Storyist Forums

New Member Introduction - WendyTokunaga

I didn't see a topic for new members to introduce themselves, so I thought I'd start one!

I first met Steve at MacWorld in 2007 and fell in love with Storyist. I wanted to buy it, but alas, I was a Windows user. Well, it's one year later and I have seen the light and recently purchased an iMac. And when I went to MacWorld 2008, I made a beeline to the Storyist booth and met Steve again. And now I am a Storyist-er and I can't wait to use the product. I think it will make my life as a writer more organized and I'm sure it will also increase my creativity.

My debut novel, MIDORI BY MOONLIGHT, was published by St. Martin's Griffin in Sept 2007. I am feverishly working on my second book for them (deadline: March 1) so I don't have time right now to plow into Storyist. But I plan to use it soon after I hand in my book as I'm working on ANOTHER novel for my MFA program. Yes, I *am* kind of busy.

This looks like a great group here!

---Wendy

Hi Wendy, and welcome to Storyist.

It's wonderful to have someone here who is so willing to share her writing experience. I purchased your book on Amazon.com (MIDORI BY MOONLIGHT, $11.16 new, $6.95 used, extensive excerpts and back cover available for viewing at Amazon site) and am looking forward to reading it when it gets here.

My best to Stokemaster T,

-Thoth.

BTW: This introduction thread is a great idea.

Thanks so much for buying the book, Thoth! I appreciate it. It's very nice to be here and I am happy to answer any questions people may have about getting an agent, the publishing process, etc.

---Wendy

Yes, welcome, Wendy, and congratulations on your two-book deal. That's wonderful: a real inspiration to the rest of us!

Thanks also to Thoth for the link to Wendy's query letter. No wonder it snagged an agent. I no doubt will have questions, but I'll try to keep them specific. For now, the example is excellent. I think PJ started a thread somewhere (in General Topics? Can't recall) asking about experiences with agents, though. Perhaps you could contribute to it when you have a chance?

I am not a new Storyist user, being one of the beta testers, and am not a new Mac user either (fell in love with my Performa in 1995 and never looked back). But I find myself expanding my use of Storyist over time. Right now, I'm revising chunks of a completed but not yet published novel. Filling in the sheets gets me to think of elements of the story I might otherwise not consider, which I can then incorporate into my writing. And if I did nothing but stash notes there (as I did in the beginning), it would still be worth its weight in gold!

And while I can't imagine being organized enough to plot everything out before I begin the next book, I do intend to flesh out the characters and settings as much as possible before I start writing.

But of course, while you're under deadline is not the time to play with it....

Best,

Marguerite

Thanks, Marguerite. Just for the record I want to say that I am not technically a new Mac user. Back in the day I actually had a Mac SE. And I even worked for Apple for a time (for eWorld, if anyone remembers that). But for work eventually I had to go over to the dark side. So glad to be back. :-)

Thanks, Marguerite. Just for the record I want to say that I am not technically a new Mac user. Back in the day I actually had a Mac SE. And I even worked for Apple for a time (for eWorld, if anyone remembers that). But for work eventually I had to go over to the dark side. So glad to be back. :-)

I do remember eWorld, so now you know just how ancient I am. :D

I, too, had a Mac SE back in the day. Set a computer newsletter in ReadySetGo 1.0 (for those too young to know, ReadySetGo was the precursor of PageMaker, itself the precursor of InDesign, Adobe's flagship desktop publishing program).

I thought ReadySetGo was extremely cool, but I never quite cottoned to the sideways toaster effect. Or the teeny-tiny keyboard. So I, too, went to the dark side for a while (DOS, in those days--not even Windows!). But when I needed a new computer, my hubby talked me into buying a Mac, and I've been a convert ever since.

I did have an ancient PC for a while because the folks I worked with couldn't handle the concept of file exchange. Blasted thing crashed once a day (Windows 98), always at the moment when I'd just done four hours work and forgotten to save. When it died, I refused to get another one. And guess what, the co-workers discovered they could use my files after all. I'd only been telling them that for 7 years....

Anyway, nuff of that. Welcome back to the Jedi, and thanks for the tip about Publishers Marketplace.

Did I see Midori by Moonlight advertised in Romance Writers Report? The title sounded familiar, but the book cover didn't ring any bells. (Looks interesting, though--I'll have to check it out.)

Best,

Marguerite

Oh, well it's comforting that eWorld rings a bell for somebody. :-) There are people, though, who were around back then who have never heard of it!

I'm not familiar with RWR, so I'm not sure if Midori was mentioned there. I have done a lot of my own marketing and promotion for the book and if RWR is print, that's not easy to get into, though I've managed a few things. I keep up with online mentions via Google Alerts.

---Wendy

Thanks also to Thoth for the link to Wendy's query letter.

Sorry Marguerite, but it was Steve who provided that link. It's also available through Wendy's Web Site, whose link is available in her personal statement (at the bottom of her posts).

As long as we're talking Apples (and Oranges), my first Apple was the Apple II in 1977 (or '78, I'm not sure). I bought my first Mac in 1984, when it was first available. No hard disk. Miniscule RAM. I bought the Mac SE (Special Edition) largely because of the prominent "SE" (my real-life initials) but never regretted it. I've stuck with Macs at home ever since. Sadly, at the office it has either been networked terminals or any in the long history Microsoft (the Orange) Operating Systems. At any given year, comparing the two, Mac OS has always come out way ahead. The lesson here is that "better" doesn't always mean "more successful".

What a world.

-Thoth.

Sorry Marguerite, but it was Steve who provided that link. It's also available through Wendy's Web Site, whose link is available in her personal statement (at the bottom of her posts).

As long as we're talking Apples (and Oranges), my first Apple was the Apple II in 1977 (or '78, I'm not sure). I bought my first Mac in 1984, when it was first available. No hard disk. Miniscule RAM. I bought the Mac SE (Special Edition) largely because of the prominent "SE" (my real-life initials) but never regretted it. I've stuck with Macs at home ever since. Sadly, at the office it has either been networked terminals or any in the long history Microsoft (the Orange) Operating Systems. At any given year, comparing the two, Mac OS has always come out way ahead. The lesson here is that "better" doesn't always mean "more successful".

What a world.

-Thoth.

So it was. My mistake. Thanks, Steve!

M

Archived