Storyist Forums

V - The New Series

thealtruismsociety

DAMN! I think you're right. He definitely didn't "transfer" in the cut I saw. But my friend, who saw the film elsewhere, claims he DID see it! There definitely are at least two versions of this film. (Thanks for the spoiler.)

Have a good one.

- Thoth.

$18.50 plus snacks and you didn't get to see Jake's eyes open? I'd demand my money back if I were you! :D

He definitely transferred in the 3-D version I saw. You didn't blink or anything, did you?

Call me sentimental, but I loved the Smurfs and the pretty flowers and the flying scenes and even the stegosauri. Oh, sure, Eywa took her sweet time about deciding to save her own roots and then only sent one flight of birds and a couple of charges by big rhino thingies and little dogs with attitude. How come she didn't want to save the Home Tree if it represented the heart of the planetary network? Or the ancestors? Did the Navi tick her off with all that moaning and swaying? And I have to admit that I could pretty much sketch out the plot five minutes into the movie. But hey, at least it had a plot (don't get me started on Sherlock Holmes), not to mention Sigourney Weaver. And the 3-D was really cool. :(

I've also liked Zoë Saldana ever since she stole Center Stage. She makes a lovely Uhura, too.

Happy New Year, everyone. Like Hase, I'm hoping for vast improvements over the last one.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi M.

$18.50 plus snacks and you didn't get to see Jake's eyes open? I'd demand my money back if I were you! :D

He definitely transferred in the 3-D version I saw. You didn't blink or anything, did you.

I may have blinked but I don't think so. In any case, I may demand my money back anyway, just on principle. (The principle being that $18.50 seems too much for a movie given that the DVD probably wont cost that much. :( )

Call me sentimental...

Okay, you're sentimental. Forgivable, given all that Jungle of Eden schmaltz. It's the same scenic lure you see in those old Tarzan movies. A nice place to visit but I wouldn't really want to live there (even in a Na'vi body). It seems that you have to be quite the acrobat to dance along the giant root/road system they have.

Oh, sure, Eywa took her sweet time about deciding to save her own roots and then only sent one flight of birds and a couple of charges by big rhino thingies and little dogs with attitude. How come she didn't want to save the Home Tree if it represented the heart of the planetary network? Or the ancestors?

The gods are a fickle bunch.

I liked seeing Sigourney Weaver kicking butt again. A pity she said she'd never make another Alien. Not that her statement did anything to slow down the franchise. (The last one was in 2007, Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem. Another is due this year.)

Yes, Zoë Saldana makes a lovely Uhura. (Nichelle Nichols BTW is 77 and still and active actress.)

Talk about sentimental and nostalgic; Did anyone see the Twilight Zone Marathon over New Years?

And when is V coming back? (Just trying to stay on topic.)

Happy New Year.

I'm always hoping the next one will be better.

I'm right about half the time.

- Thoth.

Despite the movie's many little flaws, I really, really enjoyed it. It was WAY better than Dances with Wolves. I didn't really feel that there was much room for an Avatar 2 though. It wouldn't be hard to come up with a plot, I just don't know if it would be as good.

I really liked the Tech in the movie, it was pretty realistic for logical evolution of current technology. I am also a sucker for happy endings. One thing I was curious about was Na'vi reproduction. The "mating" scene was rather vague, but at the beginning Weaver's character implies that their built-in ethernet cables are their genitalia. On that note, it's kind of interesting to think that they're basically having sex with all of their domesticated animals.

Anywho.

V should be coming back soon-ish as it is the new year, I think.

... I didn't really feel that there was much room for an Avatar 2 though. It wouldn't be hard to come up with a plot, I just don't know if it would be as good.

We never do. But whether or not there will be an Avatar 2 is purely a matter of Hollywood mathematics: Did it turn a profit so big they have to hire mathematicians to count the money. But profit could be a problem given its budget. Avatar was officially budgeted at $237 million. It grossed $232,180,000 on its opening weekend, the ninth-largest opening-weekend gross of all time (says Wikipedia), and the largest for a non-franchise original film.

I really liked the Tech in the movie, it was pretty realistic for logical evolution of current technology. I am also a sucker for happy endings. One thing I was curious about was Na'vi reproduction. The "mating" scene was rather vague, but at the beginning Weaver's character implies that their built-in ethernet cables are their genitalia. On that note, it's kind of interesting to think that they're basically having sex with all of their domesticated animals.

Wait, so those tentacles in their hair are not just for mind linking? They're genitals? Then what are their loincloths covering? (20th Century Fox logos? :D ) And thank you so very much for putting the whole bestiality angle out there. Clearly it needed to be said. They should send you a check for bringing a whole new demographic to the theater.

Too much to think about.

- Thoth

When he first gets his avatar body, he pulls out his fiberoptic link and pokes at it and says something along the lines of "weird."

Weaver's character walks by and instructs him that playing with it will make him blind.

As for the loincloths and breast-coverings, I think they were mainly stylistic. They might still breast-feed, but who knows? They might also have genitalia, but in that case, what was the deal with Weaver's comment?

When he first gets his avatar body, he pulls out his fiberoptic link and pokes at it and says something along the lines of "weird."

Weaver's character walks by and instructs him that playing with it will make him blind.

Honestly, I took that as simply her being sardonic. At that point in the story, she didn't like Jake at all. He was simply to be the "muscle" and she was still pissed off that his PhD brother was dead. I simply took that to mean that she didn't want him to play with his hair (maybe he'd break the networking strands off by accident?) and just gave him a throwaway line comparing playing with his hair link to masturbating.

Remember, Cameron was completely obsessive about making the biology of this planet "real" and if you think about it from a biological point of view, it would make no sense to have the hair be genitalia. It would require that sperm be created in the skull of males, and that the birth canal of females be in their head—or at the very least, their fallopian tubes would need to stretch from their hair to their uterus, which considering the fact that their waists are the width of pencils, is very unlikely.

Also, their hair did not intertwine in the love scene (in fact, I thought it would, and I was looking for that).

As for the loincloths and breast-coverings, I think they were mainly stylistic. They might still breast-feed, but who knows? They might also have genitalia, but in that case, what was the deal with Weaver's comment?

I think that it's pretty clear that Na'vi have genitalia in a similar region to humans, and that was just a quip. I have in fact told friends of mine who were scratching an itch particularly ferociously to "be careful or you'll go blind" in jest, and it's not because I thought that their genitals were in their elbows. :D

Orren

Talk about sentimental and nostalgic; Did anyone see the Twilight Zone Marathon over New Years?

We watched various episodes. The Shatner ones are classic. Some others with Burgess Meridith too. And I always mist up watching "In Praise of Pip."

March 30th, 10pm, 2010.

Happy New Year.

I'm always hoping the next one will be better.

I'm right about half the time.

I had a fair 2009. I too would like 2010 to be even better. Here's hoping!

Orren

Honestly, I took that as simply her being sardonic. At that point in the story, she didn't like Jake at all. He was simply to be the "muscle" and she was still pissed off that his PhD brother was dead. I simply took that to mean that she didn't want him to play with his hair (maybe he'd break the networking strands off by accident?) and just gave him a throwaway line comparing playing with his hair link to masturbating.

Remember, Cameron was completely obsessive about making the biology of this planet "real" and if you think about it from a biological point of view, it would make no sense to have the hair be genitalia. It would require that sperm be created in the skull of males, and that the birth canal of females be in their head—or at the very least, their fallopian tubes would need to stretch from their hair to their uterus, which considering the fact that their waists are the width of pencils, is very unlikely.

Also, their hair did not intertwine in the love scene (in fact, I thought it would, and I was looking for that).

I think that it's pretty clear that Na'vi have genitalia in a similar region to humans, and that was just a quip. I have in fact told friends of mine who were scratching an itch particularly ferociously to "be careful or you'll go blind" in jest, and it's not because I thought that their genitals were in their elbows. :(

Orren

That's most likely the case, but I do want to point out that their genitalia don't necessarily have to be so similar to our own. For all we know, their brains telepathically exchange information for the creation of something equivalent of DNA, or their sex cells travel through their bloodstream to the intended destination. :D

March 30th, 10pm, 2010.

Thank you.

Anyone catch the series finale of Eastwick? They turned Daryl from devil to muse and they all lived happily ever after. But, just to mess with us, a new sinister presence rolls into town. Oh well.

And now that we've settled the question of Na'vi genitalia shall we move on to how the skin suits work on V? Do they have to take them off when they go potty?

And how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? (As many as can get dates?)

For the answers to these and many other fascinating questions please consult your wildest imaginings.

- Thoth.

Hi M.

Okay, you're sentimental. Forgivable, given all that Jungle of Eden schmaltz. It's the same scenic lure you see in those old Tarzan movies. A nice place to visit but I wouldn't really want to live there (even in a Na'vi body). It seems that you have to be quite the acrobat to dance along the giant root/road system they have.

No kidding. I'm scared of heights, too, so I'd probably get drummed out of the Na'vi tribe for general wimpiness. Leap off a mountain onto a big bird with teeth? In my nightmares! :D

- Thoth.

Topic? We have a topic?

Never watched V, which is why I left the first 15 posts unanswered. :(

Off to tackle the Tatar hordes.

M

Never watched V, which is why I left the first 15 posts unanswered. :D

It's actually a lot of fun. You can catch the first four shows online, so if you decide to give it a look once it's back on at the end of March you'll be up to speed.

Thoth, in answer to the burning question of if they have to "de-skin" to potty, I guess until one of us are in the bathroom with them, we'll never know for sure. :( But considering that "skinning" is made out to be a terrible punishment, my guess is that they've probably figured out some other way to relieve themselves.

You never know, maybe the V's, like all the characters on the USS Enterprise, never need to potty.* :)

Orren

* AFAIK, the only Star Trek story to ever show even a glimpse of a toilet is Star Trek V, in which it is revealed that the brig has a toilet. Perhaps star fleet officers try to get arrested just so they can pee?

No kidding. I'm scared of heights, too, so I'd probably get drummed out of the Na'vi tribe for general wimpiness. Leap off a mountain onto a big bird with teeth? In my nightmares! :D

...Off to tackle the Tatar hordes.

I salute you, General Wimpiness (sounds like a Star Wars: The Clone Wars name). You go get them Tartars. Their sauce goes well with fish, those clever barbarians, so let a few live to spice up my fish dishes.

See the new V. You (probably) won't regret it.

(It has an Evil Alien Overlady as one of its stars.)

- Thoth.

Thoth, in answer to the burning question of if they have to "de-skin" to potty, I guess until one of us are in the bathroom with them, we'll never know for sure. But considering that "skinning" is made out to be a terrible punishment, my guess is that they've probably figured out some other way to relieve themselves.

You never know, maybe the V's, like all the characters on the USS Enterprise, never need to potty.*

* AFAIK, the only Star Trek story to ever show even a glimpse of a toilet is Star Trek V, in which it is revealed that the brig has a toilet. Perhaps star fleet officers try to get arrested just so they can pee?

Many years ago, when I was a the height of my geekiness, I purchased "blueprints" to the Starship Enterprise. They were quite detailed, laying out the crews quarters and even detailing its furniture (beds, end-tables, etcetera). But no lavatory, neither public nor private. Modern warships have public shower and toilet facilities for the crew (only officers can get some privacy) but I could find no such rooms on the Enterprise blueprints. Maybe it's like the space shuttle; they poop in their suits. Or like the International Space Station; they use special hose connectors that look like airline oxygen masks. FAIK the V have bayonet connectors for their poop tubes.

Potty — The world's common bond, even if we all do it differently.

- Thoth.

I salute you, General Wimpiness (sounds like a Star Wars: The Clone Wars name). You go get them Tartars. Their sauce goes well with fish, those clever barbarians, so let a few live to spice up my fish dishes.

See the new V. You (probably) won't regret it.

(It has an Evil Alien Overlady as one of its stars.)

- Thoth.

Oh, I'm not planning to take the Tatars out, just wrestle them into submission so they can make sauce for all. Here, have a gallon. Or two.

They're complaining like mad about being subdued by General Wimpiness, though. It's bad for their rock 'em, sock 'em image. I'm going to have to go in with my stiletto heels to stop them lounging around the yurt sulking into their fermented mare's milk. Otherwise, sauce production is heading way, way down and y'all will have to choose between Avatar tickets and condiments.

Glad to see that EAOs are finally getting the attention we deserve. Next thing you know, the Tatars will be making a V episode about me. :D

M

Oh, I'm not planning to take the Tatars out, just wrestle them into submission so they can make sauce for all. Here, have a gallon. Or two.

You are generous, my lady M.

They're complaining like mad about being subdued by General Wimpiness, though. It's bad for their rock 'em, sock 'em image. I'm going to have to go in with my stiletto heels to stop them lounging around the yurt sulking into their fermented mare's milk. Otherwise, sauce production is heading way, way down and y'all will have to choose between Avatar tickets and condiments.

Never! Especially since my theater serves tartar sauce on their popcorn.

Glad to see that EAOs are finally getting the attention we deserve. Next thing you know, the Tatars will be making a V episode about me. :D

I think it's scheduled for the Fall. Unfortunately, Tartars are renown for screwing up film production schedules. That and their sturdy yurts. (Try saying that five times fast: Sturdy yurts. Sturdy yurts. Sturdy yurts. Sturdy yurts. Sturdy yurts.)

Today the Tartars. Tomorrow the Goths!

- Thoth.

I think it's scheduled for the Fall. Unfortunately, Tartars are renown for screwing up film production schedules. That and their sturdy yurts. (Try saying that five times fast: Sturdy yurts. Sturdy yurts. Sturdy yurts. Sturdy yurts. Sturdy yurts.)

Today the Tartars. Tomorrow the Goths!

- Thoth.

Dang. So many hordes in need of discipline, so little time. EAOs don't get nearly the amount of sympathy we deserve for all our hard work.

Jan-Ali, get out of the mayonnaise! How many times do I have to tell you: tartar sauce is for smearing on fish, not on camera operators! And no, you can not go hunting until the shooting schedule is met!

Sigh,

M

Dang. So many hordes in need of discipline, so little time. EAOs don't get nearly the amount of sympathy we deserve for all our hard work.

Jan-Ali, get out of the mayonnaise! How many times do I have to tell you: tartar sauce is for smearing on fish, not on camera operators! And no, you can not go hunting until the shooting schedule is met!

Sigh,

M

Please don't be too hard on the horde. At least camera operators can still work betartared. Assuming, of course, that this isn't a prelude to cannibalism. But why begrudge the horde a tasty camera operator or two. Just so long as they don't start spreading the sauce on the camera itself. The gunks up the works, don't'cha know.

As for them spreading tartar sauce on your nobel self...well, what an EAO does with her horde should stay between themselves. Discipline can take many forms.

Stretching a joke too far?

- Thoth.

Way, way too far. Fortunately I have a supply of only slightly stale candy cane overmuffins to hand. ** hurling supply **

Feel free to try them with tartar sauce. Just don't tell me how it tastes.

As for the horde, I'm way too soft on them as it is. What's a stray overmuffin or two to a crowd like that, accustomed to Genghis stringing 'em up by the heels every time they got out of hand? Let 'em anywhere near a camera operator, and next thing you know, they've gummed up every piece of cinema equipment in the place—and then I'll never get to be a star, will I? :D

But if they know what's good for them, they'll keep the tartar sauce to themselves. I've got a stiletto heel right here, and no compunction about using it.

M

P.S. Avatar just passed the $1 billion mark after only 21 days. It's expected to hit the 2nd highest-grossing film spot, right behind Titanic, by this time next week. So I suspect 20th-Century Fox is already taking reservations for a return to Pandora. And Jim Cameron is probably being measured for his "king of the world" crown as I write.

Way, way too far. Fortunately I have a supply of only slightly stale candy cane overmuffins to hand. ** hurling supply **

Feel free to try them with tartar sauce. Just don't tell me how it tastes.

D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! Mmmmmm. Slightly staaale.

But if they know what's good for them, they'll keep the tartar sauce to themselves....

You don't know what you're missing. Hordes with a side of mayo! Yum.

P.S. Avatar just passed the $1 billion mark after only 21 days. It's expected to hit the 2nd highest-grossing film spot, right behind Titanic, by this time next week. So I suspect 20th-Century Fox is already taking reservations for a return to Pandora. And Jim Cameron is probably being measured for his "king of the world" crown as I write.

I think you're right on all counts but Avatar 2: Wrath of the Yappy Little Doggies, may be a few years off since J.C. is currently working on a "Fantastic Voyage" remake, plus he's going to produce, write and direct a segment in an upcoming "Heavy Metal" film.

He's a busy little devil.

- Thoth.

You don't know what you're missing. Hordes with a side of mayo! Yum.

Horde/mayo overmuffins: sound loverly, don't they? :D

I think you're right on all counts but Avatar 2: Wrath of the Yappy Little Doggies, may be a few years off since J.C. is currently working on a "Fantastic Voyage" remake, plus he's going to produce, write and direct a segment in an upcoming "Heavy Metal" film.

He's a busy little devil.

- Thoth.

Yes, indeed.

M

• 2 months later...

Archived