Storyist Forums

Comic Script Template Help

witz

Hi Vets, I'm a n00b here and could use some help.

I'm trying to create a Comic Book Template for use on Storyist for both iPad and Mac, and I'm having trouble with a few aspects.

So, I found a pretty good template in the other threads, but it doesn't quite fit my setup the way I think it should. (maybe I'm wrong)

http://storyist.invisionzone.com/index.php/topic/840-help-on-creating-template/page__p__6506__hl__%2Bcomic+%2Bscript__fromsearch__1#entry6506

This Comic_Book.story was provided by BT Jeppesen. (Very cool, thanks.)

Here's what the Outline hierarchy looks like:

post-1520-0-16727200-1313702413_thumb.png

And here's what I think the outline should look like for my purposes (From OmniOutliner):

post-1520-0-60698400-1313702441_thumb.png

So, maybe I just don't get the way this outline hierarchy is supposed to work, but I don't understand why, in the Comic template, a Panel has Children and Grandchildren. the Panel Header contains a Section Heading? I don't get it. Then the Section Heading contains an Untitled Scene? Huh?

I was able to use styles to make a template (which I might have since trashed) that had the h1 h2 h3 h4 settins set up to reproduce the structure of my OmniOutliner example, but every new element would nest inside the previous, not go back to the proper Outline Level.

Also, since I plan to use this on the iPad mostly, I'd love it if I could use that cool icon based formatting bar in the iPad app that is visible in the Screenplay Template. I would probably use the Scene button for a Panel, the Action style button for Panel Description, and then use the remaining as they are usually used. It seems like all I would have to do is export the iPad template and build this structure into it. I was able to do that, adding styles and messing with the Outline Levels, and the formatting bar still showed up when I loaded it in the iPad, but I ran into that endless nesting problem.

Oh yeah also, how do you make a custom style show up in the Add to My Script menu?

any help is most appreciated.

Thanks,

~Witz

Also, if I work out my Sequences and Panels, can I just go in later and Add the Page Headers in the appropriate spot and then have the children fall into place automatically? Is that possible in this system? Can it all work if I leave one Outline Level out in the beginning and add it in later? I work from Sequence Chunk to Specific Panel needs, then I figure out which pages those Panels will fall on.

Hi Witz,

I developed my own Comic Script template, but it too may not be what you want. As I'm sure you know if you've downloaded or read a lot of comic scripts, everyone sort of has their own preferred format and there is no right or wrong. Mine is less "screenplay-like" and more "comic-like" but the hierarchy and outline looks pretty similar.

There will always been an "untitled section" in Storyist documents, as far as I know, because every different heading level has a "section" underneath it. That's why you see "untitled section" in the hierarchy. The disclosure triangles reveal their own "untitled sections" because that's the way that Storyist is designed. You can rename them, or do what I do, and simply ignore them.

And yes, if you go back and added "parent" items later everything should fall into place underneath them. That shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome to the forums,

Orren

post-625-0-67518600-1313705105_thumb.png

Hi Witz,

I developed my own Comic Script template, but it too may not be what you want. As I'm sure you know if you've downloaded or read a lot of comic scripts, everyone sort of has their own preferred format and there is no right or wrong. Mine is less "screenplay-like" and more "comic-like" but the hierarchy and outline looks pretty similar.

There will always been an "untitled section" in Storyist documents, as far as I know, because every different heading level has a "section" underneath it. That's why you see "untitled section" in the hierarchy. The disclosure triangles reveal their own "untitled sections" because that's the way that Storyist is designed. You can rename them, or do what I do, and simply ignore them.

And yes, if you go back and added "parent" items later everything should fall into place underneath them. That shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome to the forums,

Orren

Hi Orren,

Thanks for the feedback. Steve mentioned you might be the one to ask. :)

That setup looks like it would work for me. I like the more "comic-like" aspect of your template.

Would you be willing to share that here? or privately? I'd be most obliged.

Thanks,

~witz

Hi Orren,

Thanks for the feedback. Steve mentioned you might be the one to ask. :)

Go figure. :)

That setup looks like it would work for me. I like the more "comic-like" aspect of your template.

Would you be willing to share that here? or privately? I'd be most obliged.

Drop me a PM and I'll be happy to send it over!

Take care,

Orren

Archived