Storyist Forums

Request: Automatic Place Holder

ggblk

When using Storyist, I switch a lot between the manuscript and the sidebar research docs.  Each time I come back to the ms, I'm taken back to the beginning of the doc.   Any way to fix this so I don't lose my place each time?  Thanks.

If you look at the top of the window, next to the name of your manuscript, you should see two arrows. Clicking on the left one usually takes you back to the place where you were before you went off to look at the research docs.

If that's not working (because you visited several notes in succession, for example), an easy way to get back is to ensure that all the parts of your manuscript are displayed in the Project View, so you can click on the one you want. To do that, click on your text to select the MS, open the Inspector, click on the leftmost icon at the top, and ensure that Enable outlining for this file and Include body text elements are both checked. If you also name your sections/scenes, that will help with the navigation.

You can see both these options in the attached screen shot.

Best, Marguerite

Navigation.png

Thanks, Marguerite.  The first option works well and should suffice.  The second option doesn't work for me because my ms. is a single text file from a custom template, so it doesn't expand in outline view.

However, it would still be nice if the program simply remembered my cursor position in the ms text.  Perhaps making this feature is more complicated than I realize.

On the last, I don't know. I'm a user, not part of the support staff.

Since I've always separated my MS into chapters and sections, I just click back and forth.

If you call  your chapters "Chapter X" and separate your scenes with #, it is possible to split the MS after the fact using Format > Styles > Apply Styles by Matching Text. Not sure how much the custom template complicates that procedure, though.

Best, M

Hi ggblk,

Welcome to the forums.

You can use the navigation bar to get back to your previous location. When you navigate away to check some research, just click the back button (View > Go Back) to return to your previous editing point.

-Steve

20 hours ago, Steve said:

You can use the navigation bar to get back to your previous location. When you navigate away to check some research, just click the back button (View > Go Back) to return to your previous editing point.

-Steve

Thanks, Steve.  This generally works fine for me.  But, if at all possible, it would still be nice if the program remembered my cursor position in the ms text.  Perhaps making this feature is more complicated than I realize.

Archived