Storyist Forums

Having a problem adding sections

lifesmark

I have been trying to add a new section separator to a 120 page manuscript with no luck. I have numerous section separators within the manuscript already, but when I go to add a section separator the first time it appears to put a # indicator as it always has but does not add it to the Project view or the Outline view. When I click to add a section separator a second time it does. If I then try to replace the # symbol with text (something I have done without issue a thousand times before) the Section separator disappears from the Project view and the Outline view. It still appears in the Manuscript view and on the bottom it still indicates that it is a section separator.

Hi lifesmark,

I have been trying to add a new section separator to a 120 page manuscript with no luck. I have numerous section separators within the manuscript already, but when I go to add a section separator the first time it appears to put a # indicator as it always has but does not add it to the Project view or the Outline view. When I click to add a section separator a second time it does.

Do you have whitespace before or after the separator? If so, just remove it and the section will appear in the Project view.

If I then try to replace the # symbol with text (something I have done without issue a thousand times before) the Section separator disappears from the Project view and the Outline view. It still appears in the Manuscript view and on the bottom it still indicates that it is a section separator.

The separator character is the "#" character. If you replace it with a character other than the section separator, the corresponding section will indeed disappear from the Project view (since there is no longer a section separator to define the section).

Unless you apply a new style, the style indicator on the bottom will still indicate that the Section Separator style is applied to the paragraph even if you replace the section separator character.

-Steve

Archived