Storyist Forums

Having problems with section sheets

vkier

I’m having some problems with section sheets:

1. In my current project I created a new section sheet collection to handle the section sheets for the second manuscript in my series. The Book 2 manuscript preferences are set to save new section sheets in the Book 2 collection. However, Storyist is still saving the section sheets in the Book 1 collection. How do I get it to save in the specified collection?
  2. I can’t attach a section sheet to a specific section. For example, I created a new section sheet and tried to drag it onto the collage for section X. All that happened was that the index card for the target scene moved down and to the right within the collage as if I’d dragged it instead of dragging the index card for the section sheet. The section sheet index card does not show up on the collage and when I check the section sheet’s preferences it still says it’s not attached to anything. This inability to drag and drop also happens when I try to move an existing section sheet to another section. I tested this in a new project with only one manuscript and had the same problem.

I’d like to be able to move section sheets around, particularly when I rearrange chapters and scenes, since I often want to combine more than one scene and have the collage show both sets of section sheets.

Any suggestions? I’m currently working in Lion, but had the same problem in Snow Leopard. Rebooting doesn’t help.

Thanks.

Vanessa

I’m having some problems with section sheets:

1. In my current project I created a new section sheet collection to handle the section sheets for the second manuscript in my series. The Book 2 manuscript preferences are set to save new section sheets in the Book 2 collection. However, Storyist is still saving the section sheets in the Book 1 collection. How do I get it to save in the specified collection?
  2. I can’t attach a section sheet to a specific section. For example, I created a new section sheet and tried to drag it onto the collage for section X. All that happened was that the index card for the target scene moved down and to the right within the collage as if I’d dragged it instead of dragging the index card for the section sheet. The section sheet index card does not show up on the collage and when I check the section sheet’s preferences it still says it’s not attached to anything. This inability to drag and drop also happens when I try to move an existing section sheet to another section. I tested this in a new project with only one manuscript and had the same problem.

I’d like to be able to move section sheets around, particularly when I rearrange chapters and scenes, since I often want to combine more than one scene and have the collage show both sets of section sheets.

Any suggestions? I’m currently working in Lion, but had the same problem in Snow Leopard. Rebooting doesn’t help.

Thanks.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

I tried to replicate the issues you specified, and here is what I've come up with. It looks like Storyist might not be recognizing the "Place In:" option for automatic sheet creation. I will create a bug report for Steve in case this can be addressed in a future update.

As for manually creating and adding sheets, this should work fine. Here are the steps I used. I created a new Novel document. In it, I created the following: a manuscript with a chapter (Chapter 1) and a scene (Scene 1), two sections (Section 1 and Section 2). Now, In both Section Sheets (normal view), I fill in the Summary with some text. If I switch to collage view, I should see an index card with the sheet title and summary. Now, I go to Scene 1 (collage view), and drag Section 1 to the collage area. It pops up a box asking if I would like to Attach it. I click Attach. That scene is now titled Section 1 instead of Scene 1. Also, it's index card now shows the Section 1 summary. Additionally, the Section appears as a tiny icon where I had dropped it. Now, I drag Section 2 on, but this time, I choose "Don't Attach." The scene remains named Section 1, but now I have two little section icons. At this point, both sections are linked to the scene. For added benefit, I right click on the Section 2 icon in the scene's collage view, then select "Display Selection As" and "Index Card." Now, I can see Section 2's name and summary as well.

Does this work for you as I've described? If not, what isn't working? Do post again to let us know how this is going.

Brian

Thanks for the response, Brian.

After reading your post I went back and tried again. It seems the issue was that with my screen in split view I was trying to drag the index card of the section sheet from its collage to the collage of the scene. When I tried dragging just the name of the section sheet from the hierarchy list to the collage of the scene I received the Attach/Don't attach option and was successfully able to attach the section sheet to the scene.

Thanks for your help!

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

I tried to replicate the issues you specified, and here is what I've come up with. It looks like Storyist might not be recognizing the "Place In:" option for automatic sheet creation. I will create a bug report for Steve in case this can be addressed in a future update.

As for manually creating and adding sheets, this should work fine. Here are the steps I used. I created a new Novel document. In it, I created the following: a manuscript with a chapter (Chapter 1) and a scene (Scene 1), two sections (Section 1 and Section 2). Now, In both Section Sheets (normal view), I fill in the Summary with some text. If I switch to collage view, I should see an index card with the sheet title and summary. Now, I go to Scene 1 (collage view), and drag Section 1 to the collage area. It pops up a box asking if I would like to Attach it. I click Attach. That scene is now titled Section 1 instead of Scene 1. Also, it's index card now shows the Section 1 summary. Additionally, the Section appears as a tiny icon where I had dropped it. Now, I drag Section 2 on, but this time, I choose "Don't Attach." The scene remains named Section 1, but now I have two little section icons. At this point, both sections are linked to the scene. For added benefit, I right click on the Section 2 icon in the scene's collage view, then select "Display Selection As" and "Index Card." Now, I can see Section 2's name and summary as well.

Does this work for you as I've described? If not, what isn't working? Do post again to let us know how this is going.

Brian

Archived