Storyist Forums

Automatic Sequential Numbering

Steve E

I was recently using the Act_Scene template and had to make a change in the dialog. Basically, it was an extensive insert. Needless to say, the numbering is now hopelessly screwed up. I suppose I'll just have to re-number everything once I'm finished (whenever that is).

To be blunt, anyone using Storyist for a screenplay is going to need a little something it currently doesn't have. In a word: Automatic Sequential Numbering. Okay, three words. Anyone seeing Storyist for the first time, using the Act_Scene template, is going to assume it has ASN (and I don't mean the Adobe Solutions Network). This could be perceived as deliberately misleading (by strangers. We know you're God's Gift to creative writing but others might not see you that way.)

We may have talked about this elsewhere but I don't think anyone has made an actual request.

A.S.N. A.S.N. Rah!

-Thoth.

I was recently using the Act_Scene template and had to make a change in the dialog. Basically, it was an extensive insert. Needless to say, the numbering is now hopelessly screwed up. I suppose I'll just have to re-number everything once I'm finished (whenever that is).

To be blunt, anyone using Storyist for a screenplay is going to need a little something it currently doesn't have. In a word: Automatic Sequential Numbering. Okay, three words. Anyone seeing Storyist for the first time, using the Act_Scene template, is going to assume it has ASN (and I don't mean the Adobe Solutions Network). This could be perceived as deliberately misleading (by strangers. We know you're God's Gift to creative writing but others might not see you that way.)

We may have talked about this elsewhere but I don't think anyone has made an actual request.

A.S.N. A.S.N. Rah!

-Thoth.

Hi Thoth,

Erwan made the request here (and you were the first to reply :) ).

As you alluded to then, scene number is not something that you'd typically include in a script you were trying to sell (i.e. a spec script), at least in the U.S.. It is a necessary production feature, though, and the request is on the list.

I don't think it is misleading but for the record, there are several production features that Storyist doesn't support, including

• Automatic scene numbering.
  • Revision Tracking (A/B scenes)
  • MOREs and CONTINUEDs

-Steve

Erwan made the request here (and you were the first to reply :rolleyes: ).

Oops. My bad. Sorry Erwan. It must be the lateness of the hour getting to me. But it was from August, for goodness sakes. :blink:

As you alluded to then, scene number is not something that you'd typically include in a script you were trying to sell (i.e. a spec script), at least in the U.S.. It is a necessary production feature, though, and the request is on the list.

Yes. I also mentioned that if one person asks for it then you have to include it. (Sometimes they're mean that way.)

I don't think it is misleading...

Of course not. But if I saw Storyist for the first time using the Act_Scene template, I'd assume ASN. Yes. Yes. I know that when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME (mostly me), but still, this is what I'd think. Sellers ignore potential buyers first impressions at your own peril.

...but for the record, there are several production features that Storyist [currently] doesn't support, including: Automatic scene numbering, Revision Tracking (A/B scenes), MOREs and CONTINUEDs.

"For the record"? This forum or a blurb on the box? If you say you support screenwriting people are going to make certain assumptions (repeat assume-joke here).

I'm sorry. Worrying about how you are perceived as a businessman by others is not really any of my business. Forget I said anything. Delete the entire thread if you like. It probably doesn't add anything to the forum anyway. We had it nailed back in August '07.

Sleepy.

-Thoth.

Oops. My bad. Sorry Erwan. It must be the lateness of the hour getting to me. But it was from August, for goodness sakes. :rolleyes:

Yes, but why pass up an opportunity for a little good-natured kidding. :blink: Sorry if that wasn't clear from the reply. :)

Yes. I also mentioned that if one person asks for it then you have to include it. (Sometimes they're mean that way.)

If this were the case, there would be some seriously bloated software out there. :)

Of course not. But if I saw Storyist for the first time using the Act_Scene template, I'd assume ASN. Yes. Yes. I know that when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME (mostly me), but still, this is what I'd think.

I assume(:)) you're talking about the template I posted here. Seems like a stretch to me, but I guess you could assume that because there were numbers in the scene headings that they were put there automatically.

Fortunately, if someone is using that template, they've been to these forums (and are already using Storyist).

Sellers ignore potential buyers first impressions at your own peril.

Likewise ignoring feedback from a trusted power user.

"For the record"? This forum or a blurb on the box?

For the record this forum provides, both for the folks who are following along, and for those who arrive here from the future via Google.

If you say you support screenwriting people are going to make certain assumptions (repeat assume-joke here).

I'm sorry. Worrying about how you are perceived as a businessman by others is not really any of my business. Forget I said anything. Delete the entire thread if you like. It probably doesn't add anything to the forum anyway. We had it nailed back in August '07.

Sleepy.

-Thoth.

Thanks for the feedback and for the concern. I'll take it to heart.

-Steve

Yes, but why pass up an opportunity for a little good-natured kidding. :rolleyes: Sorry if that wasn't clear from the reply. :blink:

Sorry. As I said (last night) I was sleepy (exhausted actually - visits to my Dad always do that to me).

If this were the case, there would be some seriously bloated software out there. :)

Well, there is some seriously bloated software out there. (Not Storyist, of course.) But that wasn't my point. If I send an ms to someone who insists that their company logo (or a copyright notice) appears on every page then I have to be able to do that. (And I can.) I'm not saying that this is in any way common and I'm not saying Storyist needs to be able to do that. I'm saying I need to be able to do that. But a scene numbering request by a producer is common enough so that it is something you might want to include someday. I'm not saying it's absolutely necessary (liker formatting) or mind-bogglingly useful (like spell checking) or even creatively supportive (like pictures of characters on the Storyboard). It's just something you might need once the work is kicked out into the cold cruel world.

I assume(:)) you're talking about the template I posted here. Seems like a stretch to me, but I guess you could assume that because there were numbers in the scene headings that they were put there automatically.

Yep. That would have been my assumption if I saw that template used in an ad.

Fortunately, if someone is using that template, they've been to these forums (and are already using Storyist).

Ah. So you're not going to be using it in an ad or demonstrating it at MacWorld?

Likewise ignoring feedback from a trusted power user.

You are a good man Steve Shepard.

For the record this forum provides, both for the folks who are following along, and for those who arrive here from the future via Google.

I was wondering about those Google references in the Visitors list. Now I know. Thanks.

As always, Your Observant,

-Thoth.

Archived