Storyist Forums

Notebook Entries Disappearing

dangrgirl

When I open my file I get an error that says "Missing Notebook Entries?"

"This file appears to be missing the following notebook entires:

*lists them

A backup copy of this file has been created and labeled with the comment "Missing notebook entries?".

If closing and reopening the file does not correct the problem, please contact support."

The icons for the notebook entries are there, but they're blank. Where is the backup located? I can't find it. How can I fix this?

"This file appears to be missing the following notebook entires:

*lists them

A backup copy of this file has been created and labeled with the comment "Missing notebook entries?".

If closing and reopening the file does not correct the problem, please contact support."

The icons for the notebook entries are there, but they're blank. Where is the backup located? I can't find it. How can I fix this?

Hi, Lisa--

The backup files are found in ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Backups, where ~ stands for the name of your home folder.

As to why Storyist is eating your notes, our fearless developer, Steve, will have to comment on that one.

You don't tell us which software versions you're using (OS and Storyist). There was an old version of Storyist that particularly liked a nice snack of notes, as I recall, but version 1.5 seems to have solved that problem. Perhaps you need to upgrade the program?

Best,

Marguerite

P.S. I would make a copy of the backup before using it, if I were you. And depending on how you work and how you set up Storyist, you may also find older backups in the folder I just listed that will still have your notes. If you do, you can choose Export > Notes from the file menu and tell Storyist which ones you want converted to RTF files. Then you go to the file with Alzheimer's and tell it File > Import > Notes. Click on the RTF files for the lost notes and Storyist should put them back for you. The backups are regular .story files and behave exactly like your documents.

This is most likely due to an Apple bug that affects Storyist 1.5.2 and earlier.

Starting in Leopard, Apple began deleting files in temporary directories that have not been accessed in more than three days despite encouraging developers to use this directory and telling them that the files would be available as long as the application is running.

This means that if you close your laptop when Storyist (and other apps) are running and leaving it running for more than three days, some of your notebook entries (the ones you haven't touched) may be deleted.

If you're interested in the technical details, read the two posts in this thread.

I filed a bug with Apple, and am preparing a work-around for Storyist 1.5.3.

In the mean-time, please close Storyist before closing your laptop.

If you encounter this problem, you can retrieve your deleted files from a backup unless you've disabled the autobackup feature. The easiest way to do this is to open the Backups window (File > Backups), find the entries that Storyist reports are missing, and copy them back to the project. As Marguerite points out, these backups reside in ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Backups.

-Steve

You don't tell us which software versions you're using (OS and Storyist). There was an old version of Storyist that particularly liked a nice snack of notes, as I recall, but version 1.5 seems to have solved that problem.

The Apple bug affects all versions up to and including 1.5.2 (if you're running on Leopard). Version 1.5 added two features that mitigated the effects:

1) Autobackup--to help folks who aren't in the habit of making backups.

2) Early notification. Prior to 1.5, you would not find out that notebook entries were missing until you tried to access them in the project view. Since the bug affected notebook entries you hadn't worked on recently, you probably didn't notice they were missing until long after they were deleted. In 1.5 and later, Storyist performs a consistency check when you open the file and reports any issues.

-Steve

The Apple bug affects all versions up to and including 1.5.2 (if you're running on Leopard). Version 1.5 added two features that mitigated the effects:

1) Autobackup--to help folks who aren't in the habit of making backups.

2) Early notification. Prior to 1.5, you would not find out that notebook entries were missing until you tried to access them in the project view. Since the bug affected notebook entries you hadn't worked on recently, you probably didn't notice they were missing until long after they were deleted. In 1.5 and later, Storyist performs a consistency check when you open the file and reports any issues.

-Steve

I'm using version Storyist 1.5.2 and Mac OS 10.5.6, so I'll look for this problem to be solved with Storyist 1.5.3.

Archived