Storyist Forums

Control over templates

carve

It would be nice if we could have more control over the templates for the various elements inside of Storyist (characters, settings, plot). If the pages were external to Storyist in say XML or HTML format, where we could modify and expand them with both static and custom fields that would be great.

I find myself wanting to add more pictures, larger pictures, more fields, specific fields, changing the format of the templates, etc.

If they were a standard format like XML or HTML with placeholders for info that would give the community a way to expand Storyist and share templates between each other.

carve

It would be nice if we could have more control over the templates for the various elements inside of Storyist (characters, settings, plot). If the pages were external to Storyist in say XML or HTML format, where we could modify and expand them with both static and custom fields that would be great.

I find myself wanting to add more pictures, larger pictures, more fields, specific fields, changing the format of the templates, etc.

If they were a standard format like XML or HTML with placeholders for info that would give the community a way to expand Storyist and share templates between each other.

carve

Absolutely! Stay tuned...

carve

You can already do much of the work you want to do with fields. See my mini-tutorial for Callista on how to add a custom field (Storyist Forums/Storyist/Feature Requests/Story Soundtrack?).

You can also change formats, if you mean things like fonts, spacing, alignment, and the like (click on an example of the style you want to change, then choose Format/Style/Edit current style). Then choose the "Save as Template" option under file. Images are a little more complicated--I think Steve has to adjust the programming for that to work.

Templates are, I think, just .story files that are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Templates, where ~ is your home folder. Any file you like can become a template by copying it into that folder, at which point it shows up in the initial file selection group. And you can share them with others through the Storyist Forums/Storyist/Sharing section of the boards.

Not too many people have chosen to do this so far, but you can find an alternate Novel template and a Screenwriting template with acts as well as scenes there already.

Not all you asked for, I know, but a beginning.

Marguerite

You can already do much of the work you want to do with fields. See my mini-tutorial for Callista on how to add a custom field (Storyist Forums/Storyist/Feature Requests/Story Soundtrack?).

You can also change formats, if you mean things like fonts, spacing, alignment, and the like (click on an example of the style you want to change, then choose Format/Style/Edit current style). Then choose the "Save as Template" option under file. Images are a little more complicated--I think Steve has to adjust the programming for that to work.

Templates are, I think, just .story files that are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist/Templates, where ~ is your home folder. Any file you like can become a template by copying it into that folder, at which point it shows up in the initial file selection group. And you can share them with others through the Storyist Forums/Storyist/Sharing section of the boards.

Not too many people have chosen to do this so far, but you can find an alternate Novel template and a Screenwriting template with acts as well as scenes there already.

Marguerite

Thanks Marguerite. I'll check out your suggestions.

carve

Marguerite

Thanks Marguerite. I'll check out your suggestions.

carve

Archived