Storyist Forums

Help File Broken Links?

Joolissa

Hey,

I've been wandering around the help file to familiarize myself with things, and I think I found a broken link or two..

I opened the Help File

Clicked on "Getting To Know Storyist"

I scrolled through the list clicking on everything, and the following didn't do anything when clicked on:

"Working With the Storyboard Grid View"

"Working With The Storyboard List View"

Is it a bug or just me?

--Edit--

Also

There seem to be some bugs with character sheets. I use tons of custom fields, but every time I save, quit, and re-open Storyist allllll of my custom fields disappear and are replaced with "Age, Gender, Eye Color, Hair Color, & Build". This also seems to affect templates. I created a new template for my Race Sheets and saved it, but it is not using the template as the default when I create a new character sheet in that collection.

And, I've noticed that the bookmark icons sometimes disappear in the text. The actual bookmarks are still there and when clicked upon it jumps around to them, but the icons are invisible. Sometimes they reappear when I create a new bookmark, sometimes they don't. Is there some type of preference or an option I'm missing to make them always visible or always invisible?

lol I feel bad for finding so many things. :o I really am enjoying V2, a lot! Really! lol

- J

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm just wondering if anyone/Steve noted the bit about the help file broken links. I know the things below the edit got put in other posts, but the broken links bit never got replied to.

Just trying to keep it from getting lost in the shuffle :)

I scrolled through the list clicking on everything, and the following didn't do anything when clicked on:

Yep. Steve is still working on the help file. (A never-ending journey.) But it's good to mention this stuff when you find it since they can easily get overlooked or forgotten.

There seem to be some bugs with character sheets. I use tons of custom fields, but every time I save, quit, and re-open Storyist allllll of my custom fields disappear and are replaced with "Age, Gender, Eye Color, Hair Color, & Build". This also seems to affect templates. I created a new template for my Race Sheets and saved it, but it is not using the template as the default when I create a new character sheet in that collection.

Yeah. This is still an active bug. Steve is working on it.

And, I've noticed that the bookmark icons sometimes disappear in the text. The actual bookmarks are still there and when clicked upon it jumps around to them, but the icons are invisible. Sometimes they reappear when I create a new bookmark, sometimes they don't. Is there some type of preference or an option I'm missing to make them always visible or always invisible?

Surprisingly, this is the intended behavior. The default for Bookmarks is "Hide" but, nevertheless, they appear when you place one (so you know where you're putting it). To keep your Bookmarks visible you have to select Show Bookmarks.

Steve works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform.

Laughing on the inside.

-Thoth.

Where is this elusive show bookmarks option? Also, if no feature currently exists I would like to suggest the option to have "show bookmarks" as a default... I want to SEE them... especially when I click on one and am faced by a wall of text, in which no little flag points out what exactly it was I bookmarked...

Also, if no feature currently exists I would like to suggest the option to have "show bookmarks" as a default... I want to SEE them... especially when I click on one and am faced by a wall of text, in which no little flag points out what exactly it was I bookmarked...

It has been suggested ... if you can call groups of beta testers throwing themselves metaphorically at Steve's feet and wailing piteously a suggestion. :)

Many of us would prefer bookmarks and comments to be shown by default or to have some reasonable alternative: a preference setting that gives us that option or at least for the file to open in the same state in which it was saved.

One more vote for our side! ;)

Best,

Marguerite

*blush* ... I really need to explore the actual menus more..... I tend to ignore them.

Okay, so now that my bookmarks are visible, I can report that my first 3 bookmarks I created are indeed gone. The little flags no longer show up where I put them and clicking on them does not make the text jump around.

The new bookmark I created yesterday shows up, BUT it will only make the text jump the first time I click on it. AKA, if I am in say CH10 (with it highlighted in the Nav) I can click my bookmark and it jumps me to CH1 where the bookmark is and it becomes highlighted in the Nav. If I scroll down so that the bookmark is off the page and then click on it again (with it still highlighted) it does not jump back to my bookmark. If I scroll down, click off of it to one of my dead bookmarks so that the working one isn't still highlighted, and then click back to it, it still doesn't jump the text. If I scroll down, then click on a character sheet to view that, and then click back to my bookmark, it jumps the text, but not to the bookmark. It jumps to where I scrolled down to. If I click into another chapter in the manuscript and then click the bookmark again it works fine.

Is this a bug or am I just weird?

*blush* ... I really need to explore the actual menus more..... I tend to ignore them.

Okay, so now that my bookmarks are visible, I can report that my first 3 bookmarks I created are indeed gone. The little flags no longer show up where I put them and clicking on them does not make the text jump around.

The new bookmark I created yesterday shows up, BUT it will only make the text jump the first time I click on it. AKA, if I am in say CH10 (with it highlighted in the Nav) I can click my bookmark and it jumps me to CH1 where the bookmark is and it becomes highlighted in the Nav. If I scroll down so that the bookmark is off the page and then click on it again (with it still highlighted) it does not jump back to my bookmark. If I scroll down, click off of it to one of my dead bookmarks so that the working one isn't still highlighted, and then click back to it, it still doesn't jump the text. If I scroll down, then click on a character sheet to view that, and then click back to my bookmark, it jumps the text, but not to the bookmark. It jumps to where I scrolled down to. If I click into another chapter in the manuscript and then click the bookmark again it works fine.

Is this a bug or am I just weird?

You know, this sounds awfully familiar. Thoth, didn't you run into this in an earlier beta?

It was definitely fixed for a while. Gremlins must have got it.

Do you speak Gremlin as well as Goblin? If not, maybe something rude in Goblin will do the trick. I hear bookmarks hate being sworn at in Goblin. :lol:

Best,

Marguerite

You know, this sounds awfully familiar. Thoth, didn't you run into this in an earlier beta?

I certainly did. But it works fine for me now in V2.0.

Jules, are you, perchance, using a template from V1, or looking at bookmarks you placed in a beta version?

It was definitely fixed for a while. Gremlins must have got it.

Do you speak Gremlin as well as Goblin? If not, maybe something rude in Goblin will do the trick. I hear bookmarks hate being sworn at in Goblin. :lol:

Of course she speaks Gremlin. Everybody speaks Gremlin. How else could we ever get the toaster fixed.

And Jules thinks she's weird.

-Thoth

Gremlin is a lot harder to type than Goblin seeing that it has a lot more clicks and squeaks and purrs in it. I am fond of certain species of Gremlins, but the type that wreak havoc get overmuffins thrown at their heads.

*hurls overmuffins* Back you beasties! Back I say! You shall torment our fair Storyist no more!

:lol:

As for your questions T, this is my file from V1 yes. Though I just created a new doc and tested it and this part still happens:

Note that, I can also click on a notebook entry and it will work fine when I click back.

And no, the bookmarks aren't from a beta. I haven't done any betas yet.

*continues to hurl overmuffins at the bad bad gremlins*

Hmm.

There is a little idiosyncrasy in the OS that shows up in many programs that use fields as buttons: the Ghost select. If you click on a bookmark, it jumps, you scroll the bm off screen, click on it again...it won't jump back because you're not really clicking on a button anymore but a field.

So what the heck is going on? The bm in the Bookmarks list isn't a button, it's a field. You will notice that after you click it it is "selected" (which is to say, highlighted). Clicking elsewhere in the text only puts the bm in light gray highlight. While highlighted (whether dark or light) it acts like a filed, not a button. To get it to work as a button again you have to deselect it by clicking somewhere else in the Project (anything in any of the other collections will do, even a different bm). Only then can you click again on the original bookmark and make it jump.

This is a Mac thing so I don't think Steve can fix it. But what do I know. There is often a workaround.

Click me and I'll jump.

- Thoth

Well that's just it... I can understand once it's already highlighted you can't click it again.. though that would be nice... BUT, clicking off of it does not work as you say it should, at least not all the time. It works as you say if I click (in the nav) on any part of the MS, a note, or another bookmark, BUT if I click on a Character, Setting, Plot, or Section and then click back to the bookmark it jumps to where I stopped scrolling and not the actual bookmark.

*click*

It does deselect it, but when re-selecting it after going to a sheet it jumps back to where I scrolled to and not the place the bookmark is.

Any idea about why my first bookmarks died?

(Hey! 70 posts! w00t... only 1,778 to catch up to Thoth.... 1,779.... 1,780.....)

It does deselect it, but when re-selecting it after going to a sheet it jumps back to where I scrolled to and not the place the bookmark is.

Odd. I can't seem to reproduce this.

Any idea about why my first bookmarks died?

If you were using an old V1 template, that might be the reason. But I tried your example with an old Novel template and still no joy. I saw this in an early beta but it was fixed in V2. So, if I can't reproduce it in V2 then I'm stymied. You must take your problem to the Great & Powerful Steve.

Stymied.

-Thoth.

(Catch up to me? What makes you think I'm standing still? I expect a fourth pip and a cake when I hit 2000.)

I tried it in a brand new file, the default text in the novel template and it does the same thing, as far as the scrolling bit goes. I haven't had another bookmark die yet. *deep breath* STEVE!!! :lol:

I'll just rebookmark the things that died and call it a fluke. If it happens again I'll throw overmuffins at it and yell for Steve.

(oh and yea.. I know.. hence the # of posts to catch up going up... also what's a Fourth Pip?)

... what's a Fourth Pip?)

pip:

1. a small hard seed in a fruit.

2. a disease of poultry causing thick mucus and white tongue scales.

3. a small shape or symbol, in particular

• any of the spots on playing cards, dice, or dominoes.

• a single blossom of a clustered head of flowers.

• a diamond-shaped segment of the surface of a pineapple.

• an image of an object on a radar screen (also called a blip).

• a star or other symbol designating rank (e.g., worn on the shoulder of an army officer's uniform).

4. a little blue box which can be seen on your left, Jules.

Three pips designate 30 posts. I don't really know if the Forum software goes any higher than that. But then, it never had to deal with the likes of us!

- Thoth.

Funny... I think the dictionary is behind on the times. I couldn't find definition 4 in any of them. :lol:

I definitely think would should get more pips.... perhaps • per 10 and then a square per hundred and a triangle for 1,000. That'd be cool.

Pip Pip Pip.. hurray!

- Jules

Very cool. :lol:

I think an exponential scale could work.

10 posts - one pip

100 posts - two pips

1000 posts - three pips

10,000 posts - four pips.

Dang. I'd better get to posting. I'm nowhere near 10,000.

- Thoth.

I tried it in a brand new file, the default text in the novel template and it does the same thing, as far as the scrolling bit goes. I haven't had another bookmark die yet. *deep breath* STEVE!!! :lol:

I'll just rebookmark the things that died and call it a fluke. If it happens again I'll throw overmuffins at it and yell for Steve.

(oh and yea.. I know.. hence the # of posts to catch up going up... also what's a Fourth Pip?)

This must be very frustrating, but I can't reproduce it either.

1. Open a new project based on Novel.

2. Click at three different parts of the boilerplate text and create bookmarks Test 1, Test 2, and Test 3 (okay, not too creative, but it's the end of a long day).

3. Click on each new bookmark in turn and watch the text jump as it should. Scroll down and repeat: text still jumps to bookmarks.

4. Click on Characters > Protagonist and then on a bookmark. Text jumps to bookmark.

5. Click on Characters > Antagonist and a different bookmark. Same results.

6. Save and close file.

7. Reopen file: bookmarks visible (i.e., not hidden as we have been saying they would be). Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5. Bookmarks still working as advertised.

8. Quit Storyist and write commiserating note to Jules. :lol:

If I do find a similar problem, I'll post again. I use bookmarks much less than Thoth does, though. I think they're a good idea, but I haven't quite adjusted to their appearance—plus I'm mostly taking notes at present rather than writing or revising.

Good luck with the Gremlins. If you manage to grab one, send it over here to fix my toaster. The locals have been quite uncooperative. And maybe it will be sufficiently 'umbled to stop messing with your bookmarks. :P (for the Gremlins, not the Storyists).

Best,

Marguerite

I opened a new file, just to test again.... created the 3 test bookmarks and 1 setting sheet. Clicking between the bookmarks and clicking from a bookmark to a note or MS works fine after scrolling, BUT if you click test one bookmark, scroll it, then click onto a char sheet or setting sheet etc. then click back to test one bookmark it goes to where you stopped scrolling and not to the actual bookmark.

Neither of you get that?

I opened a new file, just to test again.... created the 3 test bookmarks and 1 setting sheet. Clicking between the bookmarks and clicking from a bookmark to a note or MS works fine after scrolling, BUT if you click test one bookmark, scroll it, then click onto a char sheet or setting sheet etc. then click back to test one bookmark it goes to where you stopped scrolling and not to the actual bookmark.

Neither of you get that?

Nope. I even tested it by placing one bookmark as far away from the others as I could, so I could be sure it was jumping to the bookmark and not to where I left the cursor.

Sorry!

Perhaps save your test file and e-mail it to Steve?

Best,

M

I opened the Help File

Clicked on "Getting To Know Storyist"

Is it a bug or just me?

Also

Both are fixed in 2.0.1. Thanks Julia.

-Steve

Archived