Storyist Forums

what happened to Campell's hero structure?

xian

in my trial version i had the campell hero's journey structure which I loved...cannot find in the version I paid for...unfair...mind you I just recopied my manuscript and have been a bit at a loss to use all the bits and bobs...all it looks like right now is a glorified word processors with bits attached...honestly am a bit disappointed...even the help button is very limited and limiting...sorry... :)

in my trial version i had the campell hero's journey structure which I loved...cannot find in the version I paid for...unfair...mind you I just recopied my manuscript and have been a bit at a loss to use all the bits and bobs...all it looks like right now is a glorified word processors with bits attached...honestly am a bit disappointed...even the help button is very limited and limiting...sorry... :D

Hi xian and welcome to the Storyist Forum.

Steve is actually pretty good about getting us the "bits and bobs" we ask for. Not perfect but pretty good. Check out the Feature Requests forum to see that I mean. As for the "Joseph Campbell's: The Hero's Journey story structure, well...if you still have the old copy you might be able to move its Template to the new version. (See ~User> Library> Application Support> Storyist> Templates folder of the Storyist templates.) If you can't find that template perhaps you can recreate it and use the Save As Template command, or ask Steve to send you a copy. (Steve?)

On the topic of the Help file, yeah, it's weak. But we tell ourselves that Storyist is still evolving so the file is in flux. (No, it's no excuse but it's what we tell ourselves. :) ) Some time after NaNaNeeNeeNoNoNanette month (very inside joke) Steve will try to set up a system where some of the Beta Testers (and others I hope) can contribute to the new and improved Help File. Perhaps even include a sort of "Storyist: The Missing Manual" file. We'll see.

So best of luck with your writing. The "bits and bobs" really do help a lot.

Your Observant,

-Thoth.

FYI: click here.

in my trial version i had the campell hero's journey structure which I loved...cannot find in the version I paid for...unfair...mind you I just recopied my manuscript and have been a bit at a loss to use all the bits and bobs...all it looks like right now is a glorified word processors with bits attached...honestly am a bit disappointed...even the help button is very limited and limiting...sorry... :)

Hi xian,

Don't worry, the Hero Journey template is still there. :D

The trial version and the licensed version are actually one and the same. Purchasing a license just allows you to continue to use it past the trial period.

When you create a new document, choose the Hero Journey template. If you've turned off the template chooser, you can re-enable it by opening the preference page (Storyist > Preferences...), choosing General, and making sure the Show Template Chooser dialog option is selected.

In addition to the Apple Help file, you might be interested in the Getting Started Guide, which is available from the help menu, and the "Using Storyist" section of these forums.

-Steve

Thanks Thoth and Steve, I was just a bit disappointed about the software's additional features and how one could access and use them, lack of clear assistance, at least to me, and I was not tired, so no defense. anyway thanks girls and guys...I'll be back...i hope..or else I'll just use storyist as a glorified Word with fancy options...stay well Xian

In my defense, I was tired and feeling dim-witted. (More than usual, anyway.)

Your no-so-observant,

-Thoth.

(I'll be quit now. :) )

You mustn't say the name!

IF

I have to admit, my initial reaction to Storyist was much like yours, Xian. I was keeping notes in a separate WPTMNBN (Word Processor That Must Not Be Named) :D file and found my introduction to Storyist rather overwhelming. But the more I've played with it, the more it's grown on me. I'd really miss it now, especially as an organizer.

Reading the forums, especially the "Using Storyist" section, may give you some ideas for unique things to try. Here are a few of my favorites (maybe others can contribute theirs):

If you create tiny JPEG files that match your mental image of your characters, you can drag them onto the Character Sheet for each person (just drop them where the Greek drama character now is). Then make sure the Storyboard is open and set to grid mode and click on the top level of your character list. All the images pop up on a virtual corkboard, where you can look at them as you write. You can also reposition the corkboard if you don't like its default location at the top of the screen (I keep mine on the right).

Even if you don't create all the possible plot and character development links, do take time to enter each character's age, build, eyes, hair, and a paragraph or so describing his/her/its background. Then while you're madly typing along and can't remember whether some minor player has blue eyes or hazel, the answer is just a click away. Try doing that in the WPTMNBN! You can also add your own attributes and assign them as needed. For directions, see my messages to Callista in the "Story Soundtrack" thread.

Group your characters, so you can see the same person at different stages in life or separate all the characters in the Federation from the Romulans and Klingons (you know they'd never get along in the same group!).

The notebook is immensely useful, and you can set up a link between the Plot, Character, or Section Sheet and a particular note just by typing. I think the code is [[Note Name]], but that one is in the Help files, which will eventually improve. (Search for "wiki links.")

When you have an overall map of your story, you can link the Section Sheets to stages in the Hero's Journey template. At this particular moment, there's a bug that doesn't always let you link from the Section Sheet to the Plot Point (Steve is working on it, but he's trying to write a novel at the same time!). But you can go through the Plot Points one by one and Control-Click where it says "Section," then choose "Assign to Section" and pick the one you want (don't freak if you see sections you already deleted--Steve's working on that, too). That way, you know you hit all the stages of the Journey somewhere along the way.

Make use of the Settings Sheets. I find the prompts very useful in helping me stop and think, "What does this place look like? Sound like? Smell like?" You can also add JPEGs here, if your imaginary setting corresponds in any way to a real place. If you click on Settings instead of Characters, again you can see those images as you work.

Even if you want to write in WPTMNBN--I do, mostly--you can use Storyist as a place to stash notes, synopses, character development charts, ideas that never pan out, pictures, title pages, experiments in rewriting that you want to work on before replacing your existing text, and the like. Storyist imports and exports RTF and .doc files almost seamlessly, so you can have the best of both worlds. I am currently rewriting the first three chapters of my novel in Storyist, because I'm not sure I can make them work, and if they don't, I haven't changed anything in the permanent file.

Last (for now, because I want to go write), but definitely not least, if you do encounter a problem, you can write to the Forums or directly to Steve and get a rapid response. The last 3 times I tried to get help with the WPTMNBN, I gave up in disgust, since my only choice seemed to be paying $35 minimum just to talk to someone about why their crummy product was crashing every other hour!

Which is not to say I don't use WPTMNBN. In fact, I do most of my writing in it while I wait for curly quotes and widow/orphan control to show up in Storyist. But one day.... :)

Oh yes, and welcome to the Forums.

Best,

Marguerite

Ditto. Just kidding. I wouldn't do that to you, Marguerite. (You might want to consider that "Storyist: The Missing Manual" project I've been kicking around. Again, nice job.) Perhaps part of this thread should be moved to the Using Storyist forum. I suggest you make your next stop, Xian.

I was keeping notes in a separate WPTMNBN (Word Processor That Must Not Be Named) :D file and found my introduction to Storyist rather overwhelming. But the more I've played with it, the more it's grown on me. I'd really miss it now, especially as an organizer.

The WPTMNBN (a.k.a Darth Processor) introduced its Outline View in response to complaints about how hard it was to organize notes and such. Storyist does that one better by adding some legitimate database functions to story development. (But I wouldn't mind some strong outlining functionality for Notes. I suppose that will come in time.)

Even if you don't create all the possible plot and character development links, do take time to enter each character's age, build, eyes, hair, and a paragraph or so describing his/her/its background.

When using attributes I find it useful to throw in adjectives. For example, HAIR: Black, short, blue highlights. I also like to include additional traits such as TENOR (e.g., bold, meek, passive aggressive, strident, sly), ETHNICITY and NICKNAMES. Storing nicknames are particularly useful when different characters have different names for a given character (Eg, Thomas, mother; Tommy, friend; Tom, wife; Dad, child.)

Group your characters, so you can see the same person at different stages in life or separate all the characters in the Federation from the Romans and Klingons (you know they'd never get along in the same group!).

Oh, those Klingons. I first started using folders to group very different descriptions of the same character. A kind of Bruce Banner/Incredible Hulk sort of thing.

The notebook is immensely useful...

I keep all my story research in the notebook now. The trick is to break it up into many Note sheets and include obvious keywords to find them again using Search (upper right side of window). Search is your friend. It's fast and easy. I even use it in combination with a three star (***) marker to mark parts of the story I want to come back to. (I rarely write linearly.)

When you have an overall map of your story, you can link the Section Sheets to stages in the Hero's Journey template...

I'm curious: does anyone here make extensive use of Plot sheets?

Even if you want to write in WPTMNBN--I do, mostly...

Marguerite, I am aghast! These days I only use the Dark Processor for non-story WP, if I can help it.

The last 3 times I tried to get help with the WPTMNBN, I gave up in disgust, since my only choice seemed to be paying $35 minimum just to talk to someone about why their crummy product was crashing every other hour!

Which may be the main reason I gave up on the Dark Processor (and Softie products in general) for serious creative work.

I do most of my writing in [the Dark Processor] while I wait for curly quotes and widow/orphan control to show up in Storyist. But one day.... :)

Steve, time is of the essence. If we lose Marguerite to the Dark Processor all is ashes!

Not hysterical,

-Thoth.

I'm curious: does anyone here make extensive use of Plot sheets?

I don't know that I'd call it extensive use, but I have used the Hero's Journey plot outline in the way I suggest. I can also imagine using the romantic plotline (perhaps filled out a little from boy wins girl, boy loses girl, boy gives up and watches sports :D ), although I haven't done nearly as much with Plot Sheets, or even Section Sheets, as with Characters and Settings. In part, it's because I can spend time working on the plot in the sheets or writing the plot on the page, and being a "pantser," I almost always choose the latter.

Marguerite, I am aghast! These days I only use the Dark Processor for non-story WP, if I can help it.

Steve, time is of the essence. If we lose Marguerite to the Dark Processor all is ashes!

Well, if I would just adopt Leopard, I'd have the curly quotes already, wouldn't I? :)

But no need to worry. If anything, Storyist is slowly winning me away from Darth Processor, at least for my creative work. I wrote 25 pages in it between yesterday and right now and used the Find command to replace all the straight apostrophes with curly ones.

Although it's true, I just exported the file so I can inflict it on my Storyist-challenged critique partner. (Ssshh, don't tell Thoth. We don't want to push him over the edge.) :)

M

I haven't had the need for another word processor since I purchased Storyist. Okay, tell a lie, the widow and orphan thing does drive me a bit wild at times, so I run the final stuff through Pages or Mariner Write to eradicate them. But everything else has been great for me. I've just set up a very bare template modeled upon the SWAIN technique and this is mostly for the PLOT SHEETS (Dwight V Swain - Techniques of the Selling Writer) and that's all I need. The character sheets, and being able to see them as I write is a godsend, also using the Chapter/Section writing method I find myself writing a whole lot more, and keeping that writing more organized.

I just wish there was something either similar or compatible for Windows on my laptop (damn, why didn't I buy that Macbook!).

PJ

Archived