Storyist Forums

Stump Thoth Now!

marguerite

In deference to Steve's nerves, I added a new topic here, instead of cluttering up "Using Storyist" any further:

Quoting Jules:

We should all have a stump Thoth challenge..... like what was the name of the fish in Pinocchio? And what instrument of mashing the potatoes did Sam use in Benny & Joon?

Or... What does the Civet (tree dwelling mammal) have to do with Coffee? And what's the difference between the Eastern Garter Snake and the Eastern Ribbon Snake?

Or even... Name three types of archery bows (not brand names).

Host of the Stump Thoth Show

Jullese

I know the answer to the question about the civet and the coffee, with which I will not burden the group, except to say that a friend once shared said coffee (brewed, naturally). It tastes just like coffee with a less, ahem, colorful history.

And in recent months I have learned far more than I really cared to know about the composite reflex bow, favored by the Mongols, Tatars, Russians, and Turks. There is also the long bow of Agincourt fame. And the third would be ??? Not a crossbow, surely? A short-range bow of some type?

Although I have faith in Thoth. I think it will take more than that to stump him. :lol:

Tipping my large feathered hat to all,

Marguerite

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should have a Stump Marguerite contest. Here's a half dozen to start you off.

1. How many chucks could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck chucks?

2. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

3. If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there it hear, does it make a sound?

4. Which came first the chicken or the egg?

5. What happens when an irresistible force meets and immovable object?

42. What is the meaning of life?

There are actual, somewhat reasonable answers for these questions.

As for the bow question, click here.

The Web makes experts of us all.

-Thoth.

I think we should have a Stump Marguerite contest. Here's a half dozen to start you off.

1. How many chucks could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck chucks?

2. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

3. If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there it hear, does it make a sound?

4. Which came first the chicken or the egg?

5. What happens when an irresistible force meets and immovable object?

42. What is the meaning of life?

There are actual, somewhat reasonable answers for these questions.

As for the bow question, click here.

The Web makes experts of us all.

-Thoth.

1. 4.. assuming you put a wood chuck in Chucks, it would chuck them off its feet, therefore chucking 4 chucks before it was free

2. That answer is directly related to how to put a camel through the eye of a needle and is therefore classified.

3. Yes. If you're deaf, does sound still exist?

4. The chicken

5. A really loud boom and a pile of dust.

42. 42

Well see, using Google (or any other search engine or website, dictionary, anything other than what's in your head already, just to make it clear) before you post your answer is cheating! You also must only ask questions to which you know the answer to, or at least think you know the answer to :lol:

I could have asked about 4 bow types... I forgot about the Crossbow, in addition I would have said Longbow, Recurve, and Compound. I'm sure there's a heck of a lot of subsets. A Composite looks like a sub of the Recurve, or atleast the ancestor of modern Recurves, but that site listed it as it's own. It did leave out Crossbows though.

Since Thoth thinks he's not a game show.. we could have a Stump Everyone/Anyone Challenge. :)

Oh and for anyone who's curious, http://www.gartersnake.info/articles/00169...ter_snake.phtml

Speaking of Garter Snakes.. I've been searching for one this season and FINALLY got one (our property seems to have an odd lack of Garter Snakes). It's a fairly small one, so I'm still hoping I will catch a big one or a the guy at the pet store who sees them all the time will catch me one, but we'll see. Just thought I'd share. LOL!!

Okay, so it's someone else's turn to ask the question.

Who enjoys Q&A Games?

1. Jules 2. Jools

3. Jewels 4. Julz

ps. Sam used a tennis racket to mash the potatoes in Benny & Joon

1. 4.. assuming you put a wood chuck in Chucks, it would chuck them off its feet, therefore chucking 4 chucks before it was free

2. That answer is directly related to how to put a camel through the eye of a needle and is therefore classified.

3. Yes. If you're deaf, does sound still exist?

4. The chicken

5. A really loud boom and a pile of dust.

42. 42

1. Interesting take on the word "chuck". I use: break off a relationship with a partner; give up on suddenly. Since woodchucks mate for life (or so I'm told — they look like the type of mammal that sneaks around), if they could give up on one relationship then that would be their last. So the answer is one.

2. Yes, it is classified but, as a beta, you've been granted codeword clearance. One answer is: as many as can get dates. Another answers is: as they are insubstantial, an infinite number.

3. Before the Age Of Science, all phenomena were defined subjectively; a sound was something you hear. But now all phenomena is defined objectively; sound is vibration in the air. So the answer was no but is now yes.

4. This is another etymological query. What is the definition of a chicken relative to the definition of an egg? If by egg we mean something laid by a chicken, then the chicken came first but that chicken didn't hatch from a "chicken" egg. If by chicken we mean something hatched by a "chicken" egg then the egg came first but it wasn't laid by a chicken. To hold both notions simultaneously is a contradiction and so the question is rendered silly.

5. This is another example of etymological silliness. An irresistible force and an immovable object cannot, by definition, exist simultaneously in such a manner as to be able to meet. A possible way around this is to call the immovable object the universe itself and the irresistible force a (for example) black hole within that universe. But it could be argued that we're defining the immovable object as including the irresistible force itself. So the object wins.

42. 42. Nice to know you've read Hitchhikers. But there are several serious philosophical answers to this question ranging from "getting into heaven" to "eliminating pain from your life". Post Enlightenment answers include, "The meaning of your life is completely up to you. Only you get to decide what you want your life to stand for."

I hope you've enjoyed our show.

I could have asked about 4 bow types... I forgot about the Crossbow, in addition I would have said Longbow, Recurve, and Compound. I'm sure there's a heck of a lot of subsets. A Composite looks like a sub of the Recurve, or atleast the ancestor of modern Recurves, but that site listed it as it's own. It did leave out Crossbows though.

The article used bow architecture to define type. Some (not everyone) do not consider a different release mechanism as constituting a different bow type. Obviously, you could turn any type of bow (e.g., a longbow) into a crossbow. (And that would be so cool for dragon hunting. But I wouldn't want to have to carry it around.)

Since Thoth thinks he's not a game show.. we could have a Stump Everyone/Anyone Challenge. :lol:

Maybe. But do we really need the pressure? I just do this for fun. (I also enjoy pounding railroad spikes through my palms.)

Oh and for anyone who's curious, http://www.gartersnake.info/articles/00169...ter_snake.phtml

Speaking of Garter Snakes.. I've been searching for one this season and FINALLY got one (our property seems to have an odd lack of Garter Snakes). It's a fairly small one, so I'm still hoping I will catch a big one or a the guy at the pet store who sees them all the time will catch me one, but we'll see. Just thought I'd share. LOL!!

And thank you for sharing. Here's a link to the Minoan Snake Goddess. I have no explanation for the ...er... interesting dress. Enjoy your serpents.

Who enjoys Q&A Games?

1. Jules 2. Jools

3. Jewels 4. Julz

Thank you.

ps. Sam used a tennis racket to mash the potatoes in Benny & Joon

Sam is a weirdo. He should have used a lacrosse stick to hurl the potato against the ceiling repeatedly until it surrenders its tuberous goodness.

- Thoth.

4. This is another etymological query. What is the definition of a chicken relative to the definition of an egg? If by egg we mean something laid by a chicken, then the chicken came first but that chicken didn't hatch from a "chicken" egg. If by chicken we mean something hatched by a "chicken" egg then the egg came first but it wasn't laid by a chicken. To hold both notions simultaneously is a contradiction and so the question is rendered silly.

Perhaps this is a Brave New World chicken, created from chicken DNA in a laboratory test tube, thus causing yet another eternal question to bite the dust (like the tree in the forest question).

The article used bow architecture to define type. Some (not everyone) do not consider a different release mechanism as constituting a different bow type. Obviously, you could turn any type of bow (e.g., a longbow) into a crossbow. (And that would be so cool for dragon hunting. But I wouldn't want to have to carry it around.)

The composite bow is also recurved, that's true. What makes it different from the one on the website is that its wooden structure is strengthened with horn from a goat or sheep. (Told you I had learned far more than I really wanted to know!) Not sure why the site designers put it in a separate category, though. Seems more like a subcategory.

Sam is a weirdo. He should have used a lacrosse stick to hurl the potato against the ceiling repeatedly until it surrenders its tuberous goodness.

Thoth.

Potatoes again? What is it with this group and spuds?! :lol:

In awe of the many-named—or at least many-spelled,

Marguerite

Perhaps this is a Brave New World chicken, created from chicken DNA in a laboratory test tube, thus causing yet another eternal question to bite the dust (like the tree in the forest question).

Ah. But the questions was which came first, in time. So it's a question about evolution. But if you don't swing that way, then the chicken came first because GOD (specifically Yahweh / Jehovah / Allah in this case) created all animal and plant life complete and whole. Or maybe the space aliens did it in a laboratory test tube. You never know with space aliens.

The composite bow is also recurved, that's true. What makes it different from the one on the website is that its wooden structure is strengthened with horn from a goat or sheep. (Told you I had learned far more than I really wanted to know!) Not sure why the site designers put it in a separate category, though. Seems more like a subcategory.

Googling bow types returned 8,450,000 sites. I'm confidant that at least one of them matches any of our conceptions.

Potatoes again? What is it with this group and spuds?! :lol:

Don't knock the Solanum tuberosum. It's place in history is undeniable.

The vodka is on me.

Za Vas!

- Thoth.

For those curious about stumping questions (and answers), here's a fun site.

Always helpful.

-Thoth

Looks like a cool site! I will have to browse it. Perhaps that will keep me from pestering my friends (Forum-ists and RL-ers both) with an endless barrage of questions and rambling about bits of things I've learned. I am routinely told by one of my friends that no one else he knows asks as many questions as me, wants as many definitions, and "still doesn't get it". He's only wrong about that last thing.

Considering reading the dictionary

- Jewlz

ps. heading over to the milestones thread.. follow me to find out why!

Looks like a cool site! I will have to browse it. Perhaps that will keep me from pestering my friends (Forum-ists and RL-ers both) with an endless barrage of questions and rambling about bits of things I've learned. I am routinely told by one of my friends that no one else he knows asks as many questions as me, wants as many definitions, and "still doesn't get it". He's only wrong about that last thing.

Your friend does not grasp the joy of knowledge.

Remember, the more you know the less you don't know.

ps. heading over to the milestones thread.. follow me to find out why!

Okay.

Q: What did the Buddhist say to the hot dog vender.

A: Make me one with everything.

(An old joke but a merry one.)

- Thoth.

The sad thing is... I was too busy trying to figure out why the Buddhist was ordering a meat containing product to get the joke for a minute. :lol:

Over Thinker

- J

A few questions to stump Thoth:

1. What is the third app from the right on the second page, fourth row of my iPhone?

2. Why am I so amazing?

3. Why does everyone think I'm the greatest person ever, in the whole world, of all time?

4. What flavor gum am I chewing right now?

5. How many monkeys does it take to throw a refrigerator out the window?

6. When mommy called the doctor, what did the doctor say?

7. Perkadeedledidle?

8. How much is that doggy in the window?

9. I am electric.

10. I am electric?

A few questions to stump Thoth:

Q1. What is the third app from the right on the second page, fourth row of my iPhone?

A1. The third app from the right on the second page, fourth row of my iPhone is RmpShakr.

Q2. Why am I so amazing?

A2. I am so amazing because I bring great surprise and wonder to all who behold me.

Q3. Why does everyone think I'm the greatest person ever, in the whole world, of all time?

A3. It's due to a genetically inherited meme established in the early Pleistocene period.

Q4. What flavor gum am I chewing right now?

A4. Watermelon. (How did you know I was chewing gum?)

Q5. How many monkeys does it take to throw a refrigerator out the window?

A5. One large monkey if the refrigerator is monkey-sized. (Watch out for falling freezers in Monkey Town!)

Q6. When mommy called the doctor, what did the doctor say?

A6. If we're talking about your mommy, "Hello Mrs Jeppesen".

Q7. Perkadeedledidle?

A7. Perka die die dum. (And you can take that to the bank.)

Q8. How much is that doggy in the window?

A8. The one with the waggly tail? $17.95, includes shots and neutering.

Q9. I am electric.

A9. But are you Always Ready? (Album available on iTunes.)

Q10. I am electric?

A10. No. Sorry. But I am music and I write the songs.

Thank you for playing our game Brian.

Now go write something.

And if you can't, then go right something.

Shoowah bop!

- Thoth.

To quote Calli: "Sometimes I feel bad for posting just to snicker at Thoth. Sometimes"

:lol:

Snickering

- Joolsey

Hi Julep.

Oh, go ahead and snicker. Snickering is the lubricant that keeps people reading the forums instead of burning out on Storyist commentary. You might be interested to know that before the forum there was only the Beta Group posting bugs to a file for Steve. I bet he never expected the other subjects that would blossom here.

- A tall cool frothy Thoth. (Say that three time fast to drive away gremlins.)

To quote Calli: "Sometimes I feel bad for posting just to snicker at Thoth. Sometimes"

:lol:

Snickering

- Joolsey

And where is Calli, anyway? Haven't heard from her in ages! Surely her new Mac can't have crashed right after her old one died!

M

I dunno, but I'd love to "meet" her. I enjoyed reading all of her posts. I really like her art as well. I added her on Flickr and dA.

Maybe we should place an ad for a blood hound?

Breaking out the detective kit

- Sherlock Jules

PS. Frothy Thoth Frothy Thoth Frothy Thoth

And where is Calli, anyway? Haven't heard from her in ages! Surely her new Mac can't have crashed right after her old one died!

M

Her last post was 30 day's ago (June 11th). But, you know, sometimes things come up. I sent her a PM, which will bounce an e-mail notice to her IP mail server. If she's up and running, and has the time and inclination, I'm sure she'll drop us a line.

A Sock Puppet but not a Stalker.

- Thoth.

BTW: "Jumping Julia. Jumping Julia. Jumping Julia." The alliteration keeps away goblins as well as gremlins.

Breaking news.

The answer to the question, "Where In The World Is Callista Storyist?" follows:

Cali is fine. Her significant other whisked her off to Mississippi and then New York (for a bout of alligator wrestling on the banks of the Old Miss and in the NYC's Sewers, I suspect). She'll be back Monday.

No one ever whisks me away. *sob*

-Thoth.

Breaking news.

The answer to the question, "Where In The World Is Callista Storyist?" follows:

Cali is fine. Her significant other whisked her off to Mississippi and then New York (for a bout of alligator wrestling on the banks of the Old Miss and in the NYC's Sewers, I suspect). She'll be back Monday.

No one ever whisks me away. *sob*

-Thoth.

A likely story. I expect she's been back to the home world for her next stage of EAO training and will return badder, if not bigger, than ever. :lol:

As for you not being whisked away, have you already forgotten the EAO who snagged you with a tie and hauled you off to durance vile (read: rehabilitation facility with one Internet-connected PC and 246 chat-room-obsessed would-be users)? Wasn't one go-round enough? :P

Thanks for checking with Calli. Good to know she'll be back soon, and I'm sure she looks lovely in her lace-trimmed turquoise corset of evil (with stiletto heels to match, of course).

Best,

M

A likely story. I expect she's been back to the home world for her next stage of EAO training and will return badder, if not bigger, than ever. :lol:

I thought alligator wrestling was part of Overlady training. Live and learn.

As for you not being whisked away, have you already forgotten the EAO who snagged you with a tie and hauled you off to durance vile (read: rehabilitation facility with one Internet-connected PC and 246 chat-room-obsessed would-be users)? Wasn't one go-round enough? :P

I do try to forget the bad stuff. So thanks for reminding me. :( One PC (running Windows 98!) and a long line of zombified rehab inmates. *shudder* It was hell. A clear violation of the Geneva Conventions.

Thanks for checking with Calli. Good to know she'll be back soon, and I'm sure she looks lovely in her lace-trimmed turquoise corset of evil (with stiletto heels to match, of course).

I'm sure she'll work her way up from the green COE to the red COE in no time.

Mmmm. Corsets of evil. *drool*

- Thoth.

I thought alligator wrestling was part of Overlady training. Live and learn.

Oh, you figured that out. Well, it is true that once an EAO learns to snag an alligator with a tie, no human male stands a chance. But I believe it is part of the training for the lavender corset level (that would be why Attila and Genghis began there: if it hadn't been for the scarcity of alligators on the steppe, I'm sure they would have routinely wrestled a few every day before breakfast—and perhaps for breakfast, as well). Calli is long past that, unless she just went back for a refresher course.

I do try to forget the bad stuff. So thanks for reminding me. :P One PC (running Windows 98!) and a long line of zombified rehab inmates. *shudder* It was hell. A clear violation of the Geneva Conventions.

Sorry, that was very wrong of me. :( So let me repeat that we are all delighted to have you back from durance vile. It was positively snoozy around here while you were battling the rehab zombies for your five minutes a day. Is that why you never went back for walking lessons?

I'm sure she'll work her way up from the green COE to the red COE in no time.

Mmmm. Corsets of evil. *drool*

- Thoth.

Careful! That's how we get you into our thrall! :lol:

Concerned,

M

Sorry, that was very wrong of me. :P So let me repeat that we are all delighted to have you back from durance vile. It was positively snoozy around here while you were battling the rehab zombies for your five minutes a day. Is that why you never went back for walking lessons?

Actually it was an insurance issue. Insurance zombies are far worse that rehab zombies.

Careful! That's how we get you into our thrall! :lol:

M, you always enthrall me. Corseted or not. But leave the stilettos on.

Preparing an alligator soufflé for lunch. TTFN.

- Thoth.

Actually it was an insurance issue. Insurance zombies are far worse that rehab zombies.

But that's terrible! Insurance that keeps you in a wheelchair rather than pay for rehab? Unconscionable! :lol: A carton of over-muffins is heading for the perps at warp speed.

M, you always enthrall me. Corseted or not. But leave the stilettos on.

Preparing an alligator soufflé for lunch. TTFN.

- Thoth.

They never leave my feet, and Sir Percy has the scars to prove it. :P

Does this mean I have to engage in a toe-to-toe (heel-to-heel?) with Jules/Jools/Jewels over her minion?

No, I think not. Fortunately, we EAOs are very collaborative—with one another, at least. :(

M

But that's terrible! Insurance that keeps you in a wheelchair rather than pay for rehab? Unconscionable! :lol: A carton of over-muffins is heading for the perps at warp speed.

Absolutely! *Angrier!* But the legs happened years ago and the insurance company assumed that after a certain period of time you don't need it or it won't help. I have had some PT (paid for by myself) and can get around the house with a quad cane or walker for brief periods before I have to sit down. Such is life.

They never leave my feet, and Sir Percy has the scars to prove it. :P

:(

Does this mean I have to engage in a toe-to-toe (heel-to-heel?) with Jules/Jools/Jewels over her minion?

Only if you want to. Post the video on YouTube if you please. Otherwise you can share me. A minion-a-trois, if you will.

Fortunately, we EAOs are very collaborative—with one another, at least. :)

:D

-Thoth

BTW: Just broke 1,900 posts.

Archived