Storyist Forums

Command-Enter or Command-/ don't work

tcconway

Hi.

New to Storyist and loving it.

So, when you're mad-dash writing, how do you start a new section or chapter from the keyboard? I see when clicking the gear at the bottom left of the screen that I should be able to press Command-Enter and Command-/ to create a new section or chapter respectively. But she's a no workie.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

TC~

post-2682-0-59071200-1370135901_thumb.jpg

It seems you have to select a chapter/section in the project list for this keystroke to work.

Still...I really wish it would work while you are typing. I really see this keyboard command useful when you are typing and come to the end of a section. Without grabbing the mouse and the cursor still blinking, just press Command-Enter and start typing at the beginning of a new section. At least that's what I hoped/expected.

It seems weird that you have to grab the mouse, select a chapter from the project list, hit Command-Enter just to continue typing...

My 2 cents.

TC~

Hi TC,

That's a great feature request.

There is another quick way to create chapters and sections without grabbing the mouse.

In Storyist, chapters are just paragraphs with heading-level styles, and sections are just blocks of body text separated by the section separator character (#).

You can use the tab and return keys to quickly create styles. Here's how:

1. Open the Storyist Preferences, select the Text Editing pane, and make sure that the "Pressing Return in an empty paragraph" and the "Pressing Tab in an empty paragraph cycles through styles" checkboxes are both checked.
  2. Select your manuscript in the Project view and choose Project > Edit "My Manuscript" Preferences, and make sure that the "Use the application preferences" radio button is selected.

Then, when you want to start a new chapter:

1. Position the cursor in an empty paragraph and press Return. The style chooser popover window appears.
  2. Choose "Chapter Title." A new chapter appears in the Project view.
  3. Type the title.

When you want to start a new section:

1. Position the cursor in an empty paragraph (having the body text style) and press Tab. Storyist changes the style to the style indicated by the "tab style" setting of the current style. In the case of the Novel template, this is the Section Separator style.
  2. Type a section separator (#). Notice that a new section appears in the Project view.

You can customize the behavior of the tab key by editing the styles in your document and selecting a different value for "tab style."

-Steve

Archived