Storyist Forums

From iPad to iPod Touch 5G

JSR

I don't know if this is the right forum for this request, but here goes:

With my iPad 1st Gen getting further left behind by Apple, I've had to make the choice between buying a new iPad that I can't afford or updating my 2nd Gen iPod Touch. I will be getting the iPod Touch for Christmas (actually, I already have it, but I'm not using it 'til Christmas).

Given that the iPod Touch 5th Gen has a wider screen resolution than the iPad, will Storyist be made available for the iPod Touch 5G/iPhone 5?

I'm able to transfer many of my other apps - like Apple's own Pages and Numbers - from my iPad to my iPod Touch at no further cost, so I can still access my Pages and Numbers documents, but I fear that I'm going to have to abandon Storyist when my iPad becomes too old to run it.

It seems a little daft that Storyist is available for the lower powered and lower horizontal resolution iPad, but it isn't available for the more powerful and higher horizontal resolution iPod Touch 5G.

Is this something that's going to be remedied soon?

As a possible alternative for my story-writing needs, I've recently begun investigating the Softmaker Office for Android suite - a single app/purchase which runs on both my Android phone and my Android tablet. It's also also available for my PC/netbook (and numerous other platforms). Having Storyist limited to just one device is beginning to feel restrictive. Making it available for the 5th Gen iPod Touch/iPhone 5 would go a long way towards alleviating that restriction.

Is there any chance of this happening?

Hi JSR,

It seems a little daft that Storyist is available for the lower powered and lower horizontal resolution iPad, but it isn't available for the more powerful and higher horizontal resolution iPod Touch 5G.

Is this something that's going to be remedied soon?

Storyist for iPad currently runs on any version of iPad, even the oldest and the mini. The iPhone (and iPod Touch) is a different platform from a software point of view, and Storyist for iPad does not yet run on it. However, an iPhone version is in the works.

By the way, though the newer "Retina" models have higher pixel densities, the effective screen size on even the oldest iPad is greater than the newest iPhone/iPod. The screen size on the iPad is 1024 x 768 and on the iPhone/iPod 5 is effectively 568 x 320. Apple quotes 1136 x 640 for the 5, which is double the resolution in each dimension, but since the pixel size is halved (which is why images appear crisper), the size of each interface element is also doubled (so that the buttons are actually big enough to touch reliably).

-Steve

Good to hear that there's an iPhone version in the works. As there's more work involved, I take it this'll be a whole new purchase? If so, I'll have to consider how much I'll use it because I won't be able to replace my iPad for some considerable time, in which case my iPad Storyist won't be used in the future - and I already have quite a number of alterations and notes in a couple of my projects that I can't transfer elsewhere.

But thanks for your efforts. Storyist is a great app. It's also a cautionary tale about apps that are limited by platform (this is why I don't tend to buy too many iOS or Android apps - because I fear not being able to use them just a couple of years later).

Archived