Storyist Forums

New users can provide valuable feedback

zelzahzadeh

As a total newbie here, I don't want to trounce all over the forums with suggestions that have been discussed ad nauseam or complain about functions that are readily available but have eluded me in my search. But, you guessed it, I'm going to anyway. And here's why: in the quest for the perfect writing software I've downloaded countless demos and purchased many expensive bundles only to find myself wanting. As this point in the search, when I try a new program, I look at the toolbar, write up some dummy chapters and organize them, and I already have enough information for me to decide if I should toss the day's program in the "more research" or "no good" virtual piles in my mind. I think it's safe to assume that a good chunk of seekers are shopping with the very same MO. I know adaptation is a part of switching software, but some common features are common for good reason.

Storyist isn't the most expensive software on the market, but it isn't cheap. And I have to say that the difficulty I had in completing basic tasks (at first) had me waffling on which pile this program belongs in. After a few hours of tinkering, I made the decision to stick with Storyist, but many people wouldn't have been so patient. Here are the features I think would make the app more appealing to the hard-core writer and the new dabbler alike. The buttons in particular would, in my estimation, lead to an increase in demo sales conversions.

Full screen buttons: Not one, but TWO: one for the full screen workspace view as we see it now, and one for a manuscript-only full screen. This is what I expect when I go full screen: I want to be immersed in the manuscript with no distractions. I exit full screen when I want to look at notes and such. I would personally settle for a manuscript-only full screen mode on its own, but I'm sure many of you have integrated Storyist's workspace view full screen into your rituals and routines. Maybe I will as well.

(One mode) well integrated into Scrivener, StoryMill, MacJournal

Add (maybe subtract) buttons! That little plus sign at the bottom of the Project Pane isn't the most inviting or easiest to find method of adding new items to the Project. In fact, having to select the section I'm adding to before clicking it can even be a bit frustrating at times. I would like to see custom icon buttons tailored for adding a character, plot point, notebook, scene, chapter, and other elements. They don't have to be visible by default but when I go into customize my toolbar, it would be great to have more options. If the appropriate location for the new item isn't selected in the project when a button is clicked, perhaps the new item could start in an "unsorted" collection.

Well integrated into Scrivener, StoryMill, MacJournal

Here are some things I've noticed that I think can be approved, though I can't really provide an example of another program that does it right.

Display recent projects on opening: I don't know anyone that starts a new novel or screenplay every time they open an app. It's a nice pop-up, but I'd love to see the title of my latest project in there, maybe even with a graphic of my choosing. Am I missing something here?

Character sheet changes: Can I change the color of character names here? Yellow isn't legible on my background. Also, I would love to change the size of character images, if not crop as well. It would be great if each character could have their own color scheme.

A "Book Preview" mode: By this I mean that I would love a button that would give me a two up, black and white (font settings included) look at my manuscript regardless of the dark background color, font, font color, size, and workspace mode I'm using to work. I just want to see what a chapter looks like in a book real quick, and then get back to work.

Misc:

Unique icons for Chapters and Segments.

Ability to select all text within one section only (am I missing the shortcut?)

The best timeline mode on the market :)

Add title page button. Templates are too easily lost; links too easily broken.

Perhaps most important, a tutorial that pops up on the first run. 10-15 screens with only a couple of sentences and clean graphics would be extremely beneficial for this app, IMO. A welcome or instruction video would be great too--maybe one for novelists and one for screenwriters. I think the program is so powerful and extensive that it can be intimidating at first. If someone had provided me a very SIMPLE overview of what a daily workflow and organization was like, it would have made my conversion much smoother. Having a good FAQ is important, but not as important has making the app as intuitive and welcoming as possible.

That's it. Hope I don't come off as demanding or ignorant. I just want to use the best writing software on the planet. If I'm missing some features that already exist, replies would be greatly appreciated.

I also want to take a moment and say that there are too many positives in the Storyist program to list. I'm not trying to bash anything or anyone here. After all, I've already paid hundreds of dollars on the competition, and I'm still choosing Storyist (as soon as the next paycheck comes). The ability to link views is awesome!

EDIT: It would also be great if I could save Workspace schemes and assign key shortcuts. For example, one shortcut brings up a side-by-side with chapter five of the manuscript in the left pane and a particular character sheet in the right, while another shortcut brings a stacked view with the characters board on top and plot points on the bottom.

Hi zelzahzadeh,

Thanks for the requests. First, let me say I agree that a "fresh pair of eyes" can provide valuable feedback. Thanks for taking the time to provide. Let me address your points in order:

* Full-screen toolbar icon: A full-screen icon in the toolbar would be a nice addition. It is already on the list and would be there now if it wasn't that Apple's standard full-screen icon isn't available on Tiger. I'm not so sure on a second dedicated full-screen button though. Workspaces already offer the ability to do this.

* An "Add" toolbar icon: The Project toolbar icon serves this purpose. Perhaps in version 3, it could have a plus sign to make the function more immediately clear to first-time users.

* Recent projects on opening: Agree. This has been discussed elsewhere and is on the list for version 3.

* Character sheet names: The colors aren't currently theme-able. I'm guessing you have chosen alternate text colors for full-screen mode.

* A "Book Preview" mode: Thanks for the feature request.

* Unique icons for Chapters and Segments:

* Ability to select all text within one section only: You can do this by placing the cursor in the section and choosing "Select Section"

* The best timeline mode on the market: A popular request. See this thread, and this one, and this one, and this one.

* Add title page button: The novel and screenwriting templates have title pages, and I find that seeing the title page at the top of a manuscript is irritating during the writing process.

* Tutorial that pops up on the first run: Agree. Also on the list for version 3.

-Steve

Thanks for your reply, Steve, and my apologies for bringing up issues that have already been discussed.

Regarding the manuscript-only full screen mode, is it possible to include a setting tucked away in the preferences where the user can change the behavior? For example, a check box that says "always view manuscript only in full screen."

That way, I could see my notes in a left pane and characters in the right (one example), and just tap a button to go into a distraction free manuscript. It would be quick and easy to toggle back and forth, where as It would take me several steps to do so with the current configuration. It just seems like an unobtrusive option that could really speed up the workflow. It might not be right for everyone but I can think of a lot of cases where that would be a handy feature for me. EDIT: a special keyboard shortcut could be equally effective.

EDIT 2: If there is an ability to save views as opposed to Workspaces, meaning that content is associated with the Workspcae (for example, view 1 could comprize of stacked panels with characters on top and notes on the bottom, and another view with just the manuscript), can you tell me what I should be searching for in the help? Are there shortcuts for this kind of thing?

Thanks again, I'm loving Storyist!

Archived