Storyist Forums

Why is this IPB button always lit?

Steve E

• 2 weeks later...
This IPB button has been lit since a link to another forum was installed. Perhaps a new topic will turn it off. No?

It's been lit every day for almost a month now (includng the dozen days since my last post) and without a new post (until now). What's with this button? Is anyone else being driven insane by its incessant blueness?

Sometimes it enters my dreams...

It's been lit every day for almost a month now (includng the dozen days since my last post) and without a new post (until now). What's with this button? Is anyone else being driven insane by its incessant blueness?

At the risk of sounding totally clueless (hey, I'm a writer who works on computers, not a programmer--as must be clear by now :) ), what's the difference? I see some buttons are dark blue and some are light blue, but until you mentioned it, I hadn't really paid them much attention.

So if the change in color is supposed to signal something, I guess it hasn't had that effect on me, but at least I can remain happily oblivious to its incessant (dark) blueness. It will always be blue, right? :lol:

Color blind and unfazed,

Marguerite

So if the change in color is supposed to signal something...

The IPB (Invision Power Board) button turns its unearthly dark blue with the gathering of the infernal forces of the autumnal equinox (September 23 in 2007)... or to signal to a signed-in member that there is an unread post in the accompanying forum. If there is no unread post, or the land is no longer bedeviled by the hellish hosts of the netherworld, the button transforms into a more saintly shade of blue. A light powder blue, I believe.

And so, Marguerite, I find myself lost in perpetual quandary. Since I know there were no new posts, either something is amiss in the fey land of Invision software support, or there be monsters afoot.

Surely a righteous and perceptive individual such as yourself can empathize with my predicament? Nay, the predicament of all good and decent folk. For if the issue is not resolved by All Hallow Even, all is lost.

All rods and cones intact, but frazzled,

-Thoth.

Insane? Are you kidding? I'm basing my whole NaNoWriMo novel on it! If it goes out, I'm going to be in big trouble.

IF

Insane? Are you kidding? I'm basing my whole NaNoWriMo novel on it! If it goes out, I'm going to be in big trouble.

Ah yes, anointed one. The blue button prophesy slowly reveals itself unto us. Soon all will be in thrall to its unholy blueness.

-Thoth.

BTW-1 Ashes! All is ashes, I tells ya!

BTW-2 Isaac? What happened to your icon? GASP!

The IPB (Invision Power Board) button turns its unearthly dark blue with the gathering of the infernal forces of the autumnal equinox (September 23 in 2007)... or to signal to a signed-in member that there is an unread post in the accompanying forum. If there is no unread post, or the land is no longer bedeviled by the hellish hosts of the netherworld, the button transforms into a more saintly shade of blue. A light powder blue, I believe.

And so, Marguerite, I find myself lost in perpetual quandary. Since I know there were no new posts, either something is amiss in the fey land of Invision software support, or there be monsters afoot.

Surely a righteous and perceptive individual such as yourself can empathize with my predicament? Nay, the predicament of all good and decent folk. For if the issue is not resolved by All Hallow Even, all is lost.

All rods and cones intact, but frazzled,

-Thoth.

Ah, well, this would explain why the dark/light blue distinction escaped me. In my browser, there are topics with dark blue IPB buttons that haven't been updated since August and topics with light blue buttons that were updated last week (General Topics in the Beta section, e.g.). So perhaps the infernal forces are more active than you thought. Or perhaps, since I usually don't bother to log out, my system is now in complete mental breakdown and can't recall what I've seen and what I haven't. Just for kicks, I'll log out after this and see if anything changes.

We who are lost in chaos salute you, to the extent that we can tear our fingers away from the mountain ledge that represents our only link to remaining sanity....

Marguerite

Ah yes, anointed one. The blue button prophesy slowly reveals itself unto us. Soon all will be in thrall to its unholy blueness.

-Thoth.

BTW Ashes! All is ashes, I tells ya!

Nope, logging out and in again didn't change a thing.

But you know, you could just look at the dates of the last posting to see what's new. :lol:

That's what those of us already monster-afflicted do.

Best,

Marguerite

Nope, logging out and in again didn't change a thing.

Ye gods! No change? Monster afflicted indeed, oh pearl*. The Trickster has defiled thy sacred temple (and by that I mean your computer, not...the other thing).

But you know, you could just look at the dates of the last posting to see what's new. :)

That is exactly what they want you to do! :lol: It's all part of their insidious plot. Get thee to a nunnery (by which I mean your preferred software source) and update your Browser**.

If you value your immortal soul (or are just mildly fond of it), do not look into the blue IPB button light.

-Thoth.

*"Marguerite" translated from the olde tongue. (French form of the Latin.)

** I'm using Safari 2.0.4 (419.3) until I update to Leopard's version. Which Browser are you using?

*"Marguerite" translated from the olde tongue. (French form of the Latin.)

Yes, I knew. Medieval historian. (You knew I wasn't a lawyer, as well as not a programmer, right? :)) But it never hurts to explain.

** I'm using Safari 2.0.4 (419.3) until I update to Leopard's version. Which Browser are you using?

Same thing. Guess you'll have to hire an ATV and go hunt down the monsters. Or could it be that the darkening of the IPB button signals something else entirely?

Getting sleepy ... sleepy ... sleepy.

Oh no! The light! Stop them, before we all become pod people! :)

:lol:

Pearl

Yes, I knew. Medieval historian.

That's wonderful! Early, High or Late Middle Ages? (Future Middle Ages?) Which region? Any particular subject? (My High School guidance counselor did his Masters on Byzantine chicken plucking. No joke. I suppose that explains a lot.) Where do you stand on Umberto Eco's neomedievalism? Charlemagne or Pippin? But most important of all: What do you know about the Medieval Blue Door of Obidos? My sources tell me that it could be the key to unraveling the mystery of the Blue Button.

Guess you'll have to hire an ATV and go hunt down the monsters.

All-terrain vehicle or Advanced Technology Vessel*? I'm working on the latter.

Getting sleepy ... sleepy ... sleepy.

Oh no! The light! Stop them, before we all become pod people! :lol:

Pod people? We should be so lucky! I haven't stopped clucking like a chicken. :) I'd see a witch doctor but I need the eggs. :)

Still fighting the good fight,

-Thoth.

*A type of nuclear submarine under construction for the Indian Navy at Visakhapatnam, India.

That's wonderful! Early, High or Late Middle Ages? (Future Middle Ages?) Which region? Any particular subject? (My High School guidance counselor did his Masters on Byzantine chicken plucking. No joke. I suppose that explains a lot.) Where do you stand on Umberto Eco's neomedievalism? Charlemagne or Pippin? But most important of all: What do you know about the Medieval Blue Door of Obidos? My sources tell me that it could be the key to unraveling the mystery of the Blue Button.

Still fighting the good fight,

-Thoth.

16th-century Russia. Social/cultural history, mostly. 16th-century is early modern in most people's view, but the Russians skipped the Reformation, so everything is considered medieval up to Peter the Great (no Putin jokes, please!).

There's even a collection of sermons (falsely, probably, to greater or lesser degree) attributed to St. John Chrysostom called "Margarit." My screen name comes from my novel, though. Think Sir Percy Blakeney, not St. John C.

Umberto Eco: well, they put Sean Connery in the movie. Nuff said. (No, seriously, I loved the book.)

Ah, the Medieval Blue Door. Darn, the monsters are fleeing into their corners, now, screaming, "How did he find out about that?!" :lol:

M

The monsters are fleeing into their corners, now, screaming, "How did he find out about that?!"

How, my 16th-century Russian[1] pearl? Why, the Medieval Blue Door of Obidos[2] web site, of course.

Flee, evil Blue IPB Button demons. Flee! Mwahaha!

-Thoth.

[1] Should I be thinking Emmuska Orczy's Sir Percy Blakeney?

[2] Not to be confused with the planet Obidos depicted on Stargate SG-1[3]. Or is it?

[3]Thoth was a minor Goa'uld scientist in Season 7, but my avatar's origins are the Egyptian god of arbitration, magic, writing, science, and the judging of the dead. They're just hobbies.

:huh:

No idea. It's still in my profile. Maybe they changed the resolution policy. We'll see if it shows up this time.

IF

Apparently the avatar policy either changed or was finally enforced. I've replaced that awesome picture of Longs Peak with my bunny doggit instead.

IF

Apparently the avatar policy either changed or was finally enforced. I've replaced that awesome picture of Longs Peak with my bunny doggit instead.

I didn't make any changes to the avatar policy, but I did enable guests to view pictures (screenshots). What happened to your avatar?

-Steve

I didn't make any changes to the avatar policy, but I did enable guests to view pictures (screenshots). What happened to your avatar?

-Steve

My avatar of Longs Peak stopped displaying. When I checked, the policy said that avatars could only be 90x90, and the mountain was 120xSomething. I'm not sure why it ever worked if 90x90 was the policy. The mountain still shows up as my personal image, though.

This IPB button has been lit since a link to another forum was installed around 9/29/07. Perhaps a new topic will turn it off. No?

With heartfelt apologies to Lady B, and a by-your-leave to Isaac, and as long as Steve is reading this thread again, I would like to get back to the subject: Can anyone tell me why this **bleeping** IPB button is always lit?

Confounded for no good reason,

-Thoth.

My avatar of Longs Peak stopped displaying. When I checked, the policy said that avatars could only be 90x90, and the mountain was 120xSomething. I'm not sure why it ever worked if 90x90 was the policy. The mountain still shows up as my personal image, though.

Hmmm. I have no idea why the policy is suddenly being enforced by the board. Sorry!

-Steve

With heartfelt apologies to Lady B, and a by-your-leave to Isaac, and as long as Steve is reading this thread again, I would like to get back to the subject: Can anyone tell me why this **bleeping** IPB button is always lit?

Confounded for no good reason,

-Thoth.

Back to business :huh:

As you pointed out, the topic is lit when there are unread replies. Just out of curiosity, have you followed the "moved" thread too?. If not, let me know and I'll submit a support request to the IPB folks tomorrow.

It doesn't stay lit for me, so to make sure I've got the issue: The forum titled "General Topics" at the main level is always lit as if to say there are new posts. Correct?

-Steve

Just out of curiosity, have you followed the "moved" thread too?. If not, let me know and I'll submit a support request to the IPB folks tomorrow.

I have only followed the "moved" thread once, back in September.

It doesn't stay lit for me...

Try logging out and then back in from an iMac running 10.4.10. (This could be an OS issue.)

...so to make sure I've got the issue: The forum titled "General Topics" at the main level is always lit as if to say there are new posts. Correct?

Correct, right, true, exactomundo, on the nail, bang on the money, on the button!

I know this seems trivial (except for a feeling in my bones that it is a portent of satanic doom). And it really isn't a Storyist issue (except for the satanic doom thing). But it is a small Storyist Forum issue. I've always used the buttons to quickly scan for new posts. I know I can simply ignore it or just read the "Last Post" statement on the right (as M suggests) but I'm a scanner by nature (not the David Cronenberg or Cordwainer Smith type) so I prefer the visual aid.

Thanks for listening,

-Thoth.

I have only followed the "moved" thread once, back in September.

Try logging out and then back in from an iMac running 10.4.10. (This could be an OS issue.)

Correct, right, true, exactomundo, on the nail, bang on the money, on the button!

I know this seems trivial (except for a feeling in my bones that it is a portent of satanic doom). And it really isn't a Storyist issue (except for the satanic doom thing). But it is a small Storyist Forum issue. I've always used the buttons to quickly scan for new posts. I know I can simply ignore it or just read the "Last Post" statement on the right (as M suggests) but I'm a scanner by nature (not the David Cronenberg or Cordwainer Smith type) so I prefer the visual aid.

Thanks for listening,

-Thoth.

Steve: If you're going to pursue this, it may be useful for you to know that on my machine, the Beta Users/Announcement button is also constantly lit, although the last post was yours on October 16; the Storyist/Troubleshooting button is lit (last post August 17); and so are Storyist/Announcements and Storyist/Using Storyist (last posts Oct. 25 and Oct. 26, respectively). This is in addition to this General Topics button and the Storyist/Feature Requests buttons, which are receiving a fair amount of traffic at present. I've begun clicking "View New Posts" routinely to make sure that I'm not just missing things (and discovered that I had in fact overlooked an entire thread). But if the buttons are supposed to be lit only when new posts are present, there definitely is no connection between that and what's happening on my screen. Perhaps it's a Safari problem? I haven't checked through Firefox or any other browser, because it doesn't really bother me that much. Could be a place to start, though. Thoth and I already established that we're using the same version of Safari.

OS 10.4.10, PPC G5, Safari 2.0.4 (419.3)

Best,

Marguerite

Archived