Storyist Forums

Kindle gen problem

mmvoss

I’m very new to computers and storyist. so here goes. I wrote my story with storyist no problem. Exported to ebook mobie, My real name was listed as author in the process. I changed that to my non de plume. When exporting was finished and I went to my Kindle library Both names, my real name and my non de plume showed as authors. Went through the process twice same result Two Part question When I export to Amazon will this happen also, and if so how do I fix it?

I don't want to leave an "old guy" hanging but I've never experienced this problem and don't know how to fix it.

I can only assume that both names appear in the source code and you may have to go in and fix it by hand. Maybe not.

In any case, someone will eventually come to your aid once they spot this in the forums. (Possibly Steve, possibly M.)

Hang in there.

Fellow Old Guy

-Thoth.

The file exported to .mobi is the file you will upload to Amazon, as far as I understand it, so yes, you need to fix it here and check it on Kindle for Mac or Kindle Previewer before you upload something that has information you don't want.

That said, I export to .mobi with some frequency and have never encountered this problem (I too use a nom de plume). So I have some questions for you.

1. How did you change the information? Did you overtype the default entry in the author box and hit return, or did you add information in the metadata box below the author and title? If the latter, you inadvertently told Kindlegen to display both names.

2. Do you have the same problem when exporting to ePub? (To read an ePub file, you need either an iDevice or one of the free ePub readers such as calibre) or one of the paid ePub readers available through the Mac App Store, such as Murasaki or Bookle).

I tried to attach a screen shot showing an example of the publication information screen set up for a pseudonym, but the forums are still being cranky about accepting uploads and it didn't take. :angry:

Best, and welcome to the forums,

Marguerite

I think that I have found the problem along the way you suggested. In the process of exporting into mobi my real name was already listed at the top, just below the title space, as the author. I erased that and typed my nom de plume. When I got down to the metadata I put my real name as author. I never realized that that these two names would show up in the same place somewhere Thanks for your help. ps How did my real name show up as author in the first place?

Yup, that would do it. The metadata identifies the file (the author name in the box is also metadata—Storyist is just assuming that your book has a title and an author, so it makes those entries crystal clear).

I don't know how your real name got in there. If you didn't enter it, then Storyist read it from your Mac or the registration file or the headers in the novel or even from Word (if you imported the file). It's not magic, though! :)

Best,

M

So sorry being a pain,but if I fill out the metadata when I export to mobi, does that interfere or makes double with metadata asked for by amazon when one publishes for their kindle.

When you export to MOBI, you are creating a Kindle-compatible file. The metadata are associated with and display in that file. You upload the file to Amazon.com.

When you upload the file to Amazon.com, you will also tell them about the file by filling out a form. But that is not the file itself. So you need to enter the metadata when you create the MOBI file (which is the same as exporting to the Kindle or exporting for Amazon). Whatever information Amazon.com requires on its form is, I think, so it can keep track of you and your sales figures and (very important!) know where to send the money :) and other administrative stuff like that. For example, you probably don't want them cutting a check, if that's what they do, to your pseudonym.

That said, I personally haven't yet uploaded a book to Amazon. Maybe Orren or HippieChyck or one of the others who has could chip in at this point.

Best,

Marguerite

Archived