Storyist Forums

Margin space in normal view

bodsham

This is a purely aesthetic request and maybe it means nothing to anyone but me. But as a newcomer to Storyist I have to say I think it's great except for one thing... and that is the simple writing experience in the normal view window. I find it very distracting having the text run up to within 5px or so of the edge of the window. Everything else I've ever used, from Word to Scrivener, gives you a bigger margin which sets off the text - which is what this is all about - from the rest of the stuff on your screen. Just a bigger margin around the edges - or an option to fix one - would be great.

This is a purely aesthetic request and maybe it means nothing to anyone but me. But as a newcomer to Storyist I have to say I think it's great except for one thing... and that is the simple writing experience in the normal view window. I find it very distracting having the text run up to within 5px or so of the edge of the window. Everything else I've ever used, from Word to Scrivener, gives you a bigger margin which sets off the text - which is what this is all about - from the rest of the stuff on your screen. Just a bigger margin around the edges - or an option to fix one - would be great.

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Is your file in Page Layout view, or Normal view? (In the Storyist menu, click on View to check and, if necessary, change). If it's in Page Layout view, you should see about an inch of margin space around the text. If that's not enough, you can change the margins through Format/Page.

You can also expand the size of the window by dragging on the lower right corner (entire window) or places where you see two vertical lines close together (to resize one part of the window relative to the rest), and you can zoom in and zoom out of the text.

Best,

Marguerite

Easy enough. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick question: what is your screen resolution? People who prefer Normal mode are generally writing on laptops with less screen real estate while people who prefer Page Layout generally have larger monitors.

-Steve

Easy enough. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick question: what is your screen resolution? People who prefer Normal mode are generally writing on laptops with less screen real estate while people who prefer Page Layout generally have larger monitors.

-Steve

I work with both a 21 inch Apple monitor and laptops. I'm only talking a few pixels. If you compare the margin with that in pretty much anything else it's a lot narrower than most. I see plenty of space in the Full view thanks - it's the cut down one where I spend most of my time.

I work with both a 21 inch Apple monitor and laptops. I'm only talking a few pixels. If you compare the margin with that in pretty much anything else it's a lot narrower than most. I see plenty of space in the Full view thanks - it's the cut down one where I spend most of my time.

I agree that it looks a little tight. My preference would be to increase the default to ~ 20px (the height of the ruler) with no option.

-Steve

• 5 months later...

Archived