Storyist Forums

Built In Dictionary?

Synergi

I'd love to have one so I can highlight a word right on the page and the dictionary pops up with the definition. Sort of like it works on Kindle. Its a chore to have to duck out of the app to pull up my dictionary app to do this.

Just a thought..

Really love the App..

Syn

Hi Synergi.

I'd love to have one so I can highlight a word right on the page and the dictionary pops up with the definition. Sort of like it works on Kindle. Its a chore to have to duck out of the app to pull up my dictionary app to do this.

Highlight a word right on the page and control-click. Select "Look Up In Dictionary" (third choice from the top) from the contextual menu and the dictionary pops up with the definition.

Abracadabra.

-Thoth.

Highlight a word right on the page and control-click. Select "Look Up In Dictionary" (third choice from the top) from the contextual menu and the dictionary pops up with the definition.

Abracadabra.

-Thoth.

Abraca-Austrian village-dabra indeed. Wow! Thanks for showing us that, Thoth. And thanks for asking, Synergi. The synergies here are indeed amazing.

-Paul

Except that Synergi was asking about the iPad app. Control-click works in the Mac version, but there is no Control key on the iPad.

Double-tap the word, and when the Cut/Copy/Paste options pop up, tap the right arrow. You'll see the option "Define." Tap it, and the dictionary definition pops up. You will probably have to dismiss the virtual keyboard before you can read it.

Welcome to the forums, Syn.

Marguerite

Except that Synergi was asking about the iPad app.

Oopsie.

Thanks for clearing that up M.

Of course, now Ironbark/Paul is going to banish me to Abraca,

while Synergi goes crazy looking for a clickable Control button.

Not a bad night's work.

-Thoth

Double-tap the word, and when the Cut/Copy/Paste options pop up, tap the right arrow. You'll see the option "Define." Tap it, and the dictionary definition pops up. You will probably have to dismiss the virtual keyboard before you can read it.

Thanks M.

BTW, I'm not sure how many people are still using iOS 4, but this is an iOS 5 feature.

-Steve

Except that Synergi was asking about the iPad app. Control-click works in the Mac version, but there is no Control key on the iPad.

Welcome to the forums, Syn.

Marguerite

Thank you Marguerite for the welcome, and for telling me how to do it. I had no idea there was a dictionary already. That just made this App even better! Thanks to everyone else that responded also. You guys are awesome!

Archived