Storyist Forums

Sync with Webdav or anything but Dropbox

Mutz

I personally detest Dropbox. I can't bring myself to use software that relies heavily on it. Thankfully I've been able to find alternatives to everything I want to use for my iPad and Mac so far. I would really like to give Storyist a try. I've been looking for something like this for a while. But I need some other way to sync than Dropbox. I have Webdav setup on a personal server and that is how I sync every other application that I have when I need to be on the go.

Please consider a method of syncing that does not rely on Dropbox. Anything. I would give anything else a try.

Hi Mutz,

I personally detest Dropbox. I can't bring myself to use software that relies heavily on it. Thankfully I've been able to find alternatives to everything I want to use for my iPad and Mac so far. I would really like to give Storyist a try. I've been looking for something like this for a while. But I need some other way to sync than Dropbox. I have Webdav setup on a personal server and that is how I sync every other application that I have when I need to be on the go.

Please consider a method of syncing that does not rely on Dropbox. Anything. I would give anything else a try.

Storyist supports the "Open In" command, so if you use an app that supports it (like Evernote or Mail), you could use that to transfer your projects instead of Dropbox.

-Steve

What's the reason you detest Dropbox? It seems to be a very robust solution for what I'm doing with it today. It's only one of the sync solutions I use, but it seems to work fine.

Just curious if I'm missing something obvious here.

-t

• 2 weeks later...

What's the reason you detest Dropbox? It seems to be a very robust solution for what I'm doing with it today. It's only one of the sync solutions I use, but it seems to work fine.

Just curious if I'm missing something obvious here.

-t

I don't like that it doesn't act like a true server. If I copy something to it, it takes it off my hard drive even if I don't want it to. I know I can make a copy, but when in a hurry can forget that it doesn't act like any other server I've ever used.

Also they say that you can share files with others. I've done that and found out that instead of the files being on someone else's dropbox, the space is taken from your dropbox as well just because you accepted to "share" the folder. All of a sudden you don't have as much space as you thought because a folder you need to access now has lots of files in it, and even though it is not on "your" dropbox, the space is gone. Also if you share with a group of people and one person does not understand that this does not act like a typical server and they move a file to their desktop, no one can get to that file any longer.

I'm sure it is just me. But I find I'm annoyed nearly anytime I try to use Dropbox for anything more serious than a shopping list. And so that is pretty much all I trust it for.

Hi Mutz,

Storyist supports the "Open In" command, so if you use an app that supports it (like Evernote or Mail), you could use that to transfer your projects instead of Dropbox.

-Steve

Thanks for the response. I was actually hoping to sync with something besides Dropbox. I know that I can open the file, but syncing to a file that my computer can then read is what I was thinking would be nice. Open In and then Export seems to be a little tedious if swapping back and forth frequently.

Archived