Storyist Forums

Storyist getting slower and slower opening file.

stephenran

I hope someone can help. I have a worrying problem. My Storyist file has grown and the time to open has become increasingly, and now alarmingly long. The file itself is a lean 600kb, but my book is actually 1000 ages long (and mercifully not getting longer). I'm getting the spinning beachball for long periods. All the memory hogs (incl browsers and anything from Microsoft or Adobe) are closed. And I have this problem even when only the Finder and Storyist are open!

I'm using v3.1.2 on a pretty new MacBook PRO with 16GB of memory, running OS 10.10.3. Permissions repaired, no nasty third-party extensions running. I've even reinstalled the OS using the Combo Updater to see if that would help.

I'm a convert from Scrivener, but now I'm beginning to worry that if the file gets terminally corrupted and refuses to open I could be in big trouble. (With Scrivener, the "file" is actually a folder full of files, so a corruption there will not percolate to the whole.)

Any suggestions. I'm seriously worried.

Thanks

Hi stephenran,

I hope someone can help. I have a worrying problem. My Storyist file has grown and the time to open has become increasingly, and now alarmingly long. The file itself is a lean 600kb, but my book is actually 1000 ages long (and mercifully not getting longer). I'm getting the spinning beachball for long periods. All the memory hogs (incl browsers and anything from Microsoft or Adobe) are closed. And I have this problem even when only the Finder and Storyist are open!

I'm using v3.1.2 on a pretty new MacBook PRO with 16GB of memory, running OS 10.10.3. Permissions repaired, no nasty third-party extensions running. I've even reinstalled the OS using the Combo Updater to see if that would help.

1000 pages is long, but Storyist should handle that just fine. Some suggestions:

• Make sure the styles applied to the text are what you expect. If the manuscript changes style frequently, Storyist has to do more work when opening and closing the file.
  • Use heading-level styles for your chapters. (For example, the Chapter Title style in the Novel template). Storyist can optimize the work it performs when building the document outline when it encounters a heading-level style.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to take a look at the project file for you to see what is going on.

I'm a convert from Scrivener, but now I'm beginning to worry that if the file gets terminally corrupted and refuses to open I could be in big trouble. (With Scrivener, the "file" is actually a folder full of files, so a corruption there will not percolate to the whole.)

Any suggestions. I'm seriously worried.

Thanks

Storyist supports autosave and Versions. Though it is a rare occurrence, if a Storyist project ever gets "terminally corrupted," you can always revert to a backup using the Versions browser.

-Steve

Archived