Storyist Forums

Help on creating template?

astillac

I'm trying to make a template, but I'm... I dunno, having a bad brain day or something. Gluten does bad things to my poor brain. ;) I can't find anything in the Storyist help files, or on the forums, but it's entirely possible (probable, actually) that I just missed it? Is anyone feeling helpful and willing to redirect me to the knowledge?

- Calli

I'm trying to make a template, but I'm... I dunno, having a bad brain day or something. Gluten does bad things to my poor brain. ;) I can't find anything in the Storyist help files, or on the forums, but it's entirely possible (probable, actually) that I just missed it? Is anyone feeling helpful and willing to redirect me to the knowledge?

- Calli

It's in the File Menu. File > Save as Template. (Once you get the file set up as you want it.)

Best,

M

It's in the File Menu. File > Save as Template. (Once you get the file set up as you want it.)

Best,

M

See, I can't seem to get the file set up. I can't seem to create a document using the blank template. :/ I mean, I make one, and the file is created, but there's nothing to type into until I choose Project > Novel/Film. I'm feeling very dumb today, please forgive the slowness.

See, I can't seem to get the file set up. I can't seem to create a document using the blank template. :/ I mean, I make one, and the file is created, but there's nothing to type into until I choose Project > Novel/Film. I'm feeling very dumb today, please forgive the slowness.

I think that is how you create something to type into. Just delete the boiler plate text and keep one section. Then type enough boiler plate of your own to get the basic styles and format them however you want. Add or delete characters, plots, settings, notes, and sheets as needed, then save as template.

Best,

M

I always like to start with an existing template, mess with it, then Save As Template under a new name. Sometimes I have to change it several times, either over-writing the old template with the same name or creating a new name. Then, later I'll go into the template file and trash what I don't want to keep.

Eat a gluten-free overmuffin. It's good brain food.

- Thoth.

This is fantastically frustrating. I realize it's user error, but somehow that just makes it more frustrating. I just gave up and am typing the stupid thing in TextEdit. I think I'll import it into the Storyist file that I have set up with my characters and stuff after I'm done. I seem to remember version one having a blank, unformatted manuscript if you chose the blank template. Am I the only one that misses that?

- Calli

This is fantastically frustrating.... I seem to remember version one having a blank, unformatted manuscript if you chose the blank template. Am I the only one that misses that?

You can still choose the Blank template in 2.0.2. but you don't get anything under Documents. Not even a blank manuscript page. You can select Novel Manuscript from Project, of course. And you can create a Collection, name it Characters, and fill it with character sheets. The Character sheets will be standard but you can delete some fields and add your own.

I guess I'm just not quite sure what the problem is, exactly.

Feeling sympathetic pains,

- Thoth.

Thanks Thoth. I know I'm just frustrating myself. I would really like to use Storyist to do this, I just can't seem to make my own format. I'm trying to do this: http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/eng/howtovformatcomicbooks. I was trying to use the script template as a base, but I can't seem to make it do more than make me pull my vodka out of the freezer. :D

Thanks Thoth. I know I'm just frustrating myself. I would really like to use Storyist to do this, I just can't seem to make my own format. I'm trying to do this: http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/eng/howtovformatcomicbooks. I was trying to use the script template as a base, but I can't seem to make it do more than make me pull my vodka out of the freezer. :D

Okay. I think I see the problem. Let me play with it for a while. If I'm not driven to drink I'll let you know. If I am I'll be too inebriated to be of much use to anyone. :D

- Thoth.

I managed to set up a file that looks like the format on the website you directed us to, Cali. It looks like the only real difference is the underlining of the section titles. If I'm mistaken, you can punch me in the ear.

So, to set it up, choose the screenplay format.

Highlight part of the first sectiono header, "FADE IN:"

Click Format -> Style -> Edit Current Style

In the dialog that opens, click the box next to the word Underline under the Font panel.

Choose Single from the list that pops up.

Click Okay.

You should now see that all of the section titles become underlined. Also, any new section titles created when you create a new section in the Project Panel or by hitting enter twice and selecting Section Header will be underlined.

The only issue now is the inline bolding and italicizing of certain elements. I think you'll just have to do those manually.

Now, to save this as a template, choose File -> Save as Template.

If this isn't quite what you're looking for, or if you want the file to do even more, let me know. I'll see what I can work up. Also, if the is what you want, but can't duplicate my steps, let me know. I can make a file and upload it for your use.

Hope this helps!

-Brian

AH! Yes, that worked! Thank you! Would you happen to know how to make the numbered sections Sections, like in the novel format? For example:

PAGE ONE

1. A WRITER sits at a desk by the window, rifling a stack of index cards and staring at the blank page on the screen.

Writer

(muttering)

Who cares about how the darn thing is formatted? The play's the thing, right?

2. A breeze rustles the curtains and two tiny figures, MELPOMENE and THALIA, both dressed in flowing robes, alight on the window sill.

Would it be possible to have sections for one and two? Or maybe I'm not thinking of the right thing. If I use scenes for the pages - what should I use for the panels within the page? Does that make sense?

If not, I think I can work with it like this. Thank you, everyone. :D

AH! Yes, that worked! Thank you! Would you happen to know how to make the numbered sections Sections, like in the novel format? For example:

Would it be possible to have sections for one and two? Or maybe I'm not thinking of the right thing. If I use scenes for the pages - what should I use for the panels within the page? Does that make sense?

Calli:

Have you tried clicking on the first line and choosing Format > Style > Create New Style from Selection? A window will pop up that lets you name the new style (Page, say) and, so long as the appropriate box is checked, it applies the style to that line when you click OK. You can then choose Format > Style > Edit Current Style to define your new Page style, including whether or not you want it displayed in the Project View outline. Make sure the outline level is set to Heading 1.

Then click the second line and do the same thing, calling it Panel. When you edit the style, set the outline level to Heading 2 (so it will display as a subset of your pages).

There's a glitch here that I don't have time right now to work out, visible in the screen shot as "Untitled Scene," but you can see the page and its panels displayed in the Project View, so it's very close to a solution.

BTW, you can rename your scenes sections if you like: Format > Style > Edit Current Style and change the name. (Or create a new style, if you prefer to keep the scene style around.)

Best,

Marguerite

Hey Cali. I actually thought about this while setting it up on my end. Here is what I think I've figured out. A particular style (i.e. Section Header) can only carry a single format. In novels, section header is the centered pound sign. The Chapter Header in a novel could be compared to the Page or Panel headers. Unfortunately, the Chapter Headers are based on the folder that contains the sections, and I can't make folders within a Script. If I could figure out how to manipulate the file to allow folders under the My Script portion of the project panel, then I could have those be the Page and Panel headers, and then have the numbered sections be the actual sections.

In short, without more info from Steve, I don't think it's possible to have the Numbered sections be the actual sections. If he chips in though, I would be happy to set the file up with folders and everything, and then post it somewhere for everyone.

Brian

updated: I forgot to address the Page vs. Panel question. I think the best procedure for now is to have the Page Header just be an empty section, and the Panels contain the panel contents. Since the Page and Panel styles are the same, this should format it identically to the site you pointed us to.

updated again: I spoke too soon. M is right and she's figured out how to separate the Page vs. Panel, and contain subfolders. Thanks M. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Hey Cali,

So, I made up a file with the new info M gave me. It has a slight change from what she did to allow the numbered sections to show up in the project panel.

Instructions:

Drop the attached file in the folder located at: your username/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Templates

Create a new Storyist project. In the window that you would normally choose to make a new Script of Novel, you can now choose Comic Book.

The File:

Comic_Book.story

Hope this helps. If you'd like any changes, let me know. I did this quickly, so it's possible I have missed something.

Brian

Archived