersey's frigid terra firma Why New Jersey when most of the family is from New York? Long story. It's one of the reasons I decided to write about the whole experience (in Storyist of course) when I got home. I figure it will be cathartic. Let's hope so.

Part of the problem is that the funeral provided little closure for me. There was a military honor guard which played taps for him. (He was a tail gunner for a cargo plane in the Pacific Theatre during WWII.) But all I could think about was the load of work he dumped on me. As if the endless details of planning a funeral wasn't enough, I now have to go through 80+ years of accumulated papers, pictures and property. You see, I'm the executor of his will. Lucky me.

Anyway, I thought I'd first drop in on the forum, as I often do when I take a writing break, to see what's up and how the rest of you are doing.

Carrie, I hope your arm is better. M, even the Russians had a finite amount of history. Isaac and Steakpirate, don't give up on world domination. Steve, fix my bookmarks. And remember, a Beta with a thousand bugs will someday be released from its cocoon as a beautiful butterfly looking like a flying blue book.

Hang in there.

-Thoth.

Hi, Thoth:

Just saw this. My deepest sympathy to you and your family, and good luck as you sort through that enormous workload! Do keep writing (and posting!).

Even the Russians had a finite amount of history? A pox on such thoughts! What makes the Russians Russian is that their history is cyclical--viz. Vladimir Putin. (Last time I checked this, the characters weren't displaying properly, but unless you read the Cyrillic alphabet, you're not missing anything anyway: the site shows Putin arrayed in full Muscovite coronation regalia, dubs him Tsar Vladimir, and gives the date 1613, when the first Romanov tsar took the throne.) So it never ends (although I'm sure they can give Isaac and Steakpirate a few tips on world domination). :lol:

Best,

M

Hi, Thoth:

Just saw this. My deepest sympathy to you and your family, and good luck as you sort through that enormous workload! Do keep writing (and posting!).

Even the Russians had a finite amount of history? A pox on such thoughts! What makes the Russians Russian is that their history is cyclical--viz. Vladimir Putin. (Last time I checked this, the characters weren't displaying properly, but unless you read the Cyrillic alphabet, you're not missing anything anyway: the site shows Putin arrayed in full Muscovite coronation regalia, dubs him Tsar Vladimir, and gives the date 1613, when the first Romanov tsar took the throne.) So it never ends (although I'm sure they can give Isaac and Steakpirate a few tips on world domination). :lol:

Best,

M

Thanks M.

And thank goodness the web has plenty of Russian Translation Web pages.

-Thoth.

Good to hear from you - it's been dead quiet here lately. I'm back in the game with a wrist brace and an anti RSI clock thing. Still working on the character art for the game, but I also started a little graphic novella (script in Storyist, of course!). I think it'll be good. Thinking about putting it online. (cover)

Good luck on your tough work. Today is Andy's birthday, so I'm right there with you. :/ *hug*

- Calli

Good to hear from you - it's been dead quiet here lately. I'm back in the game with a wrist brace and an anti RSI clock thing. Still working on the character art for the game, but I also started a little graphic novella (script in Storyist, of course!). I think it'll be good. Thinking about putting it online. (cover)

Good luck on your tough work. Today is Andy's birthday, so I'm right there with you. :/ *hug*

- Calli

Thanks Calli.

The work has actually been interesting. I found a picture of my Dad in uniform with my Mom when she was a smokin' hot teen.

I'm glad to see you're taking care of your wrist.

Nice cover, by the way. Simplicity is underrated. Good luck with your projects.

Happy birthday wishes for Andy. Smooch him for me.

-Thoth.

Hahah, I love finding pictures like that. So surreal.

Me too.

I'd kiss Andy, but he's dead. And my husband would probably be a little jealous. :lol:

Oops. I thought Andy was your husband. Mea Culpa, for not paying proper attention.

Apologies to you, Andy and hubby - but you can smooch him anyway, if he's earned it.

-Thoth.

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have a new opportunity to get to know your dad in a way you never did before though. Good luck with your project.

IF

Thank you, Isaac. Yes, this is looking more and more like an opportunity. It's a shame I never thought of doing this while he was still alive.

-Thoth.

Thoth,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I trust the catharsis will come and wish you and your family comfort.

-Steve

p.s. I don't know how I missed your original post. The forum seem to be sending me post notifications only if it feels like it. I logged in today and a number of topics were suddenly "lit".

Archived