Storyist Forums

ACK!!! Love 2.0, but...

Joolissa

Steve! I can't drag my PDFs into notebook entries anymore! *panics* (lol!!!)

The PDFs I had as notebook entries were turned into images, but they only displayed the first page of the PDF. Now when I tried to put the PDF into a notebook entry it crashed the whole program. =( I'd really like my PDFs back as that's how I put all my webpage research into Storyist. Any chance of that feature coming back? Is it perhaps a tiger issue?

There are a couple other things, neither of which are a big deal....

When I opened my project in 2.0 I found that the custom fields I'd made for my character sheets had disappeared. I added them again (they were still available when clicking add field), and the information thankfully was still there once the field was displayed. Not a big deal, but maybe you need to know for some reason?

Also, it'd be nice if folders (like settings or notebook) would remain open when you close the program with them open. Right now when you open your project every "drawer" is closed. Definitely not a huge deal

Well.. I'm going to go play with the new version more. It's so shiny and new... <3!

Thanks for all your hard work Steve! (and beta testers too)

Steve! I can't drag my PDFs into notebook entries anymore! *panics* (lol!!!)

The PDFs I had as notebook entries were turned into images, but they only displayed the first page of the PDF. Now when I tried to put the PDF into a notebook entry it crashed the whole program. =( I'd really like my PDFs back as that's how I put all my webpage research into Storyist. Any chance of that feature coming back? Is it perhaps a tiger issue?

Got your crash report. Looking into this now...

There are a couple other things, neither of which are a big deal....

When I opened my project in 2.0 I found that the custom fields I'd made for my character sheets had disappeared. I added them again (they were still available when clicking add field), and the information thankfully was still there once the field was displayed. Not a big deal, but maybe you need to know for some reason?

Thanks for the report. Does this happen with all custom fields or just some?

Also, it'd be nice if folders (like settings or notebook) would remain open when you close the program with them open. Right now when you open your project every "drawer" is closed. Definitely not a huge deal

Hmmm. The settings are per-document.

The default templates all open with the folders closed, but Storyist should remember the folder state when you save the file.

Try this:

1. Create a new file.
  2. Open some of the folders in the Project view.
  3. Save the file.
  4. Close the file.
  5. Reopen it.

Is the state is not restored? If so, this is a bug.

Well.. I'm going to go play with the new version more. It's so shiny and new...

Thanks for all your hard work Steve! (and beta testers too)

Have fun and let me know how it goes.

-Steve

The only fields that are showing up are Age (which I had removed from my sheets), Gender, Eye Color, Hair Color, and Build. I can right click and go into Add field and my list of Custom fields is still there and when I add them again the information that I had previous typed in shows back up.

I figured out the Drawer opening thing. You're right, you have to save! lol. If you open your document and then mess with what drawers are open, but close without saving (say you didn't make any changes or like me you're opening and closing things alot because it's V2.0 and you're just exploring), it won't remember what changes you made to the drawers. If however, as you mentioned, you save, it remembers the changes. Problems solved! I think I need more common sense injected into my brain! lol!!!

Thanks for looking into my crash report!

The only fields that are showing up are Age (which I had removed from my sheets), Gender, Eye Color, Hair Color, and Build. I can right click and go into Add field and my list of Custom fields is still there and when I add them again the information that I had previous typed in shows back up.

I figured out the Drawer opening thing. You're right, you have to save! lol. If you open your document and then mess with what drawers are open, but close without saving (say you didn't make any changes or like me you're opening and closing things alot because it's V2.0 and you're just exploring), it won't remember what changes you made to the drawers. If however, as you mentioned, you save, it remembers the changes. Problems solved! I think I need more common sense injected into my brain! lol!!!

Thanks for looking into my crash report!

Steve: I can confirm this. My custom fields are also not showing in the file I imported from 1.5. When I restore them, as with Julia's files, the fields and their information are revealed as still present, but when I save, close, and reopen the file (both when I quit Storyist after closing and when I don't), it doesn't "remember" the previous arrangement of the fields but instead brings back the default set.

OS 10.4.11, Storyist 2.0 (899), PowerMac G5.

Best,

Marguerite

I'm glad I'm not crazy M! Though I forgot I'd posted that bug here, so I think I double posted it with something else in the bug reports too. Oh, the other place I posted it, I also mentioned that it wasn't remembering/using templates I created for the collection either. That post is here

Out of curiosity... what is the 899 number?

And I have OS 10.4.11, Storyist 2.0, and an Intel MacBook Pro

I'm glad I'm not crazy M! Though I forgot I'd posted that bug here, so I think I double posted it with something else in the bug reports too. Oh, the other place I posted it, I also mentioned that it wasn't remembering/using templates I created for the collection either. That post is here

And I have OS 10.4.11, Storyist 2.0, and an Intel MacBook Pro

899 is the build number of the final, released Storyist 2.0. I included the build no. only so Steve would know I reproduced the problem in the release version, not one of the betas.

I do remember you mentioning the template problem. I think it's the same problem, though. Templates are just .story files that are stored in a special place. When Storyist opens any .story file in that location, it creates an untitled copy and leaves the original intact. So anything that affected 1.5 files would affect the templates, too. Can you reproduce it with the Novel template? That one is updated for each release.

You also mentioned bookmarks not routinely showing up. Bookmarks are hidden by default, but Storyist is supposed to remember the settings you were using for a particular document last time you saved it, so this, too, is probably a variant of the same problem: Storyist is not remembering the state of files. I'll try to get around to testing that tomorrow.

I thought Steve fixed Storyist's amnesia in one of the late betas, but maybe it reappeared during the nuking of a related bug. :unsure:

Best,

M

I believe that's the Developer's Build Number. Steve uses it to differentiate every version of Storyist he has created, not just the ones that go to Beta. Although, I hear, sometimes developers break this guideline (as is their prerogative).

-Thoth.

Edited 5:21pm EST: Once again our Lady Fair has beaten me to the punch.

Ah! And I just figured out where to find it too. Is that something important that we should include when reporting bugs?

I think, since February 2007, I reported it maybe three times. So, no.

-Thoth.

Thoth's right. I normally wouldn't bother. I did it this time only because Steve produced what was supposed to the release version, then Thoth found a showstopper bug, so Steve produced another, final testing version that was exactly the same as the one he released. So I was being ultra-clear as to which 2.0 I had in mind.

Normally I'd just say 2.0, 2.1, or with the betas 2.1b2 (or whatever).

Thanks for the comment, Thoth! I appreciate the kind words.

But the rest of us can only bow before the Lord of (Approaching) 1,800 Posts. :unsure:

Cheers,

M

I do remember you mentioning the template problem. I think it's the same problem, though. Templates are just .story files that are stored in a special place. When Storyist opens any .story file in that location, it creates an untitled copy and leaves the original intact. So anything that affected 1.5 files would affect the templates, too. Can you reproduce it with the Novel template? That one is updated for each release.

M

Steve: I checked this using the Novel template and it is 100% reproducible (screen shots attached) and not limited to imported V1 files. To see it in action:

1. Open Storyist 2.0.

2. Choose the Novel Template.

3. Click on Characters > Protagonist.

4. Add a field (one of the preset fields that is not showing or one of your own: the screen shots show both).

5. Enter some data.

6. Save and close the file with the added fields showing.

7. Reopen the file.

Expected behavior: the fields will display in the same way as when I closed the file.

Actual behavior: the fields have reverted to their default state.

Note that the file reopens to the same page: the Protagonist sheet (now renamed Sam Spade) that was in the main window when I closed the file, so Storyist is "remembering" some things.

I'll e-mail the test file and the PNG versions of the screen shots to bugs@storyist.com.

OS 10.4.11, Storyist 2.0, PowerMac G5.

Best,

M

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

So I'm just checking in to see if there's any news about the Custom Field bug... or the PDF bug

Also... I'm having issues with bookmarks. I opened my file and

1. The bookmark icons are not visible.... how do I make them visible all the time? Or at least easily turned on/off. I can't find anything

2. The bookmarks I'd previously made no longer work. AKA, they don't seem to actually exist other than in the Navigation. They don't jump to the bookmarked part of the text or anything. I can't get their icons to come up... nothing. I tried creating a new book mark to get this to repeat, but the new bookmark works fine even after multiple save & quits.

Any ideas?

Your old bookmarks, were they created in a beta version? If so, which one (if you remember).

-Thoth.

BTW: I know it's a fine line between troubleshooting and a bug report, but I'm wondering if you should request this thread of yours be moved to Bugs.

lol sometimes I lose track of which of my posts is in which part of the forum

No, the bookmarks were created in the released version of 2.0. I didn't become an official bug hunter until after the release. So basically I'm a bug hunter who has yet to go on her first safari because there isn't a beta to test! haha.

Archived