Storyist Forums

Very slow performance

Eleni

I've read a few threads here on slow performance but haven't found anything that pertains to my situation. It sometimes takes up to thirty seconds to save a file. I've tried some of your suggestions, such as turning of "Auto Save," and it hasn't helped. I also checked the Activity monitor and was surprised to see that Storyist takes up over %100 CPU when saving and over 800 MB in real memory. When not saving, it takes between 0 and 2% CPU! What a difference. When it gets stuck, I can utilize other programs and click outside the window. This problem is exclusive to Storyist on my computer.

I'm running Storyist on a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard, V10.6.8

Specs: 2.7 GHz Intel Core, Solid State HD, 4 GB memory.

The current file I'm working on is 2MB, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with it being too large of a file size. Any suggestions? This spinning beach ball is too much. I have to keep "Auto Save" off or it interrupts my writing.

Thanks,

Eleni

Hi Eleni,

I wanted to add that I started a new book last night and had no problems. Maybe it does have something to do with file size?

The culprit is usually old hardware or projects containing huge images, but given the details you provided (thanks for posting them), I don't think these apply to your case.

I did just fix a slowdown problem for another writer. In her case, the issue was that she had logged a large number of writing sessions, and due to a bug in the writing goals feature in an earlier version of Storyist, old session data had not been pruned.

If you've been using Storyist for a while and make frequent use of the writing goals feature, you could be running into this too. The next version of Storyist (out in a couple of weeks for NaNoWriMo) detects this case and corrects it. If you'd like, I'd be happy to take a look at your project file and see if the fix helps your situation. Send me a PM if you're interested.

-Steve

The next version of Storyist (out in a couple of weeks for NaNoWriMo) detects this case and corrects it.

Hello Steve

I was wondering if you would be willing to drop any hints at we might be expecting in the new release? Also is it for the Mac or iPad or both?

Phil

• 1 year later...

Archived