Storyist Forums

Vertical Writing

Steakpirate

So, in case I ever learn enough chinese to write a book, does OSX / Storyist support writing vertically?

I'd also like to see Modern Hebrew support (right-to-left) and Bronze Age Minoan support (spiral) because you clearly do not have enough to do. (Call me a Tiger laggard will ya!)

Exploring the markets,

-Thoth.

I'd also like to see Modern Hebrew support (right-to-left) and Bronze Age Minoan support (spiral) because you clearly do not have enough to do. (Call me a Tiger laggard will ya!)

Exploring the markets,

-Thoth.

Storyist uses the Cocoa text system, which supports both languages. Give it a shot. You can set the language/input method using the International System Panel. I'm told Japanese works just fine.

-Steve

Storyist uses the Cocoa text system, which supports both languages. Give it a shot. You can set the language/input method using the International System Panel. I'm told Japanese works just fine.

-Steve

Shoot. No spiral support on System Preferences/International. My Bronze Age Minoan fans are going to be disappointed.

-Thoth.

-Stev.

Oh Steve, I can type Chinese fine; and have in the past for homework. 你看吗? But I meant, that with books in asian languages, the sentences are often vertical.

Like this:

这	我
不	没
是	有
我	车
的	 。
车
。

Rather than:

这不是我的车。 我没有车。

I was curious about the possibility of doing THAT without writing a character of the next five sentences on each line.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh Steve, I can type Chinese fine; and have in the past for homework. 你看吗? But I meant, that with books in asian languages, the sentences are often vertical.

Like this:

这	我
不	没
是	有
我	车
的	 。
车
。

Rather than:

这不是我的车。 我没有车。

I was curious about the possibility of doing THAT without writing a character of the next five sentences on each line.

Sorry SP. Read too fast.

I don't have any plans for this.

-Steve

Have you considered an editor like Vim or Emacs?

I know they can do folding (for SP) but can they do a decent Bronze Age Minoan spiral? I think that would require me building a macro and, damn it Jim, I'm a doctor/writer not a Unix programmer.

-Thoth.

I know they can do folding (for SP) but can they do a decent Bronze Age Minoan spiral? I think that would require me building a macro and, damn it Jim, I'm a doctor/writer not a Unix programmer.

These are full blown software developer editors. You can make them do just about anything if you're willing to spend some time writing a plugin. Vim supports Ruby, Perl, or Python for plugins, and Emacs uses Lisp.

IF

Yes, they're very nice but (and I suppose I'm beating a dead horse with this) will they do spiral without my having to write a plugin/macro/spell to make it happen?

(You do realize that I'm kidding about my need for spiral printing, right?)

-Thoth.

Yes, they're very nice but (and I suppose I'm beating a dead horse with this) will they do spiral without my having to write a plugin/macro/spell to make it happen?

They will absolutely do spiral once you pay someone to write the plugin.

IF

They will absolutely do spiral once you pay someone to write the plugin.

First: Cool but obvious.

Second: If I'm going to pay out that kind of money I might as well pay someone to write the text too. Hey, you may be onto something here!

-Thoth.

Archived