Storyist Forums

Story sheet styles

lopezlink

I imported a novel from Scrivener and I'm having a lot of trouble keeping the styles straight. It seems every chapter is in a different style. Isn't there a way to set a default setting for story sheets so when I create a new chapter/scene, it will default to the spacing, first-line indent, etc? Every time I manually readjust the settings of a particular chapter and set it as a default style, Storyist decides to change (only) the first paragraph of that chapter to a single-spaced helvetica style and I find myself having to select "UNDO" a LOT.

Is there an option as simple as selecting a default style that will automatically be applied to EVERY chapter, unless I specify otherwise?

Thanks.

Hi lopezlink,

Welcome to the forums.

Is each chapter also in a different file?

Stylesheets in Storyist (and Word, and Pages) are per-file, so if you change the stylesheet in one file, you'll want to use the Format > Style > Change Stylesheet > Project Stylesheet command to update the other files as well.

This can get a little tedious, I know. (I've got several requests to make this a batch operation).

Most Storyist users keep their chapters and sections in a single file. (See the Novel template for an example.) Each section can still have an index card, outline entry, comments, etc.... and you can add/move/delete chapters and sections in the Project view the same way you'd do so with individual files. Perhaps this is an option for you?

New chapters and sections will have the appropriate Chapter Title or Section Text style (assuming you're using the styles from the Novel template), and changing the style definition will update the underlying text in the manuscript.

-Steve

Archived